• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #6] Rangers at Calgary Flames — Chyting up

Drew a Penalty

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

FWIW, at this point, it’s pretty safe to say Kreider is the best net front presence in the league, no? That tip in goal was beautiful, and that play in particular has become a staple, where he stands off to the side and is able to angle the puck right up over the shoulder. Just a picture perfect deflection.

Not that Kreider was bad last year, but he's looking like 52-goal season Kreider right now. Yeah, he might disappear too much still and can be lazy at times, we all know this. But he looks about as locked in as he did that season. Also, Panarin looking like 2020 Panarin on top of that could be a dangerous thing. I love that he's shooting more and looks more engaged than ever. Those goals he had the other night against Seattle showed me as such.

• JIMMY! 1

So even if you get past the 1-3-1, there's this guy with a mask and cape at the other end named Superman who you can't beat with an AK47!

What saves by Igor last night to steal one for us.  Not a bad effort, but certainly not a Picasso by any stretch.  Fuck it!  We'll take it, and also the 2 points. 

Some great play again by Panarin's line, with Yukon lighting the lamp AGAIN, and Chytil getting his apple on...and here are the Top 11 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Maxwell House, the only beverage needed to make it all the way to the postgame show on this west coast trip!

10 hours ago, siddious said:

What are we thinking 8am puck drop? Ive already gone through my 6pack lol

10 hours ago, Cr00zng said:

What are they talking about? The Rangers do have consistency, consistently inconsistent…

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’ll be the first to admit I never watch a whole hell of a lot of Winnipeg games. But, am I the only one who thinks Blake Wheeler looks like he learned how to ice skate yesterday, can I?

10 hours ago, Karan said:

Too late, I'm sure Ozzy's already trying to ID her name and number.

I found it in like 2 minutes!  😉

10 hours ago, Keirik said:

Mangiapanne sounds like some fancy French dessert 

10 hours ago, siddious said:

This team never fails to make you regret staying up late 

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

Wheeler with or without a stick; no difference!

9 hours ago, phillyb said:

Keirek probably asleep but I'll shout PEEEEEEEEE

9 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

When the ladies tell Kreider "just the tip", he still hits the spot every fucking time.

9 hours ago, Valriera said:

Always feels better watching the defender teabag the goalie after 

8 hours ago, siddious said:

They probably figured he would just use his giant… ah never mind I don’t wanna get suspended 

You know, it feels pretty good to say "1st Place Rangers"!  I thought we could've played a little better in the 3rd, and was reminded of those "Hang on for dear life" games, with Igor being the entire support system.

But make no mistake, we're rolling on the trip so far!  I felt like 3 wins and 6 points would be a good score.  Now I wanna win 'em all!

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to our defending Champion, The G-Man @LindG1000!!!  Yessir, that tip is lethal, son!!!

Ladies Beware!!! 

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Igor made some huge saves for sure.

But Rangers defended well. Kept a lot to the outside, not a ton of prime scoring chances, and they blocked a good number of shots as well. 

In coming games, I'd like to see them have more of a transition game off turnovers while shutting teams down in the neutral zone, 7.  I know that's down the pike a bit, but I think, or at least hope that's where we're headed.

Igor was able to see a lot of shots last night, but there more high danger chances than I'd like to see.

No worries man, we'll get there!

1 minute ago, phillyb said:

Who's job was it to pick up Coleman on the first goal? I never played hockey so I'm genuinely asking. 

Chytil. He's the center, so it's his job to cover the man in front when the defenseman slades behind the goal line, he should never chase, only move in to help if it was 2 Flames vs 1 Ranger down low. Bad read by him.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valriera said:

chytil - 2 guys behind net on that play is the mistake

It’s actually 3 guys deep. And you can put some of it on LaFreniere too.

He has Coleman marked, then sees 3 guys go deep, below the goal line. 

If you watch, the puck goes below the goal line, and Lindgren, Fox, and Chytil are all in a straight line almost, and they all wind up below the goal line, which is a no-no, and LaFreniere peels left towards the near boards, seemingly deliberately, to cover the puck moving up ice.

Yes, it’s what he’s supposed to do, but once he sees Chytil go deep, he’s got to stay with Coleman. 

That said, it’s a bad luck play all around.

Its an unlucky turnover in the neutral zone, Panarin should’ve just let that puck go through, and then an unlikely recovery by Calgary that leads to the goal.

But if Laf stays with Coleman, they don’t score.

I can’t blame him too much though. He followed protocol and Chytil should not have gone deep. 
That’s the structural breakdown 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Chytil. He's the center, so it's his job to cover the man in front when the defenseman slades behind the goal line, he should never chase, only move in to help if it was 2 Flames vs 1 Ranger down low. Bad read by him.

Laf missed his read too.

Yes, Chytil should not have gone that deep. But Laf sees him do it, so he’s got to stay in the slot. Not peel off. 

But yes, it’s Chytil’s mistake that’s the problem. 

Edited by RangersIn7

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Laf missed his read too.

Yes, Chytil should not have gone that deep. But Laf sees him do it, so he’s got to stay in the slot. Not peel off. 

But yes, it’s Chytil’s mistake that’s the problem. 

Yea, if Laf slid over he'd just be covering Chytil blown assignment. It's not on Laf. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea, if Laf slid over he'd just be covering Chytil blown assignment. It's not on Laf. 

No

Not at all

Thats on Chytil for creating the situation.

Laf should read that better.

But as he gains more experience he will.

A seasoned vet makes that read.

A 22 year old kid doesn’t. 

But it’s ok

100% on Chytil and nobody else. It's like he thought he was on the forecheck.

I didn't see it last night, but the attempted trip after the goal by Shesterkin is such a sore loser thing to do. I can't decide if I love it or hate it. It's definitely funny though. He got pissed enough to not let them get another one all night, and he stood on his head doing it.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I believe we call this the Henrik Lundqvist special.

Yes and no.

In theory, like Laviolette said, they defended too much in the 3rd. But, as much as Calgary dictated the play, it wasn’t like we were bleeding out dangerous chances. Igor made a few gigantic saves last night; two in particular, one being that big right pad save in the 2nd and another big time one in the 3rd.

But, previous years, he would be under siege. And the Rangers would be giving up major chance after major chance. I’m not saying last night was a Mona Lisa, but they’re trending in the right direction. They’re learning how to defend. Calgary pushed in the 3rd but a lot of their push was kept to the outside. Yeah, the beginning of the game was sloppy as hell and we were bleeding out chances; I get that. But after that? Aside from a few beautiful saves, it wasn’t like previous years where we needed Igor to be Marty Brodeur and Dominik Hasek reincarnated. If we can continue to make strides as far as defending goes and limit teams to the outside primarily, we’re going to be piling up a lot of W’s.

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

100% on Chytil and nobody else. It's like he thought he was on the forecheck.

I didn't see it last night, but the attempted trip after the goal by Shesterkin is such a sore loser thing to do. I can't decide if I love it or hate it. It's definitely funny though. He got pissed enough to not let them get another one all night, and he stood on his head doing it.

Coleman lifts his leg up in excitement/celebration and Igor's stick catches on his foot. I don't think that's an attempt to trip Coleman. Is that what you're talking about?

3 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Yeah idk, they got shit on and Igor bailed them out:

[removed tweet]

Disclaimer: I only watched the 1st. 

2nd was all special teams. 

3rd was basically all Flames in an effort to muster offence/chances/goals. 

Igor had to make big saves throughout. 

That one's on Chytil....twice actually.  He fails to gain the zone and turns it over at their blueline, and then on the defense, you don't chase as the center there. 

Laf is the F3 there and has to cover the point man, or any pass through to the weak side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

BSBH GDT should be required reading for every NHL fan! Man you guys are good. There is a little bit of everything; sound hockey analysis with a thorough description of the 'error' to back it up, loyal fan excitement, accurate exasperation from blown plays, and some hilarious original material that if you haven't peed recently will make you wet your shorts. (G-man with the G-spot joke was priceless.) Seriously, If you missed the game, these threads are better than watching the highlight video. Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

• Like 1