• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is There a Culture Issue?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm sorry but I just don't subscribe to the idea that they don't try. 

Add into the fact that it's almost like there's another team on the ice competing against them and are trying really hard to win a hockey game too...

I would say the biggest problem this season so far has been goaltending. And that's always going to be the case, when your starter stinks it's really hard to win. In the games that they have lost, Igor has not been good. 

HDCA first 4 games

5 - W

10 - L

4 - W

12 - L

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

HDCA first 4 games

5 - W

10 - L

4 - W

12 - L

That doesn't change what I said. He's letting some stoppable goals. His HDSP is .667... Average distance of goals is 15 ft.

He has not been good. 

Edited by Pete

Just now, Pete said:

You were also told it's been four games lol. 

That's true. But you can also say it's been a whole training camp (where every training was so high level/intensity and better than they've ever trained before) and 4 games into the season and so far nothing's really changed.

I will reserve my judgment, especially for Lavvy, but so far it's going like I feared. When things are going bad they're falling back on their east-west, over passing bullshit instead of "the system". I'll give them 15-20 more games to get it, but Kreider's comments about how they already know the system, just needs to be consistent in the effort is alarming.

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

That's true. But you can also say it's been a whole training camp (where every training was so high level/intensity and better than they've ever trained before) and 4 games into the season and so far nothing's really changed.

I will reserve my judgment, especially for Lavvy, but so far it's going like I feared. When things are going bad they're falling back on their east-west, over passing bullshit instead of "the system". I'll give them 15-20 more games to get it, but Kreider's comments about how they already know the system, just needs to be consistent in the effort is alarming.

That's not what he said. He said they have to keep moving their feet and play smarter, then he referenced Saros' puck handling ability and bad dump ins. 

Agree, it's on Lavvy to correct it. 

Regardless of whether folks thought a coaching change was enough change, everybody agreed that this team was not going to be a Ferrari out of the gate.

I'm not really sure why people are overreacting over this stutter that we all knew was coming. 

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

They finished last season 8th most high danger chances against.

Right now they're 16th. Something is different. 

Talking about only 4 games, then using those 4 games to come up with a really small sample size to prove that things are different?

We've played 4 teams that most likely won't make the playoffs.

Just now, Pete said:

That's not what he said. He said they have to keep moving their feet and play smarter, then he referenced Saros' puck handling ability and bad dump ins. 

Ok, my bad then. But my point still stand. Not moving your feet and not playing smart goes under "being consistent". Those are two things that should be easy to do consistently trough 82 games, but they're just not.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Talking about only 4 games, then using those 4 games to come up with a really small sample size to prove that things are different?

We've played 4 teams that most likely won't make the playoffs.

Well we only have four games worth of data to pull stats from, I don't know what else you want lol. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agree, it's on Lavvy to correct it. 

Regardless of whether folks thought a coaching change was enough change, everybody agreed that this team was not going to be a Ferrari out of the gate.

I'm not really sure why people are overreacting over this stutter that we all knew was coming. 

It's not an overreaction. The thread was opened asking a question. We're answering.

I'll gladly preface my entire opinion with a giant, red, flashing "THIS SAMPLE SIZE IS TOO SMALL" warning, though.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's not an overreaction. The thread was opened asking a question. We're answering.

I'll gladly preface my entire opinion with a giant, red, flashing "THIS SAMPLE SIZE IS TOO SMALL" warning, though.

Feels like an overreaction to me. 

Systems are necessary. Adjustments are necessary. Structure is a requirement. But it is still the players who determine the outcome. At some point — and probably much sooner than later — outside fascination with Laviolette’s system will fade. And attention will be directed, as always, on the players.

As it was on the Rangers during and following Thursday’s belly flop of a 4-1 defeat to Nashville at the Garden, in which the home boys were a step and a thought slow pretty much from start to finish and lacked the battle level to overcome their sloth.

It wasn’t the system that let down the Rangers; it was the Rangers who let down the system and each other. They could not establish any type of meaningful forecheck. They had issues getting out of their own end. They were disconnected with and without the puck in the neutral zone, while yielding a pair of breakaways and nearly two handfuls of odd-man rushes.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/19/peter-laviolettes-system-can-only-bail-out-rangers-for-so-long/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Even strength goals: 7

Notable goose eggs at this point: Zibanejad, Chytil, Trocheck, Kakko.  Lafreniere scored like 5 minutes into the season and no points since then.  

We're 4 games into the season and we have Zero even strength goals from our Centers.  Fox and Miller have 1 even strength point between them.

It's not like the Rangers have faced defensive powerhouses either.

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

You were also told it's been four games lol. 

They finished last season 8th most high danger chances against.

Right now they're 16th. Something is different. 

The product on the ice looks very different from last year. It appears they have plays and plans from dump in plays to zone entrys and breakouts. Last year was wheel and deal; the only consistency was Zibs one timer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Not that the Senators would do this deal but if we could get Brady Tkachuk for Adam Fox and Alexis Lafreniere do we make that deal?

I get the idea, but Fox is a no-go. He might have some flaws in his playing style, but he’s still a top 3 D in this league and will be for the next 10 years.

It’s the top 6 that need some changes, not our top D pair.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I get the idea, but Fox is a no-go. He might have some flaws in his playing style, but he’s still a top 3 D in this league and will be for the next 10 years.

It’s the top 6 that need some changes, not our top D pair.

Fox is not Brian Leetch but Tkachuk could easily be Adam Graves.

I think if the culture is the issue then Adam Fox is expendable in the effort to repair that as long as you get another young star back in return.

15 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Not that the Senators would do this deal but if we could get Brady Tkachuk for Adam Fox and Alexis Lafreniere do we make that deal?

I wouldn't, and this just doesn't really work as a hockey trade. If you were going this route, it would have to be something like Brady Tkachuk + Thomas Chabot for Adam Fox + Filip Chytil + Alexis Lafreniere.

Team swaps centers and 1RD, and Sens get the hometown loser.

Also, to be clear, I would not do this. I fucking love Brady, but not for Fox.

• Like 1

Not that I would entertain the idea of trading Fox, but if he was traded I would hope the return would be better than Brady Tkachuk.  Fox is one of the top players in the league regardless of position.  
Biggest problem is the same as last year, right wing and a center for Panarin. 
I would consider a trade that involved Chytil for Strome.  Depending on what the other components of the trade would be. 
And I still move Lafraniere for a pick and sign Kane.  

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

If I'm trading Fox, it's for a league-leader. Matt Tkachuk. Not Brady. Brady's bigger and meaner, but far less productive.

I'm not so sure on this.  They both have a lot of talent and they're both young.  It would not be a shocker if Brady had the better numbers when all is said and done.

If the culture is the issue, it’s Panarin and/or Zibanejad that need to be moved to start correcting it. These are the two best forwards and they have not shown that balls to the wall killer mentality that is required. Maybe you can get away with one of these guys near the top of the lineup, but two on two separate lines sets the tone and style for the entire top 6.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1