• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Paying Attention to Patrick Kane; Sike! No, They Aren't

Phil

If the Rangers let go of Vesey or Pitlick, they would have enough to likely sign Kane, as I don’t think he would be looking to break any type of bank to return here. He knows the situation.

If, for arguments sake, it was Pitlick who went, Vesey could remain as 13F. Kane would slide in somewhere in the Top-9 and Cuylle would likely slide down to play with Goodrow and Bonino.

18 hours ago, Br4d said:

You have to be kidding here.  Kane will block Othmann like a block of granite in his way.

Rangers fans always think that getting the big star will put us over the top but what we wind up with is the sloppy seconds left over after the "star" has exhausted his star power.

See Phil Esposito for case one in that and Phil Esposito was twice the player Patrick Kane is when we acquired him.

Patrick Kane is like the opium on the ice for Rangers fans this year.  He's a pipedream.

First off we don’t know what Kane will look like yet. He’s coming off major surgery at 35, and isn’t likely to be ready until December.

Secondly, he may want to go elsewhere and he’s an UFA. 
So we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

And if you are concerned about the price on Kane, keep in mind, we don’t know what it will be yet, but it’s almost certainly coming on a 1 year deal. 

But he doesn’t block Othmann. Not at all.

Kane plays the RW exclusively.

Othmann has only ever been a LW.

If they get there, they get there, and you deal with it.

30 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

First off we don’t know what Kane will look like yet. He’s coming off major surgery at 35, and isn’t likely to be ready until December.

Secondly, he may want to go elsewhere and he’s an UFA. 
So we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

And if you are concerned about the price on Kane, keep in mind, we don’t know what it will be yet, but it’s almost certainly coming on a 1 year deal. 

But he doesn’t block Othmann. Not at all.

Kane plays the RW exclusively.

Othmann has only ever been a LW.

If they get there, they get there, and you deal with it.

Othmann said he played a bit of RW last season in Jrs and he played some RW in preseason. I don't know what position he's playing in Hartford. 

How's Backstrom doing? Haven't heard much about him except he came back quickly last year and really wasn't much to speak of. Supposedly he was going to turn a corner in the off season and make it happen this year. I don't see Kane being too much of a threat this year or perhaps ever. Hopefully I'm wrong. I follow these hipster guys and so far, Murray is the only one who has done a little something.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Othmann said he played a bit of RW last season in Jrs and he played some RW in preseason. I don't know what position he's playing in Hartford. 

Yeah, I know he’s played it on a limited basis. 
I have no idea where he’s playing there either

• 2 weeks later...

If it essentially means Kane replaces Wheeler I'm totally in. Not sure what Wheeler is really offering us right now, though aside from Kane, I'm happy to give Wheeler more time to get things going, especially if he isnt actively hurting us.

If we need a cap dump, maybe Goodrow, Jones and a pick to SJ for some scraps? 

Like if the odd man out can be that Wheeler is not playing every night, I think him being fresh for the latter parts of the season/playoffs does us a world of good

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything

They need to be certain on Kane, if that’s a direction they go in, at any time or price.

Backstrom had the surgery, came back early and was ineffective. He’s done little thus far this season….

And now he’s “stepping away for health reasons”

Obviously everyone is different but it’s definitely something to keep an eye on

• Keeps it 100 1

The way Kane sounded in the exit interviews last year sounded similar to the way Brendan Shanahan sounded back in 2007. He basically said listen, go do what you have to do and we’ll talk. Shanahan seemed like a slam dunk to come back, which he did. Kane doesn’t seem like as much of that, that’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is he was cognizant of the cap constraints and that the Rangers had work to do with signing RFA’s and whatnot. He wanted his crack here, got it and wasn’t able to play to his full potential. I don’t think he wanted to push his way here for just a cup of coffee. I think he would be willing to work with Drury, especially coming off the type of surgery he just had.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The way Kane sounded in the exit interviews last year sounded similar to the way Brendan Shanahan sounded back in 2007. He basically said listen, go do what you have to do and we’ll talk. Shanahan seemed like a slam dunk to come back, which he did. Kane doesn’t seem like as much of that, that’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is he was cognizant of the cap constraints and that the Rangers had work to do with signing RFA’s and whatnot. He wanted his crack here, got it and wasn’t able to play to his full potential. I don’t think he wanted to push his way here for just a cup of coffee. I think he would be willing to work with Drury, especially coming off the type of surgery he just had.

That wouldn’t surprise me.

Hes made a ton of money, so I don’t think he’s chasing that.

I think he wants to win some more. 
And he’s always been a “big market” guy.

Wants to win in a place where hockey matters. 

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Kane seems like a slam dunk to me. I don’t like it, but it seems pretty guaranteed to happen. I don’t think he gives a shit about the $ figure this year.

While I'd love to see more Kane as a Ranger, he's my favorite player, I'm not sure he really fits after seeing him skate. That PR video was nowhere near vintage Kaner.

I don't think he'd produce enough in the top 6 (nor should he be relied on to at this point), and Lavvy has a role for the bottom 6 where he doesn't fit.

When I talk about the Rangers adding him, it's more because I think they will, not because I think they should. However if they do, defending him will be my hill to die on. 🤣

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

While I'd love to see more Kane as a Ranger, he's my favorite player, I'm not sure he really fits after seeing him skate. That PR video was nowhere near vintage Kaner.

I don't think he'd produce enough in the top 6 (nor should he be relied on to at this point), and Lavvy has a role for the bottom 6 where he doesn't fit.

When I talk about the Rangers adding him, it's more because I think they will, not because I think they should. However if they do, defending him will be my hill to die on. 🤣

I’ll admit: mine too. I’m in the same boat as you and many others are when there’s a soft spot for a guy like Kane, who is the favorite players of many people from this generation.

I still think there’s juice there worth squeezing. Even on one hip last year, he wasn’t that bad here. If he’s a bit more healthy and willing to come for peanuts, I’m all for giving him a go.

FWIW, all of the orthopedic surgery sites recommend a full year of recovery before returning to real physical activity and *none* of them recommend physical activity that includes contact.

They talk about swimming, hiking, golf and cycling.  They talk about avoiding things that put particular stress on the hips, no breaststroke, no butterfly, etc.

I know the prospects of coming back at all from something like this, let alone being effective, is slim, but I still want it to happen. 😆 Kane is also one of my favorite players, and I don't want his stint here to be a short one, and that early flame out in the playoffs. Sign him for the rest of the season and see what he has left. If it's encouraging, they can bring him back next year with an increased cap and more time in general to make moves. Do it!!

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I know the prospects of coming back at all from something like this, let alone being effective, is slim, but I still want it to happen. 😆 Kane is also one of my favorite players, and I don't want his stint here to be a short one, and that early flame out in the playoffs. Sign him for the rest of the season and see what he has left. If it's encouraging, they can bring him back next year with an increased cap and more time in general to make moves. Do it!!

I’d love nothing more than to see him come in a do great things and be Patrick Kane. 

But from what I’ve heard, and from what some others have posted, the 4-6 month recovery window doesn’t seem to do it. 
As of today, he’s 5 months removed from the surgery. Who knows how close he is to actually being able to pass a physical and get medical clearance to actually play. 

And now we’ve seen Backstrom come back after it, albeit ahead of schedule which may have been a mistake, and need to step away again.

I don’t think it’s a big risk to sign him if they ultimately do that. But they’ve got to be sure he’s healthy and can be at least reasonably effective.