• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

16 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm not comparing Bedard and Lafreniere on the ice, but I will compare opportunity.

Bedard first 2 career games TOI:

21:29

21:44

Lafreniere:

13:21

16:31

Lafreniere has broken 20 minutes in a regular season game once in 3 years (cue the fat jokes). Bedard has done it in his first two games. The point here is, nobody knew Lafreniere was going to struggle, but the approach with him right out of the gate was completely different.

Yes

Normally that 1OVA goes to a shit team and gets force fed minutes right away and all that comes with it. 
Laff didn’t get that. 
And he never forced his way up the lineup. 
And on the occasions where he did get bumped up, it didn’t last long. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yes

Normally that 1OVA goes to a shit team and gets force fed minutes right away and all that comes with it. 
Laff didn’t get that. 
And he never forced his way up the lineup. 
And on the occasions where he did get bumped up, it didn’t last long

thats what she said 

Laviolette said that Chytil would likely resume taking face-offs and that Lafreniere stepped up to take them in Chytil's return from the injury.

Not to question him but Chytil is terrible at face-offs.  Career 40.3% at the dot.  Maybe he thinks he has something to teach about face-offs that will help?

34 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Laviolette said that Chytil would likely resume taking face-offs and that Lafreniere stepped up to take them in Chytil's return from the injury.

Not to question him but Chytil is terrible at face-offs.  Career 40.3% at the dot.  Maybe he thinks he has something to teach about face-offs that will help?

Hopefully Peca works with him

and gets some improvement out of Chytil in that area.

• Keeps it 100 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:01 AM, BrooksBurner said:

Agree and partly disagree at the same time. The traits on display last night were traits he has shown before. Finding open space. Being around the net in scoring position. Forechecking. Having an active stick. Exhibitng good hand/eye with deflections. These traits are less noticeable than the ones that jump off the tv at you. The difference last night is he was a half step quicker than we’ve seen previously, and it amplified all those traits. Whether it was from improved offseason conditioning, confidence, or a throw away opening night energy boost, we shall see. It is a glimpse of what he can be if he’s got that extra “oomph” in his step though.

A coaching staff that actually utilizes/harnesses what he does best can help quite a bit too.

13 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

They’ve said his conditioning isn’t an issue.

He did well on all the conditioning tests.

I think we’ve all made too much of it.

He was a step behind and slow all preseason.  He's still huffing and puffing. I didn't hear a thing about doing well on conditioning tests. Got a link on that info?

Doesn't matter. He had a good game.  He looked better. I'm pleased and hope he continues to play the way he did in game 1. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He was a step behind and slow all preseason.  He's still huffing and puffing. I didn't hear a thing about doing well on conditioning tests. Got a link on that info?

Doesn't matter. He had a good game.  He looked better. I'm pleased and hope he continues to play the way he did in game 1. 

Mercogliano said on New Ice City. 

https://theathletic.com/4971174/2023/10/19/nhl-lineup-experiments-patrik-laine-alexis-lafreniere/?source=nhltw

After a disappointing training camp and preseason, Lafrenière came out of the gate with one of his best performances ever as a Ranger in the season opener. It wasn’t just that he scored a rebound goal, he was genuinely driving offense and dishing the puck well all night. Here he is making a slick pass to set up Chytil on the doorstep for a Grade-A chance.Lafrenière’s confidence was oozing. On the play below, he feathered a cross-seam pass to Panarin, got the puck back and then danced around Owen Power to drive the net hard for a scoring chance.The Panarin, Chytil and Lafrenière line has been on fire through three games. Lafrenière was decent in the Rangers’ second game, even though he failed to pick up a defensive assignment on one of the goals against.

He was quieter against the Coyotes on Monday night. His line was still strong, but that’s mostly because Panarin and Chytil were playing lights out. Lafrenière, meanwhile, looked a bit slow and mostly invisible until he started making more of an impact on the forecheck in the third period.

Lafrenière’s had a positive start as the complementary piece on a top-six line that’s been electric. He’s probably deserved another point or two based on how he’s played and needs to make sure he doesn’t let this momentum fade.

• ALEXIS! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Jump on board the Munchkin-Mobile, RJ!! 

Anything more than 1 goal for him in October will be a pleasant surprise for me.

I'm seeing the samething.  A good game once in awhile with not much in between.  Consistency and his work ethic are still a big question mark for me on his game.   He's averaging almost 16 minutes a game which is probably at least 45 shifts so far?  What has he had 5-6 good shifts?  Say 10 at most?

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Anything more than 1 goal for him in October will be a pleasant surprise for me.

I'm seeing the samething.  A good game once in awhile with not much in between.  Consistency and his work ethic are still a big question mark for me on his game.   He's averaging almost 16 minutes a game which is probably at least 45 shifts so far?  What has he had 5-6 good shifts?  Say 10 at most?

ugggg if this proves to be true-  no way the Rangers can have another 40 point season from this mirage of a first overall pick.  Laf seriously is a huge question of what motivates this guy?  He's literally lost out on somewhere between 20-40 million dollars in this second contract of his pro debut and yet he appears to be playing as if it does not even matter.

• ALEXIS! 1

24 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

ok, I'll save you a seat then!  LOL

• LMFAO 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Define good. A shift that generates a quality scoring chance? Ok, maybe I’d estimate 10 or so like you are. A shift that possesses the puck but doesn’t generate a quality chance? I’d say that’s well more than half. That line has not been stuck playing in their own zone too often so far (twice as many shots for than against). There’s definitely a Panarin effect to account for with that, but Chytil and Lafreniere have both been carrying their weight and doing their part IMO. Like the rest of the team so far, they have to start converting more of the chances they are generating.

Figured I’d give this a little bump.

Hes at 3 goals through 6 games. He’s skating probably better than he ever has and looks to have a lot of confidence right now. His tip-in tonight, as Joe mentioned, was simple. Was on the outside, passed it up top and went to the middle and got a stick on it.

Him skating with someone he’s familiar with in Chytil and one of the better playmakers in the sport in Bread looks to be paying dividends for all. Another really strong game for the trio. Lafreniere looks comfortable. Made a really nice pass early on to Panarin for a one-timer, he was physical, he was in on the forecheck. He’s looked good. Hopefully the redemption tour continues. It would be massive for this organization to get this kid lifted to new heights.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • ALEXIS! 2
  • Believe 2

He's been noticeable and engaged in almost every game. Big steps in the right direction on that front, and other noticeable yet incremental progress across the board. 

Hopefully this is the tip of the iceberg for him. 

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1
  • Believe 1

They’ve looked very good together thus far.

All of them.

And I think the point of having two guys with real familiarity plus a play driver like Panarin has been a huge point to the early success. 

Id like to see one or two go in for Chytil. Laf has been very good, and Panarin looks amazing, but Chytil is really impressive right now. 

I think out of all three of them Kakko has been the worst, and that's not to say he's been necessarily 'bad' per se. Overall I really like what I'm seeing from everybody. It's almost like giving Laf and these big ice time with top guys would be helpful. lol But they're looking damn good playing together too.