• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Extend Qualifying Offers to Miller, Lafreniere, Others

LindG1000

18 minutes ago, BreakawayMachine said:

So here is every goal by Laf during last season. Honestly besides 2 or 3 slick moves all of his goals are random tips or garbage cleanups. A goal is still a goal but it would be nice to see him look dangerous.

2022-23 Alexis Lafrenière Goals

Phil Esposito scored 717 of the ugliest goals ever recorded.  If Yukon gets hit in the ass with it and it goes in, I'm happy....He's not going to electrify the crowd.  I think that ship has passed.  He had a couple of good moves...(the same one twice, actually) to score a couple, but I still think his trademark is going to be going to the dirty areas and banging in rebounds and tipping pucks in front.  He has some good grit in him...(along with a few Twinkies), but I'm seeing Mr. Cornelius pulling out of his nose-diving bust moniker this season.

I think you're right though, "A goal is a goal"!

Welcome aboard!!!!    ...and by the way hold on tight!  It's a great ride up here!  This crew is probably one of the more entertaining bunches you'll find!!! 😃

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, BreakawayMachine said:

So here is every goal by Laf during last season. Honestly besides 2 or 3 slick moves all of his goals are random tips or garbage cleanups. A goal is still a goal but it would be nice to see him look dangerous.

2022-23 Alexis Lafrenière Goals

I don't know what you were looking at.  I saw mostly goals when the Rangers were tied late and a lot of greasy goals where Lafreniere was in front with a couple of guys on him.

If he does that twice as often as he is now he's a top 10 forward in this league.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

20 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I don't know what you were looking at.  I saw mostly goals when the Rangers were tied late and a lot of greasy goals where Lafreniere was in front with a couple of guys on him.

If he does that twice as often as he is now he's a top 10 forward in this league.

This is a forechecking player.

Let him be that

21 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I may have worded it poorly, I agree with you. I was trying to say he is more of a cleanup guy. Which is fine because the scoreboard doesnt care how the puck crosses the line.

But what I was trying to say is he isnt a playmaker in the way of putting the game on his stick. He wont take a puck from Igor and drive the play all the way down and create a problem like a Panarin or Zbad.

Is the other team nervous when he is carrying the puck? I am not so sure, which means thats not good value for a 1st overall.  But if they fear him when he is near the crease that is some value.

1 minute ago, BreakawayMachine said:

I may have worded it poorly, I agree with you. I was trying to say he is more of a cleanup guy. Which is fine because the scoreboard doesnt care how the puck crosses the line.

But what I was trying to say is he isnt a playmaker in the way of putting the game on his stick. He wont take a puck from Igor and drive the play all the way down and create a problem like a Panarin or Zbad.

Is the other team nervous when he is carrying the puck? I am not so sure, which means thats not good value for a 1st overall.  But if they fear him when he is near the crease that is some value.

I don't know about them.....but I certainly am!!!!

• LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1

47 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's so simple! Just be twice as good as you are? Is that all? Why didn't they just say so earlier?

It's like the time GG told Chytil to just play more like Zib. Because it's so simple.

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 2
  • The Chyt! 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

It's so simple! Just be twice as good as you are? Is that all? Why didn't they just say so earlier?

It's like the time GG told Chytil to just play more like Zib. Because it's so simple.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

that was GG developing players 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I always assumed the comment was about wanting Chytil to play 200 feet instead of the kind of disjointed style he has where he suddenly gets active when the puck is in his vicinity.

Just now, Br4d said:

I always assumed the comment was about wanting Chytil to play 200 feet instead of the kind of disjointed style he has where he suddenly gets active when the puck is in his vicinity.

And possibly, It might have been. But that's not what Chytil heard, nor was what he heard in his power to do.

Similar to "just go do that twice as often."

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

sVAcrE.gif

Screenshot-2023-07-06-at-2-19-59-PM.png

Screenshot-2023-07-06-at-2-21-20-PM.png

Screenshot-2023-07-06-at-2-20-32-PM.png

Screenshot-2023-07-06-at-2-20-46-PM.png

5v5 numbers nearly identical. ES GAR/xGAR nearly identical. Zibanejad's PP presence elevates him. Something Chytil hasn't gotten yet, but he's only going on 24 y.o. so...we might be waiting a couple years yet before he's a staple on a PP unit to find out what he can do.

• JIMMY! 1

OK, now explain to me what any of that means.

Zib is a mediocre 5v5 player. Chytil is better? Zib dines on PP. Chytil doesn't get much PP time. I think I agree with all of this, but you hit me with an avalanche of blue bar good red bar bad, so I have no god damned idea if that's what those charts say.

All that said, I won't hold my breath on Chytil exploding with PP time. Zib excels there because he has an above average shot with deadly accuracy. Chytil doesn't.

• Applause 1

LaF did not get to be 1OA on the basis of greasy goals.  There are always going to be a good number of larger nastier players who are going to be better than LaF in that area.  If he ends up as a guy who gets 25-30 goals a year, mostly greasy, while not creating a lot of chances for others or being responsible for territorial advantage for his team, he will still be a bust.

It has been said so many times by so many posters: eye test, eye test, eye test.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

OK, now explain to me what any of that means.

Zib is a mediocre 5v5 player. Chytil is better? Zib dines on PP. Chytil doesn't get much PP time. I think I agree with all of this, but you hit me with an avalanche of blue bar good red bar bad, so I have no god damned idea if that's what those charts say.

All that said, I won't hold my breath on Chytil exploding with PP time. Zib excels there because he has an above average shot with deadly accuracy. Chytil doesn't.

Chytil was basically a Zibanejad clone at 5v5 this year. Zibanejad is a mediocre 5v5 player...compared to other 1Cs now. Important clarifier. Chytil sniffing that at 23 y.o. is impressive and promising.

GAR is Evolving Hockey's model at producing a WAR for hockey. The charts show a player's GAR rating across different strengths. It's the best attempt I know of for attempting to quantify overall value or performance. There's significant math behind it. If interested in some nerdy reading, check out the part1,2,3 links on this page: https://evolving-hockey.com/glossary/goals-above-replacement/

It's not an end-all be-all, of course. Just another indicator to leverage in combination with other stats for constructing a more complete picture.

Re: the Evolving Wild link:

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jp

Also, I'm with you up to the moment you say Chytil just needs PP time to be Zibanejad, because that's gonna be a bridge too far for me. Chytil lacks the dynamic element that Zibanejad has, which is why Zib can dine out the way he does. His PP xGAR is blue as fuck. I don't think any volume of PP time given to Chytil is going to magically make him the threat Zibanejad is.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Re: the Evolving Wild link:

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jp

Also, I'm with you up to the moment you say Chytil just needs PP time to be Zibanejad, because that's gonna be a bridge too far for me. Chytil lacks the dynamic element that Zibanejad has, which is why Zib can dine out the way he does. His PP xGAR is blue as fuck. I don't think any volume of PP time given to Chytil is going to magically make him the threat Zibanejad is.

Lmao it’s so true. It’s very long.

I wouldn’t say that about Chytil just needing PP time to be Zibanejad. Not even close. Zibanejad is in the top tier of PP goal scorers. But nobody thought it Zibanejad would be Zibanejad on the PP at 23 y.o. Regardless, the odds are totally stacked against Chytil to ever be that good on the PP. It’s a black box right now. Never legitimately seen it. The odds are much better for him to be a mid-tier 1C or better at 5v5 in his prime though.

29 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Fil the thrill has shown flashes of brilliance. Nothing sustained. If he can sustain, he very well could match Zib. Only time will tell. PP time is definitely important to develop his game.

I’m not saying Chytil will ever be as good as Zib but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he got there. I’ll say this he’s the best center prospect this team has developed since what… Mike york? He’s still young enough to get elite.