• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Gauging Interest in Barclay Goodrow

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/new-york-rangers-are-gauging-interest-in-barclay-goodrow

The New York Rangers are gauging their interest in two-time Stanley Cup champion and gritty checking line forward Barclay Goodrow.

According to Daily Faceoff president and senior insider Frank Seravalli, the Drury regime is gauging interest in Goodrow and could be willing to move him in order to create some cap flexibility. The Rangers signed Goodrow to a six-year, $21 million contract following his run with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Tyler Yarmechuk: One new name on your trade targets board out East is Barclay Goodrow. A 3.6 million cap hit for, I think, five more seasons. What’s the deal with Goodrow and the Rangers? 

Frank Seravalli: You kind of touched on it. Part of is the term, part of it is the Rangers are looking for some salary cap flexibility, and I think the headline to put on this is that the Rangers are gauging the market on Goodrow. Now I stepped into some hot water with some speculation on Monday about the idea of the TJ Brodie buyout with the Toronto Maple Leafs, now that’s not happening, but the point was to look at the numbers for Brodie on the buyout and how interesting and intriguing that is.

Now do the same for Barclay Goodrow, I don’t think they’re buying him out, but if you look at his contract, he has a unique cap credit, so not only would they be removing the full $3.46 million cap hit, but they’d also be getting an additional 200k in space on top of that and another 100k beyond that. Again, don’t think he’s a buyout. I think his production has been just okay for the Rangers; it hasn’t really reached the level of that type of pay scale, but nonetheless, the Rangers are looking at all their different options; no guarantees to move, but certainly one name that’s been out there the last few days.

Going to be back to a rudderless, gritless bunch of pansies. Who are they going to sign for less to fill his role? Othmann is a year or so away with his grit and toughness. This is going to get interesting if they ship him out.

Who is in St. Louis or Arizona that we would be getting back?

15 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

With a 15 team no-trade list, Arizona is almost certain to be on on it, and the chances are better than not that St. Louis would be as well.

Among the 17 teams to whom he may be traded, it may be difficult to find a fit, namely a team ready to take that level cap hit for four years for the kind of player he is.  Retaining or taking a significant contract in return would defeat the purpose of the trade, and they may not be so anxious to get rid of him to include sweatener.

Perhaps they will find a fit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

16 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Going to be back to a rudderless, gritless bunch of pansies. Who are they going to sign for less to fill his role? Othmann is a year or so away with his grit and toughness. This is going to get interesting if they ship him out.

Maybe the train of thought is that they could remove Goodrow and another cheap roster player, then add two guys who provide the stuff Goody provides.

For example, would you rather have Goodrow and Gauthier/Carpenter/Leschyshyn sprinkled in your lineup or Fast and Hathaway for the sameish total cost? I think it's the latter and not particularly close.

What makes no sense is...he was never signed to be a fourth liner, is clearly an asset as a third liner, and can even give you something unique in a middle 6 role...and in the above roles the cap hit is fair...so why get rid of him?

5 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

What makes no sense is...he was never signed to be a fourth liner, is clearly an asset as a third liner, and can even give you something unique in a middle 6 role...and in the above roles the cap hit is fair...so why get rid of him?

He's expensive for what he does and not a particularly good fit in the Ranger's top 9.

He probably fits very well on the 4th line with Vesey as a long-term asset but he's getting paid 4 times what Vesey gets paid and that's probably out of line with his contributions.

His cap hit reflects his boxcar stats to a tee. Mid 30s points for mid $3M.

I think the Rangers were expecting a better defensive player, but his underlying stats have never shown that. 

I expect him to stay. Drury has show that given time, he does his due diligence. I think they're trying to figure out if Goodrow or Vesey (or both) will be top 9 because neither are prototypical 4th liners for a coach playing matchups. I can see some version of:

Laf Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Goodrow

Kreider Tro Vesey

Then you need a 4th. @Drew a Penaltywho centered Cullye in HTFD? 

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think the Rangers were expecting a better defensive player, but his underlying stats have never shown that. 

I expect him to stay. Drury has show that given time, he does his due diligence. I think they're trying to figure out if Goodrow or Vesey (or both) will be top 9 because neither are prototypical 4th liners for a coach playing matchups. I can see some version of:

Laf Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Goodrow

Kreider Tro Vesey

I like that outside of the box lineup. Finding chemistry is what is important. I don't care what guys have done but instead what they will do with new opportunities. The whole Vesey is a 4th liner blah blah blah means nothing to me when he looks good playing up the lineup. Who cares what the name is on the jersey if the product on the ice is effective and productive. 

• TroCheckmark 1

I like Goodrow.  I think we need another player at least with his "game".  I'm really looking forward to seeing him under Laviolette.

Goodrow was fabulous I thought under Cooper in TB, and I can see a season similar to that in the making here, especially with a coach that can turn goat piss into gasoline with players like him.

No way I trade him.  His contract looks to be exactly who and what he is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Laf Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Goodrow

Kreider Tro Vesey

Brodzinski mainly.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I like Goodrow.  I think we need another player at least with his "game".  I'm really looking forward to seeing him under Laviolette.

Goodrow was fabulous I thought under Cooper in TB, and I can see a season similar to that in the making here, especially with a coach that can turn goat piss into gasoline with players like him.

No way I trade him.  His contract looks to be exactly who and what he is.

He’s performed well for the Rangers.

He could actually perform better though, and give even better results, were he deployed and utilized better.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I like that outside of the box lineup. Finding chemistry is what is important. I don't care what guys have done but instead what they will do with new opportunities. The whole Vesey is a 4th liner blah blah blah means nothing to me when he looks good playing up the lineup. Who cares what the name is on the jersey if the product on the ice is effective and productive. 

But its Jimmy Vesey and we know what he's going to contribute. It's what he has been contributing for like 4 years now. Around 10 goals and 10 assists, with some good solid, noticeable effort about 60% of the time. I don’t mind him. I just hate that he's the only opinion to slide up the lineup besides Goodrow.  

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?select=F&forward=NYR%3A4256%3AARTEMI%3APANARIN&games=2022-2023%3AR%3A99&period=ALL&situation=EV

Look at the numbers of Panarin-Trocheck-Vesey.  No idea why GG wouldn't stick with it.  Panarin had his best seasons with Fast, Blackwell, and Hunt on the RW.  Numbers with Vesey were good but GG broke them up.  But I've been told coaching doesn't matter and it's all Panarin's fault.

3 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?select=F&forward=NYR%3A4256%3AARTEMI%3APANARIN&games=2022-2023%3AR%3A99&period=ALL&situation=EV

Look at the numbers of Panarin-Trocheck-Vesey.  No idea why GG wouldn't stick with it.  Panarin had his best seasons with Fast, Blackwell, and Hunt on the RW.  Numbers with Vesey were good but GG broke them up.  But I've been told coaching doesn't matter and it's all Panarin's fault.

Well he probably broke them up because they weren't doing what he was asking  them to do... notice how good the numbers look when they don't do what he was telling them to do.

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But its Jimmy Vesey and we know what he's going to contribute. It's what he has been contributing for like 4 years now. Around 10 goals and 10 assists, with some good solid, noticeable effort about 60% of the time. I don’t mind him. I just hate that he's the only opinion to slide up the lineup besides Goodrow.  

Jimm Vesey isn’t the same player he was in his last stint here. If you don’t think he’s any better or has changed his approach then you’re not watching close enough or not watching the right thing.

23 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I posted about that line not too long ago.

Gallant's greatest sin wasn't "not forcing" Panarin with Tarasenko or later Kane, it was that he didn't stick with the Panarin-Trocheck-Vesey line for longer. It was Panarin's best line combination all year by a country mile. Would it have made a difference in the playoffs? Maybe. Maybe not, but it would have had a better chance of succeeding than the forced combinations Gallant had to really choose from post-Kane trade. Kane slotted with Panarin-Trocheck as soon as he was brought in, and that was later changed when it wasn't working. Gallant got fired anyway, but slotting Vesey over Tarasenko or Kane at the top would have been a death sentence. He did what anyone in his position would have done. He played the stars that his GM went and traded for. Then got fired anyway when it didn't work.

On another note, Jimmy Vesey's underlying stats were terrific and he worked with basically any line last year at 5v5:

w/ Mika: 50 GF%, 57 xGF%

w/ Tro: 56 GF%, 62 xGF% 

w/ Chytl: 75 GF%, 52 xGF%

w/ Goodrow: 53 GF%, 50 xGF%

Vesey wound up being Drury's best move as GM, and then he ruined it with one too many trades that removed Vesey's role in the top 9.

It's possible Vesey might not be as effective next year, but he's cheap and I think he's a guy they will slot in the top 9 initially.

• JIMMY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

On another note, Jimmy Vesey's underlying stats were terrific and he worked with basically any line last year at 5v5:

Vesey wound up being Drury's best move as GM, and then he ruined it with one too many trades that removed Vesey's role in the top 9.

It's possible Vesey might not be as effective next year, but he's cheap and I think he's a guy they will slot in the top 9 initially.

Whatever pro scout identified him deserves tons of credit. I’m gonna credit Steve Eminger for no other reason than I feel like it.

Vesey is pretty much everything we expected from Goodrow for 1/4 of the the price.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Panarin/Trocheck's most common 3rd wheel was offwing Laf.  That was well before the TDL.  If GG didn't force that for so long and gave that time to Vesey there's a good chance they don't make the trade for Kane.

18 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Panarin/Trocheck's most common 3rd wheel was offwing Laf.  That was well before the TDL.  If GG didn't force that for so long and gave that time to Vesey there's a good chance they don't make the trade for Kane.

Kreider-Tro-Vesey looked awesome together. Then they were gone. Short stint but I thought it was worth riding for a bit. 

• Applause 1

38 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

So blame GG for doing what everyone thought was worth a good look (elevate Laf on off wing), then blame him for not using journeyman Jimmy Vesey with the 12m guy in the top 6 sooner, and then blame him for Drury trading for Kane. If mental gymnastics were an Olympic event, I'd put money on you for gold.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • LMFAO 1

56 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Whatever pro scout identified him deserves tons of credit. I’m gonna credit Steve Eminger for no other reason than I feel like it.

Vesey is pretty much everything we expected from Goodrow for 1/4 of the the price.

Vesey is part of the reason Goodrow is expendable. He doesn't have the center flex, but then again, Goodrow kind of stinks at center so he doesn't really either.

New coaches, especially experienced ones, usually get a say on bringing a couple of guys in. Usually those are guys who have played for the coach before, or the coach is very familiar with them and their game. My guess right now is Goodrow is out, and Hathaway and Craig Smith are brought in. Hathaway was very good for Laviolette in Washington, and Smith was good for years in Nashville playing for Laviolette. They're also both right wingers. It just doesn't get any more obvious they should be targets.

• TroCheckmark 1

23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

So blame GG for doing what everyone thought was worth a good look (elevate Laf on off wing), then blame him for not using journeyman Jimmy Vesey with the 12m guy in the top 6 sooner, and then blame him for Drury trading for Kane. If mental gymnastics were an Olympic event, I'd put money on you for gold.

lmao, I'm doing mental gymnastics?

Laf was not good there.  Yes, easy pretty easy to blame GG for leaving him there for too long.

GG played Dryden Hunt with Panarin for nearly 300 minutes.  When Vesey worked in that spot there's no blame on GG for not committing to it?

I didn't blame Drury for anything.  I said Drury wouldn't have had to make the trade if GG stuck with a linemate that worked for Panarin/Trocheck.

If they do trade him, my guess is it's to split his money in a couple of free agent signings. Vince mentioned on his latest pod that he expects the Rangers to pick up "one or two" guys to stop gap while guys like Sykora, Berard, etc. develop and are "fully ready."

Mentioned Hathaway and Fast by name, but only Hathaway is maybe affordable.