• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Gauging Interest in Barclay Goodrow

6 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Homie, this is revisionist history at best and lying to yourself at worst. When you can acquire Patrick Kane for that cheap, you do it. Every single GM would have done this - it's not even a question worth asking. Eveni a hurt Kane is still Kane - even a hurt Kane put up 45 points in 54 games on a god-awful team trying to be god-awful. Even a hurt Kane put up 12 in 19 on a team where he was being saved for the playoffs. Hell. you wouldn't know it, but Showtime had 6 points in the playoffs. So one has to ask - when did the well dry that he shit the bed so hard in the playoffs?

Easy. Five points across games 1 and 2. Ruff adjusts. Gallant doesn't. Whole thing goes kaput. Same as Fox. Same as Panarin. Same as pretty much every player on this team not named Chris Kreider. 

This really isn't a hard puzzle to piece together. No matter how much we want to lay this season's failure at the feet of specific players, Gallant utterly fucked this team and was deservedly fired into the sun for it. 

Nails it....

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I kind of hope he doesn't get moved, but if they can move him and bring in two guys similar to him, I guess you have to do it. I wouldn't necessarily be excited to get rid of him though, even though the contract isn't great.

If they can get 2 similar players for the the price of Goodrow you have to make the move, but I think that's a lot easier said than done.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If they can get 2 similar players for the the price of Goodrow you have to make the move, but I think that's a lot easier said than done.

Agree, considering the cost of acquisition. You have to send him out, and then send assets to teams to acquire this type of player x2.

Because you're not going to get two of him in free agency with his cap space. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I kind of hope he doesn't get moved, but if they can move him and bring in two guys similar to him, I guess you have to do it. I wouldn't necessarily be excited to get rid of him though, even though the contract isn't great.

Moving him would be a mistake.

Unless they can do as stated above by several…. Bring in 2 guys that can do what he does for the price of one. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agree, considering the cost of acquisition. You have to send him out, and then send assets to teams to acquire this type of player x2.

Because you're not going to get two of him in free agency with his cap space. 

No, not two of him with that cap space. 

But you can probably get Garnet Hathaway and Nick Bjugstad (or similar) for that space.

9 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

No, not two of him with that cap space. 

But you can probably get Garnet Hathaway and Nick Bjugstad (or similar) for that space.

I don't agree, and not considering the stat lines they just put up. You're probably looking at close to 5 million for the both of them. 

Cullye would have to be given an opportunity on the fourth line, but I think that's going to happen anyway. It's pick your poison Goody over Hathaway in my opinion. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't agree, and not considering the stat lines they just put up. You're probably looking at close to 5 million for the both of them. 

I've got Hathaway at 2m and Bjugstad at 2.3, so yeah, it's a bit more. At that point we're getting into the "just bring back Jesper Fast" range.

You can get a Bellemare, or an Eller, or a Janmark, or target a Jeannot or a Colton or a Comtois in a trade...

I think maybe to avoid the specifics themselves - there are a lot of these swiss-army-knife style bottom 6 forwards out there this offseason such that replacing Goodrow with two of them for equal cap is a reasonable thought.

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

They could trade Goodrow for a draft pick.  Sign Hathaway and sign Wheeler on the cheap to play with Panarin & Chytil. 

I want no part of Wheeler. Shit locker room presence. Just going to block Kakko. 

I think Goodrow is poised to have a great season under Laviolette.  That's a type of player that he can do wonders with.  I'd just leave it alone for the start of the season, bring back Goody, and go with it.

If all else fails, and it doesn't look like Goodrow is going to be the player we need, we can always trade him at the deadline for a better piece.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I want no part of Wheeler. Shit locker room presence. Just going to block Kakko. 

I wouldn't do it either, but it is a possibility.

I don't think the Rangers are going to do much of anything and go with what they have.

Just re-sign Miller, Donut Hole, Halak and maybe Motte.

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I wouldn't do it either, but it is a possibility.

I don't think the Rangers are going to do much of anything and go with what they have.

Just re-sign Miller, Donut Hole, Halak and maybe Motte.

Yeah

Theyll surely listen and examine what’s out there, but in the end, it’s going to be basically the same group. Which is fine

Theres no lack of talent.

• Keeps it 100 1

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cullye would have to be given an opportunity on the fourth line, but I think that's going to happen anyway. It's pick your poison Goody over Hathaway in my opinion. 

Guys like Cuylle and Brodz need an opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I've got Hathaway at 2m and Bjugstad at 2.3, so yeah, it's a bit more. At that point we're getting into the "just bring back Jesper Fast" range.

You can get a Bellemare, or an Eller, or a Janmark, or target a Jeannot or a Colton or a Comtois in a trade...

I think maybe to avoid the specifics themselves - there are a lot of these swiss-army-knife style bottom 6 forwards out there this offseason such that replacing Goodrow with two of them for equal cap is a reasonable thought.

This is probably a tad low on each, but it’s exactly what I’m talking about. 3.6 million isn’t the true number to limit the expenditure to either. Bringing in two guys replaces Goodrow AND what would be a cheapie ($800k-$1M) player. So really you have Goodrow’s 3.6 + that, or around 4.4-4.6 million. Even if your estimates are a tad low, there’s a few hundred K there to play with to make it the same. In this scenario, you’ve picked two guys “like” Goodrow who might just chip in 25 points each instead of 30. I’d rather have that than Goodrow and the next Jake Leschyshyn who Drury thinks is good.

Hathaway + Fast probably costs around 4.8, which is only a couple hundred K more. It would depend on how tight the Lafreniere and Miller bridges are.

Edited by BrooksBurner

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is probably a tad low on each, but it’s exactly what I’m talking about. 3.6 million isn’t the true number to limit the expenditure to either. Bringing in two guys replaces Goodrow AND what would be a cheapie ($800k-$1M) player. So really you have Goodrow’s 3.6 + that, or around 4.4-4.6 million. Even if your estimates are a tad low, there’s a few hundred K there to play with to make it the same. In this scenario, you’ve picked two guys “like” Goodrow who might just chip in 25 points each instead of 30. I’d rather have that than Goodrow and the next Jake Leschyshyn who Drury thinks is good.

Hathaway + Fast probably costs around 4.8, which is only a couple hundred K more. It would depend on how tight the Lafreniere and Miller bridges are.

FWIW, the contract model I have access to lands Hathaway at 4 years, 8m total and Fast at 2 years, 4.65m total. Not gospel, of course, but an idea. Dobber's public data has Hathaway + Fast at under 4m combined - again, an example.

I think if you wanted to get "two Goodrow-ish" players for 4-5m, that's really doable in this market. 

4 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

FWIW, the contract model I have access to lands Hathaway at 4 years, 8m total and Fast at 2 years, 4.65m total. Not gospel, of course, but an idea. Dobber's public data has Hathaway + Fast at under 4m combined - again, an example.

I think if you wanted to get "two Goodrow-ish" players for 4-5m, that's really doable in this market. 

EH has Fast at 2.59, Hathaway at 2.27, and Bjugstad at 2.52. In any case, if you average all of these models out, it absolutely falls within line of 4-5m.

42 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

They can't spend anywhere near 5. That money is going to Miller and Laf, the third member of the 14th line, and a 13th FWD.

It has to be money in money out. $1.5M extra will be a problem.

Edited by Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

They can't spend anywhere near 5. That money is going to Miller and Laf, the third member of the 14th line, and a 13th FWD.

It has to be money in money out. $1.5M extra will be a problem.

I'm thinking this through as "Goodrow + ELC = 4.5M", or "two Goodrow-like players+ assets for trading Goodrow = 4.5m" So, zero sum, but we're probably better off in scenario 2 than scenario 1, imo.

15 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm thinking this through as "Goodrow + ELC = 4.5M", or "two Goodrow-like players+ assets for trading Goodrow = 4.5m" So, zero sum, but we're probably better off in scenario 2 than scenario 1, imo.

But then you still need the ELC, so now it's more like $5.5+, which isn't happenning.