• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Peter Laviolette Is Next Rangers' Head Coach; Signs 3-Year Deal

Phil

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

- Cycling through retreads behind the bench — What you call a retread, the rest of us call "experienced". This is also not a negative. GG was the right coach at that time. He fucked himself.

- Traded Buchnevich for nothing, creating a RW problem he still hasn't solved — The RW problem was created by Kakko and Kravtsov sucking. Did he draft either of them?

- NMCs or heavy trade protection given out like candy — Name a GM who doesn't do this?

- Busted Nemeth signing that cost him a 2nd round pick to get out of; and he replaced Brendan Smith, who was better and cheaper — Fair

- Extended Reaves before he played a game — Fair

- Brought in a broken down Kane at the deadline - proved to be ineffective and too hurt — He took a flier and paid nothing for Kane, who was better than anyone on the roster at RW at the time.

- Botched the Shesterkin contract; stuck either trading him or giving him an anchor contract within only 2 more years — This is just dumb. Shesterkin has an agent who knows how to get max value. This deal doesn't happen in a vaccum.

Good moves

- Vatrano trade

- Tarasenko trade

- Chytil signing

Neutral

- Copp trade (worth it, but unnecessarily expensive)

These are all good moves.

Drury has much more good than bad on his resume and it wasn't even close. His deadline deals alone are fantastic, he doesn't give up too much and gets what the team needs. What he gives up, he recoups (bye Nils!).

He's also only going into his third year. To expect every move to be magic is ridiculous.

Drury went with two unprovens at RW. It doesn't matter if he drafted them or not. What matters is he chose to give them the full load of responsibility. That's on him. He was wrong about Buchnevich.  He was wrong about Blais. He was wrong about the replacements. Three wrongs on one move.

Anaheim gave 5 years and zero trade protection to Ryan Strome. Drury gave 7 years and a 3 yr NMC to Trocheck. Even if Trocheck is a bit better, they are in a similar tier. Who else was going to give Goodrow the kind of contract length and M-NTC he has?

I don't believe Shesterkin or his agent would have turned down a competitive 8 year contract offer that took him to 34 y.o. Drury missed on what his worth was and will pay for it one way or another.

There's more bad listed here than good. He's been a disaster in UFA (Vesey the only good value positive?).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bugg said:

Cautiously optimistic. He has a system. Also has a roster of players who should be embarrassed by their failures, so this time (3rd?4th?) would hope they're more inclined to buy into the system rather than do their own thing. 

You hope they'd buy into whatever system Lavi brings in, but this team's history with the last couple of coaches states otherwise. Being cautiously optimistic is the right way viewing the arrival of Lavi...

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I'm still of the mind that they have great musicians in the orchestra and they just need a maestro and some sheet music. Laviolette gives them that. 

Lavi might be disappointed, that the alleged "great musicians" either cannot read  music sheet, don't want to read it, or they are really not that great. 

48 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Drury went with two unprovens at RW. It doesn't matter if he drafted them or not. What matters is he chose to give them the full load of responsibility. That's on him. He was wrong about Buchnevich.  He was wrong about Blais. He was wrong about the replacements. Three wrongs on one move.

He had to go with 2 unprovens because they couldn't afford Buch. The issue wasn't the trade, it was the return. Was he wrong about Blais? Or was GG? Because Blais was pretty good in STL and at Worlds (he won MVP at a shitty tourney but that's certainly a far cry from 4th liner/scratch/AHLer).

He had to give the draft picks a shot, and you're the guy who wants to trade Panarin and give Lafreniere the ice time, so how's that different?

Anaheim gave 5 years and zero trade protection to Ryan Strome. Drury gave 7 years and a 3 yr NMC to Trocheck. Even if Trocheck is a bit better, they are in a similar tier. Who else was going to give Goodrow the kind of contract length and M-NTC he has?

Trocheck signed before Strome. Maybe Strome took the best deal available to him at that point? Goody has a 15 team list and a fair-value contract for his production. GG was using his as a 4th liner, that doesn't make him a 4th liner. He completely moveable.

I don't believe Shesterkin or his agent would have turned down a competitive 8 year contract offer that took him to 34 y.o. Drury missed on what his worth was and will pay for it one way or another.

Doesn't matter what you believe, it only matters what happened. Shesterkin can maximize his earnings this way, and why should Drury buy UFA years when we all know you don't need to spend big in net to win?

There's more bad listed here than good. He's been a disaster in UFA (Vesey the only good value positive?).

RE: the bolded, that is certainly your opinion but that isn't a fact. The general consensus is that Drury has done well ass a GM. Fair enough on UFA. I also think he's an idiot for moving on from Strome for a player that so clearly isn't an upgrade, but a fairly lateral move.

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

- Botched the Shesterkin contract; stuck either trading him or giving him an anchor contract within only 2 more years

Having the Shesty contract end a year before Bread's was a big error.  He should have insisted that Shesty take an extra year and even upted the number if necessary to make him do it.  Having Shesty's contract end at the same time as Bread's would have made re-signing Shesty, if they want to, much more practical.

Star Wars Baby Yoda GIF by LEGO

Finally a real coach. This is going to work. The guy is able to do good things with any kind of NHL caliber roster.

Washington was plagued with injuries,  had a stale roster and not much quality coming through the pipeline as far as youth. 

He voices his displeasure on and off the ice. He has that fire that some people want. 

He can instill a system that works for any type of roster. He WILL play the youth. He WILL sit/demote in the lines vets for poor effort .

He accepts blame. He's not going to hide behind a smirk and say wise ass stuff like "ask the assistant coaches". 

I'm excited in that I don't think he's ever had this much talent on his defense. 

Let's see who his assistants will be. I'm expecting Knoblauch to be one. 

• Believe 2

16 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

There was much talk on twitter that he doesn’t play the kids

im not so close a follower of other teams to know if that’s true or BS

The Rangers may only have 1-2 kids on the roster in October. 

21 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

There was much talk on twitter that he doesn’t play the kids

im not so close a follower of other teams to know if that’s true or BS

Look at all his rosters except for Washington. They were all built mostly with youth. Rookies and up an coming players get to play under Laviolette. He plays who deserves to play. 

Washington didn't really have much youth to play, besides Fehérváry, McMichael, (whom both played  a lot). Hence why they wound up taking scrap heap players like Milano and Strome to fill in their roster.  It's not like they had top prospects sitting.  

Edited by The Dude

6 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I thought Drury was supposed to be a rising star, visionary GM?

- Cycling through retreads behind the bench

- Traded Buchnevich for nothing, creating a RW problem he still hasn't solved

- NMCs or heavy trade protection given out like candy

- Busted Nemeth signing that cost him a 2nd round pick to get out of; and he replaced Brendan Smith, who was better and cheaper

- Extended Reaves before he played a game

- Brought in a broken down Kane at the deadline - proved to be ineffective and too hurt

- Botched the Shesterkin contract; stuck either trading him or giving him an anchor contract within only 2 more years

Good moves

- Vatrano trade

- Tarasenko trade

- Chytil signing

Neutral

Big bowl of MEH. Confidence is waning and I expect more vanilla moves this offseason.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

- Cycling through retreads behind the bench — What you call a retread, the rest of us call "experienced". This is also not a negative. GG was the right coach at that time. He fucked himself.

- Traded Buchnevich for nothing, creating a RW problem he still hasn't solved — The RW problem was created by Kakko and Kravtsov sucking. Did he draft either of them?

- NMCs or heavy trade protection given out like candy — Name a GM who doesn't do this?

- Busted Nemeth signing that cost him a 2nd round pick to get out of; and he replaced Brendan Smith, who was better and cheaper — Fair

- Extended Reaves before he played a game — Fair

- Brought in a broken down Kane at the deadline - proved to be ineffective and too hurt — He took a flier and paid nothing for Kane, who was better than anyone on the roster at RW at the time.

- Botched the Shesterkin contract; stuck either trading him or giving him an anchor contract within only 2 more years — This is just dumb. Shesterkin has an agent who knows how to get max value. This deal doesn't happen in a vaccum.

Good moves

- Vatrano trade

- Tarasenko trade

- Chytil signing

Neutral

These are all good moves.

Drury has much more good than bad on his resume and it wasn't even close. His deadline deals alone are fantastic, he doesn't give up too much and gets what the team needs. What he gives up, he recoups (bye Nils!).

He's also only going into his third year. To expect every move to be magic is ridiculous.

To me it all comes back to core players like Zib, Kreider, Panarin.  This franchise is going to succeed or fail based on core production in the playoffs, whether we can tighten up the defensive zone, and what version of Shesterkin we get in the playoffs (Vezina, plus, or average playoff goalie).  We’ve got this GM/coach roster for 2+ years.  I’ve lost faith in our core leadership players so I expect Drury and Laviolette to both be gone in 2 or 3 years because you can’t fire a roster.  But hopefully with some roster tinkering and Laviolette’s new leadership I will be proved wrong, the core will be revitalized and we get on track for Cup contention.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

4 minutes ago, fletch said:

I expect Drury and Laviolette to both be gone in 2 or 3 years

The average tenure of an NHL GM is 5 years.

The average tenure of a coach is somewhere around 3.

So that really applies to most people, not really an indictment of their performance. That's just the business. 

• VINNY! 1

7 minutes ago, fletch said:

To me it all comes back to core players like Zib, Kreider, Panarin.  This franchise is going to succeed or fail based on core production in the playoffs, whether we can tighten up the defensive zone, and what version of Shesterkin we get in the playoffs (Vezina, plus, or average playoff goalie).  We’ve got this GM/coach roster for 2+ years.  I’ve lost faith in our core leadership players so I expect Drury and Laviolette to both be gone in 2 or 3 years because you can’t fire a roster.  But hopefully with some roster tinkering and Laviolette’s new leadership I will be proved wrong, the core will be revitalized and we get on track for Cup contention.

Basic idea; Panarin and Zibanjad are very good offensive players in the regular season.But they aren't morphing into Tkacuk brothers. Can Laviolette figure out a way with that constraint to make this a harder team to play against; less perimeter, better breakouts, more to the net, a defensive plan. 

Bluntly, Quinn said a lot of the right things but it never translated to the ice. Gallant only hinted at that in his very last press conference about talent not being enough. Operationally though, same thing; score some goals and defensively hope Igor can bail you out is only going to get this team so far. 

We won't see it. But fair bet Laviolette is gonna let this team know their reputation around the NHL is the Rangers are an easy night because they're babyshit soft. How they react? 

• VINNY! 1

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

The average tenure of an NHL GM is 5 years.

The average tenure of a coach is somewhere around 3.

So that really applies to most people, not really an indictment of their performance. That's just the business. 

Hopefully they are both here longer because the org is clearly on the right track for deep playoff runs and multiple cups.

• Believe 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Since Hynes seemed to be a serious contender for the head coaching job, I wonder if they'd bring him in as an assistant for the defense?

I doubt that. Step back for him, lame duck situation for Lavvy. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Since Hynes seemed to be a serious contender for the head coaching job, I wonder if they'd bring him in as an assistant for the defense?

Id say Hartford.  Because Knoblauch is probably getting an assistant role. 

I have zero Intel on that happening. That's me speculating.