• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tempe Voters Reject Coyotes Entertainment District and Arena; Relocation Next?

Phil

On 12/3/2021 at 4:18 PM, Long live the King said:

Gonna be Utah, Draper specifically.  NHL has already been priming the market with preseason games here.  Fast growing population.  Big tech companies.  600 acres of prime real estate about to open up.  Draper mayor already publicly stating desire for a pro sports team.  Have the infrastructure for an AHL affiliate already in place.  Building another arena will aid in the State's goal of hosting another winter Olympics.  Just makes too much sense.

This looks like it may come to fruition after all!!

3. The NBA held a board of governors meeting Tuesday in New York. That night, according to multiple sources, Bettman had dinner with Ryan Smith, owner of the Utah Jazz. This is one to watch. When Fenway bought the Penguins, Smith was rumored as another potential purchaser. Obviously, that didn’t happen, but I was told to keep his name on my radar, because he’s interested in the NHL — and the NHL is very interested in him.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/32-thoughts-what-we-learned-about-new-nhlpa-executive-director-marty-walsh/

Basically, yes.

On the latest 32 Thoughts pod, Friedman basically said unless there's a last ditch solution with the Suns (who've rejected it in the past), the next step is relocation. It's a matter of time — whether they move now, or next year.

This may happen pretty fast.  I'm sure there are escape clauses in the lease with ASU for next year.  East-West balance cuts against Atlanta, but arena/ownership will be primary factors.  Utah seems cool, but Houston is the better market.

5 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The two most recent expansion franchises play in 17.1k (Seattle) and 17.5k (Vegas) — Vivint, where the Jazz play, seats just 14k for hockey. Houston with 17.8k seats and a larger city/population is far more attractive.

The Delta Center (they renamed it again) would be temporary.  If you've watched any of the preseason games they play there the sight lines suck for hockey as it's been remodeled specifically for basketball.  We recently built a new State prison and are in the process of tearing down the old one in Draper opening up 600 acres of prime real estate.  The Draper mayor wants a pro sports team.  Draper lies right in between Salt Lake and Utah Counites with a population of about 1.8 million and growing in a 30-minute radius.  Ryan Smith wants an NHL team.  The State wants to host another Winter Olympics in 2030 or 2034.  They'll build a new arena just for the hockey team.

23 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The Delta Center (they renamed it again) would be temporary.  If you've watched any of the preseason games they play there the sight lines suck for hockey as it's been remodeled specifically for basketball.  We recently built a new State prison and are in the process of tearing down the old one in Draper opening up 600 acres of prime real estate.  The Draper mayor wants a pro sports team.  Draper lies right in between Salt Lake and Utah Counites with a population of about 1.8 million and growing in a 30-minute radius.  Ryan Smith wants an NHL team.  The State wants to host another Winter Olympics in 2030 or 2034.  They'll build a new arena just for the hockey team.

That might bode well for a potential expansion franchise, but the NHL is in need of a quick solution. Houston metro is 5x the size of Salt Lake City. There's an arena already built that seats nearly 18k. A Texan team might win the Stanley Cup this year. Houston just seems far more appropriate given the circumstances.

• Phil changed the title to Tempe Voters Reject Coyotes Entertainment District and Arena; Relocation Next?
39 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

If they figure out development and mass transit, yeah. Draper is right between Provo and SLC, but it's not exactly a hoppin' town yet. It's definitely aggressively growing, though - and this might be a big boost. I'm 100% deferring to you on all things Utah - you're on the ground - but my read on Delta when I was there a few years ago was that you could put together a heck of a night going to a Jazz game. I'd guess you'd want the same for a Utah Whatevers hockey game.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

At this point, why delay the inevitable?

Attendance is already a problem. Who the hell is gonna come out to support a team that is 100% not gonna have a future there?

Tough to see though. I feel terrible for any diehard yotes fans out there. Its gotta be really hard to see your team pack up and move after being so poorly managed for so long. Gonna miss the hell out of those Kachina jerseys 

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

That might bode well for a potential expansion franchise, but the NHL is in need of a quick solution. Houston metro is 5x the size of Salt Lake City. There's an arena already built that seats nearly 18k. A Texan team might win the Stanley Cup this year. Houston just seems far more appropriate given the circumstances.

Huston's AHL team, with draft picks and future NHLers, only drew about 1,000 more people than Utah's ECHL team does, with a bunch of dudes that will never make it to the show.  Houston metro is definitely bigger, but the audience likely isn't.

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

If they figure out development and mass transit, yeah. Draper is right between Provo and SLC, but it's not exactly a hoppin' town yet. It's definitely aggressively growing, though - and this might be a big boost. I'm 100% deferring to you on all things Utah - you're on the ground - but my read on Delta when I was there a few years ago was that you could put together a heck of a night going to a Jazz game. I'd guess you'd want the same for a Utah Whatevers hockey game.

SLC definitely has the nightlife/other activity advantage, but the site in Draper is a 600 acre blank canvas and if they put an arena there they'd likely be able to add better restaurants, bars, etc as a result.  It could go either way and could depend on if Smith has to make any timeline deals for a new arena with the league in order to close the deal.  Utah loves these master planned walkable communities.  There is one in South Jordan where the Angels AAA team is relocating from downtown SLC.  On the other hand, the Miller family (former owner of the Jazz) is courting an MLB team with the intention of building a stadium in SLC. 

Draper is also extremely close to all the big tech company headquarters...

Edited by Long live the King

10 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

SLC definitely has the nightlife/other activity advantage, but the site in Draper is a 600 acre blank canvas and if they put an arena there they'd likely be able to add better restaurants, bars, etc as a result.  It could go either way and could depend on if Smith has to make any timeline deals for a new arena with the league in order to close the deal.  Utah loves these master planned walkable communities.  There is one in South Jordan where the Angels AAA team is relocating from downtown SLC.  On the other hand, the Miller family (former owner of the Jazz) is courting an MLB team with the intention of building a stadium in SLC. 

Draper is also extremely close to all the big tech company headquarters...

Utah has something like 7 of the top 10 CX Tech company HQ in the world. They're all in that SLC-->Provo-->Orem run. The sponsorship opportunity is massive. You can totally see Smith being part of the ownership group, getting the arena, buying the sponsorship rights - total community guy. And he runs the most prolific customer experience company in the world - you KNOW that in-game experience is going to be fucking bonkers awesome.

Gonna be great to see the SLC whatevers at the Qualtrics Arena