• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tempe Voters Reject Coyotes Entertainment District and Arena; Relocation Next?

Phil

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

triangle folding GIF

Stop, this is never going to happen. The NHL isn't going to justify a bad financial situation by literally firing dozens and dozens of people and voiding the guaranteed contracts of dozens more players and signed prospects.

Relocation is screaming here.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Stop, this is never going to happen. The NHL isn't going to justify a bad financial situation by literally firing dozens and dozens of people and voiding the guaranteed contracts of dozens more players and signed prospects.

Relocation is screaming here.

Uhhhhh, they NHL has no issue furloughing people when they have a lockout, so they can spare us all "But the jobs!"

No one keeps an NHL franchise around that is perpetually losing money, HRR, effecting the cap, because the mail room guy  in cubicle 4C needs his benefits!

As for the players, dispersal draft.

Edited by Pete

Given a decent team and an arena in a decent location, this is a good market, which is one reason why Bettman has resisted a move.  Hockey is quite popular, which why ASU has a team and why the Phoenix produced a guy named Austin Matthews (yes, I know he had to move as a teen for better competition).  

If every Minnesota transplant in Phoenix went to one game a year, they'd be sold out for the season.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Uhhhhh, they NHL has no issue furloughing people when they have a lockout, so they can spare us all "But the jobs!"

No one keeps an NHL franchise around that is perpetually losing money, HRR, effecting the cap, because the mail room guy  in cubicle 4C needs his benefits!

As for the players, dispersal draft.

Correct -- they relocate them.

59 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Given a decent team and an arena in a decent location, this is a good market, which is one reason why Bettman has resisted a move.  Hockey is quite popular, which why ASU has a team and why the Phoenix produced a guy named Austin Matthews (yes, I know he had to move as a teen for better competition).  

If every Minnesota transplant in Phoenix went to one game a year, they'd be sold out for the season.

Yes, but this is proving to be a major, major hurdle. You can't cling to this idea without an arena, and they don't have one, or even the hope of one.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Yes, but this is proving to be a major, major hurdle. You can't cling to this idea without an arena, and they don't have one, or even the hope of one.

I agree that there needs to be a deadline for a definite, not theoretical, new arena and an acceptable plan for the interim.  This is probably as good of a market as Dallas and Colorado, if handled properly.  I know, big "if."

54 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I agree that there needs to be a deadline for a definite, not theoretical, new arena and an acceptable plan for the interim.  This is probably as good of a market as Dallas and Colorado, if handled properly.  I know, big "if."

No doubt. They were right to move there. The problem has been and continues to be the lack of a stable arena. People forget how often the Coyotes sold out when they were in downtown Phoenix. They were also good then.

The old adage of if you build it they will come is doubly true here.

I understand one great player coming from Arizona might suggest it's a good market. I don't agree, but sure, for the sake of discussion... Once you layer in "But not in Glendale"... It's over. There's nowhere else to go. Phoenix was the one and done, no longer an option.

They've gotta go, or they gotta fold. 

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

I understand one great player coming from Arizona might suggest it's a good market. I don't agree, but sure, for the sake of discussion... Once you layer in "But not in Glendale"... It's over. There's nowhere else to go. Phoenix was the one and done, no longer an option.

They've gotta go, or they gotta fold. 

Well, they want Tempe, but again, there is no arena. There's no plans for an arena. This is all hail mary strategy. It's time to relocate the team.

Just now, Phil said:

Well, they want Tempe, but again, there is no arena. There's no plans for an arena. This is all hail mary strategy. It's time to relocate the team.

That's exactly what I just said lol. Who cares about Tempe? There is no other viable option in Arizona besides Phoenix, and Phoenix is not an option.

can Phoenix not be an option. I believe its been addressed that the Suns arena, specifically designed for basketball, isnt the best option. But like, its gotta be lightyears ahead of any other option.

In the interest of avoiding the embarassment of a top league in the country playing top level pro games to minor league audiences, like literally give all the chips to the Phoenix suns to charge whatever they want to make it happen. 

Wanna play a fun college night game at ASU for publicity? student only game and make it a double header with the ASU team, get a raucus crowd and have a fun day of it? That would be fun. 

Playing 41 games there and probably still not selling out? flat out disgusting.

I've never been to the Glendale arena but I was there for a Giants Cardinals game.  I know the arena had similar sightline issues like Barclays did for the Islanders.  However, that whole area surrounding the arena and football stadium is so nice.  Lots of bars and shops and restaurants.  That has to be better than spending time in a college arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently this is ok by the league as Bettman is lauding it.  My simply question is, "Who in Arizona has the compromising photos of Bettman and why can't he just claim they were doctored?"

How is it that the league had to be prodded kicking and screaming into one or two years for the Islanders at the 13,000 seat Coliseum but an indefinite stay at a 5,000 arena is ok for the yotes?

How is this team supposed to make the cap floor.  Is the league going to make up for the giant losses?

I wouldn't mind seeing an NHL game in a 5,000 seat arena.

Obviously, the Canadiens will be moved from Montreal before Arizona is moved anywhere.

10 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Apparently this is ok by the league as Bettman is lauding it.  My simply question is, "Who in Arizona has the compromising photos of Bettman and why can't he just claim they were doctored?"

How is it that the league had to be prodded kicking and screaming into one or two years for the Islanders at the 13,000 seat Coliseum but an indefinite stay at a 5,000 arena is ok for the yotes?

How is this team supposed to make the cap floor.  Is the league going to make up for the giant losses?

I wouldn't mind seeing an NHL game in a 5,000 seat arena.

Obviously, the Canadiens will be moved from Montreal before Arizona is moved anywhere.

What NHL free agent is going to want to sign with Arizona for the next 3 seasons?