• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tempe Voters Reject Coyotes Entertainment District and Arena; Relocation Next?

Phil

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Really hope they can make it work but being in Glendale is stupid. 

I feel like I recall them having good attendance when they were actually in Phoenix? Might be making that up

Nah, they did, especially early on. Problem was that arena was designed for basketball, just like Barclays, so you had an entire section of the upper bowl hanging over, obstructing like a third of the ice. Was untenable.

someone definitely got shitcanned for this one. What an embarassment.

I really have hoped that, with the various Arizona colleges getting D1 hockey programs, that hockey was going to start to be more of a thing in the desert. Just gotta get some kind of competent team management in there to build a team worth watching. 

46 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

someone definitely got shitcanned for this one. What an embarassment.

I really have hoped that, with the various Arizona colleges getting D1 hockey programs, that hockey was going to start to be more of a thing in the desert. Just gotta get some kind of competent team management in there to build a team worth watching. 

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but I have dollars to donuts that Bettman told them to stop fucking around. 

Phoenix averaged over 16K per game in the early years in the terrible arena in Phoenix, demonstrating that the problem here is not the overall market but the location of the arena and the quality of the team.

If they can get an arena in a proper location, they should not be moved, but give the powers that be no more than a year or two to set that in motion.

• 1 month later...

Seems like they are so stubborn they won;t just admit they've failed.

100% could have worked to have a team in AZ. It WAS working. But this is a stupid league run by stupid people.

I worry they're too far gone at this point. There's no option that would even be feasible at this point is there?

Can they go back to the Suns Arena in Phoenix? It hasn't had hockey there for a while (most recently had an ECHL team there over 10 years ago)

Even if its not the best for hockey, if you can make it a temporary home for a few years, it will probably still be WAY better than their current situation

1 hour ago, Phil said:

--

The link is broken, at the moment, presumably because the story crashed the site, but this is insanity. This specific arena reportedly seats just 5,000.

I’m all for this as long as the yotes switch to playing in college rather than the nhl too

• LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

5000? so they'll get to almost 100% capacity

This is getting embarrassing. WHy they ever left Phoenix to begin with is beyond me. 

No top professional league should have games played on college rinks. Maybe it'd be fun to do one night as a special event or something, but for 3-4 years?

Don't be so sure of that. Even a 5,000 seat capacity is on the high side for that team. 🤣

This is fucking embarrassing for the league though. I don't know how they continue to support this failed franchise meanwhile you have ripe markets like Quebec City that would be a packed house every night. Bettman and co. need to fucking give up on this failed Arizona experiment and move the team out of there already. 

9 minutes ago, Karan said:

Don't be so sure of that. Even a 5,000 seat capacity is on the high side for that team. 🤣

This is fucking embarrassing for the league though. I don't know how they continue to support this failed franchise meanwhile you have ripe markets like Quebec City that would be a packed house every night. Bettman and co. need to fucking give up on this failed Arizona experiment and move the team out of there already. 

Because you can't put the toothpaste back into the tube once it's out. Quebec City is a complete non-starter for corporate sponsporship and has heavy taxes. The league isn't going to want to uproot a struggling franchise to put them into a market they don't want to actually be in. They'll wait out the markets they want to be in. Be it Houston or otherwise.