• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tempe Voters Reject Coyotes Entertainment District and Arena; Relocation Next?

Phil

I don't know why I thought Gila River was the arena that had that awful overhang at one end of the ice and that is the arena that they left.  I was in fact wrong, Gila River does not have the sightline issues, and it is their current home.  I made myself sound like an asshole suggesting they go back there at least 3 times and no one corrected me.  Fuck you all 🤣

edit 2 - It was America West Arena which had the overhang...now called Footprint Center.

Edited by SaveByRichter35

1 minute ago, Sod16 said:

Well they might not like the sight lines at America West Arena, but at ASU, they have 12,000 seats from which you can't see anything at all...

That's why they need to reno the place so it's hockey conducive.  Like they did with the Key now Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle.

I think like the first few games are gonna be a fun atmosphere there. Probably a bunch of students, getting a bit rowdy. Everyone close to the action. Might be a fun place to watch.

Then you're gonna reach the dog days of the season. Mid December tuesday night game with the yotes already playing meaningless hockey. And then its gonna look sad.

Like I said earlier. Having a few games a season there would be a fun, outside the box creative kind of way to get young people to the games, generate a bigger fanbase, etc.

This is gonna get ugly

I think it's a good market, but so was Atlanta, and the league wasn't early so resistant to them moving.  It's been proven again and again that a team that not only loses but has not history to fall back on will not do well in just about any market.   Look at Buffalo.  Fantastic fans, but even they run out of patience.  Arizona has been just as bad.  

• Applause 1

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I think it's a good market, but so was Atlanta, and the league wasn't early so resistant to them moving.  It's been proven again and again that a team that not only loses but has not history to fall back on will not do well in just about any market.   Look at Buffalo.  Fantastic fans, but even they run out of patience.  Arizona has been just as bad.  

Yup. Buffalo is a case study in the disparity between having a passionate hockey fan base and a dejected product. Same with Arizona. People forget that they routinely sold out when they first moved there and were playing out of downtown Phoenix with Roenick, Tkachuk, Tocchet, and Doan. Because the team was good.

• Like 1

Colorado Rockies.  5,000 a game.  Colorado Avalanche.  Immediiate sellout.

If you are original 6 or other long term successful franchises like Philly and some others, you can go five years without making the playoffs.  Not so in a place where your fans don't even have a memory of what it was like being a winner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Even if the arena is finished earlier and the team is able to play there before the annex is completed, the Coyotes will likely begin the season on the road — a move that is not without precedent. The New York Islanders started the 2021-22 season with 13 straight road games as their new arena was being completed.

Once the Coyotes arrive home in the desert, they’ll face some logistical and scheduling challenges.

The Ice Den in Scottsdale, which is slated to replace the Gila River Arena as the team’s full-time practice facility, is a standard community rink with three ice surfaces and little by way of NHL-caliber bells and whistles. As of now, the Coyotes are trying to renovate office space nearby that can be converted into amenities for players to work out, shower, change and seek medical therapy. Trailers have been discussed as a temporary solution. For shuttling to and from the Ice Den rink, which is separated by about a 100- to 150-yard walk, one option being explored is a rubberized mat that allows players to cross the parking lot in full gear and skate guards. Golf carts could also be used.

Said one Coyotes player: “Every other team in the league will be laughing when they visit us.”

According to a league source, the average NHL team makes $2.3 million in fan-driven revenue (tickets, parking, food and beverage, merchandise sales) per game. The Coyotes, in Glendale, make less than $900,000, a number they’ll likely struggle to reach at ASU.

This is long and damning. Well worth your time to read:

https://theathletic.com/3187030/2022/03/16/every-other-team-in-the-league-will-be-laughing-imagining-the-coyotes-future-in-arizona/?source=emp_shared_article

15 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't get how the owners, or players, stand for this from an HRR perspective. They are all losing money propping up the worst run franchise in sports.

What can existing players do about it? Void their contracts and walk away? Most players aren't outspoken on a lot of issues. I can imagine that most players not on the team will voice their opinion by not signing them or having them on their NTC lists.

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

What can existing players do about it? Void their contracts and walk away? Most players aren't outspoken on a lot of issues. I can imagine that most players not on the team will voice their opinion by not signing them or having them on their NTC lists.

Pressure the PA to take a more forceful, public stand, which they are. Read the latest from Strang and Custance in the Atheltic. The Schneider-lead PA were not fucking around asking questions about quality of life, etc. and long-term plans with Arizona's ownership.

It's not the job of individual players to say anything, because they can't risk ripping an active NHL team they may end up on at some point, but they can voice their concerns to PA leadership, which they have, and PA leadership can act on their behalf, which it is.

Just now, Phil said:

Pressure the PA to take a more forceful, public stand, which they are. Read the latest from Strang and Custance in the Atheltic. The Schneider-lead PA were not fucking around asking questions about quality of life, etc. and long-term plans with Arizona's ownership.

Yeah as soon as I posted that I realized the PA is the voice for that. Which is good for the existing players.

I mean, this is pathetic. No NHL free agent should sign for them. All of their UFAs should leave. I feel bad for the young guys with long-term contracts that are actually pretty talented. Wasting away in a mismanaged franchise because Gary can't have another blemish on his report card.

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Has anyone heard a reason why they cannot go back to the downtown somewhat ill configured arena while a new arena is being built?  They drew well in that arena, whether or not it had Barclays-type issues.

Suns owner doesn't want them there.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2017/07/19/phoenix-suns-robert-sarver-arena-arizona-coyotes/493056001/

Thanks for digging up the article.  Five years later, I wonder what has transpired on this front.  If the NHL told the politicians there that keeping the team was dependent on the yotes playing temporarily in the Suns' arena, I wonder if they could bring sufficient pressure on the Suns' ownership.  From what I could see in the article, the Suns are primarily opposed to sharing a new arena permanently with the yotes.   Anyway, that obviously hasn't happened, because the league would never have gone for this ridiculous ASU option if the Suns would relent on the downtown arena.