• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tempe Voters Reject Coyotes Entertainment District and Arena; Relocation Next?

Phil

2 hours ago, Phil said:

That's the goal, I think, to make it like a college game day experience, short of standing room only.

The kicker is it's the Coyotes. It's not like they've got Auston Mattews to promise here. They're asking fans to pay increased ticket prices for a non-luxury experience to watch Clayton Keller and a cast of Replacements. They could up and make everyone look stupid by just being unpredictably competitive, but it's hard to see the logic in this from a business strategy given what they're putting on the ice.

Easy there homie....they have Patrik Nemeth now!!!  LOL

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, siddious said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkzoIEtrSNj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

checked Twitter and I don’t see the video associated with this insta post- but that arena looks sick 

...and guess what?? They still won't draw. Just more cash in the trash. Can't wait for the next lockout because of teams like this. 

Edited by Costa

3 minutes ago, Costa said:

...and guess what?? They still won't draw. Just more cash in the trash. Can't wait for the next lockout because of teams like this. 

Yes they will. Put a competitive team on the ice. And stop with the nonsense.  It’s no different than Texas or Florida. 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:17 PM, siddious said:

Yes they will. Put a competitive team on the ice. And stop with the nonsense.  It’s no different than Texas or Florida. 

I was lazy and wikipedia was the easiest source, so needs checking.  Tampa Bay and Dallas are 2 of the strongest markets.  Put a consistent winner on the market, as you say, and it sure helps draw fans.  Bad teams have bad attendance. The exception is the Panthers - whether it's a bad arena location or an apathetic fan base, you'd expect their fan numbers to be better with how good and how entertaining their team is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_attendance_figures

For whatever reason, FLA is the worst market in the league, but they'll never move it.  I'm glad they have stuck with AZ through it all.  Aside from the original 6 and Philly, there may not be any franchise that would have done well at the gate with the team they have had for 10 years.

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

That arena concept looks great. I'm glad they're staying in Arizona so they can keep the Kachina look and everything associated with that.

That look and the unis with traditional striping are both good.  At least they've always looked good.

1 minute ago, Sod16 said:

That look and the unis with traditional striping are both good.  At least they've always looked good.

Agreed. I just always preferred the Kachina look. I like the style of the logos and the color scheme, and it just looks and feels more southwest. Yes, the other ones still looked quite good and had nice colors as well. I don't think you can really go wrong with either look.

• 2 weeks later...

True to their name, those sneaky Coyotes are casting public subsidies as private financing for their proposed new arena.  It would be paid for with bonds issued by a public entity, and the interest would be paid for by sales taxes generated by the site, with an additional tax break to the Coyotes on the property.  Of course, without the arena, residents would be spending their entertainment dollars elsewhere in the area, and the sales taxes would be going to the city, not to pay off these bonds.  Absent the arena, the parcel would be generating property taxes for the city.  

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2022/11/28/19409/fine-print-shows-coyotes-privately-funded-arena-could-cost-taxpayers-over-500m/

• 5 months later...

The sooner the better. The ASU thing was absurd from the start. But at least with it came hope for a new start in Tempe. If that’s off the table, get the wheels moving now and put this franchise in a deserving market as soon as possible. It’s over.

Edited by RichieNextel305