• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tempe Voters Reject Coyotes Entertainment District and Arena; Relocation Next?

Phil

It is, but I've accepted the fact that they're simply unwilling to abandon the market, so in light of that, this is actually good news (relatively speaking). The biggest issue the Coyotes have been facing, outside of a lack of dollars coming in, is arena instability. A 30-year commitment preventing them from moving is a half measure, because it does nothing to ensure they'll actually come close to making money, but it does provide assurance to fans that they can and should invest in the product because it's not going to be taken from them any time soon.

It's a start.

• VINNY! 1

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

It is, but I've accepted the fact that they're simply unwilling to abandon the market, so in light of that, this is actually good news (relatively speaking). The biggest issue the Coyotes have been facing, outside of a lack of dollars coming in, is arena instability. A 30-year commitment preventing them from moving is a half measure, because it does nothing to ensure they'll actually come close to making money, but it does provide assurance to fans that they can and should invest in the product because it's not going to be taken from them any time soon.

It's a start.

So they may have a 30 year contract to make them stay.....Lets say they continue to suck after year 5 (first few years of the new arena they'll be a hot ticket probably b/c of the new arena), what would happen if they're just bleeding money, they have to stay and continue to bleed for 25 more years?  

43 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

So they may have a 30 year contract to make them stay.....Lets say they continue to suck after year 5 (first few years of the new arena they'll be a hot ticket probably b/c of the new arena), what would happen if they're just bleeding money, they have to stay and continue to bleed for 25 more years?  

Not sure. I'd imagine there will be out clauses built in, or something around performance, but the overarching idea is to signal to the Tempe area and fans that the team is here to stay.

You're a STH. I know this'll be hard to imagine, but put yourself even in an Isles-like pair of shoes — clown shoes, if you will. Are you forking over thousands every season not knowing where your team will even play? If they'll be splitting random games between what used to be their arena, which is effectively scheduled for destruction soon, another arena 30 miles away, or like, a local practice facility? I sure wouldn't. I'd be telling them to get your arena sorted. Then call me.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:08 AM, Blue Heaven said:

It used to be that you could break an arena lease and pay damages, which might be better financially if you are moving.  However, now there will be a specific performance clause and they would get an injunction slapped on them if they tried to move.  Only out would be bankruptcy.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, siddious said:

I don’t know if Tempe is a good spot for them as I don’t know anything about that area, population, accessibility, etc… but I hope it works for them. 

It's a good spot, close to ASU but also has quite a bit going on in that area.Pretty busy city,downtown Tempe is real nice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I still don't understand what was wrong with Gila River.  That is a sick spot.  Bars, restaurants, and shops all over that complex.

Good point. I understand that it is removed from the real money in that metro, but still.  In the Twin Cities, DT St. Paul is removed from the Western suburbs of Minneapolis, where the money is, but it hasn't hurt the Wild for a minute.

If the yotes had made the playoffs the last four years like Carolina, they'd be drawing fine where they are (or at least have been).

• 1 month later...

While I still standby that this is pretty embarrassing for the league to have a top pro franchise playing in a college rink this small, I hope it's actually a pretty sick atmosphere. Maybe a lot of young people going, being loud, treating it like their own college team.

who knows, maybe even in a few years, when plenty of ASU students graduate and stay in the area, they'll continue being fans and support the franchise. Trying to be optimistic about it the whole thing lol

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

It actually should be an incredible atmosphere ... if they can actually sell tickets to anyone to see that team on ice. Great idea on paper, in some ways, but in practice, remains to be seen.

That's a pretty big IF given what they plan to be charging for tickets. For that market, they need to be a lot cheaper if they even want to fill that small arena. 

2 minutes ago, Karan said:

That's a pretty big IF given what they plan to be charging for tickets. For that market, they need to be a lot cheaper if they even want to fill that small arena. 

Yup. Should have said as much myself. The fact that it's so small is apparently coming at an increased price per ticket for all levels. I wouldn't pay those prices to see the Rangers at the Garden, let alone the shitty Coyotes at ASU.

14 minutes ago, Karan said:

totally forgot about that. yeah that will be insane. but probably necessary to make even some revenue to keep this franchise afloat.

Still, maybe some student rate tickets will be made available one theyve know what they've sold

I'll say going to corporatized NHL games isn't fun. 

I have more fun at my local Junior C games, standing with a Bud Light.

If they pack it, this will be a massive hit, much like the CFL became fun again when they went to 20k stafiums, instead of 60k. 

22 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I'll say going to corporatized NHL games isn't fun. 

I have more fun at my local Junior C games, standing with a Bud Light.

If they pack it, this will be a massive hit, much like the CFL became fun again when they went to 20k stafiums, instead of 60k. 

That's the goal, I think, to make it like a college game day experience, short of standing room only.

The kicker is it's the Coyotes. It's not like they've got Auston Mattews to promise here. They're asking fans to pay increased ticket prices for a non-luxury experience to watch Clayton Keller and a cast of Replacements. They could up and make everyone look stupid by just being unpredictably competitive, but it's hard to see the logic in this from a business strategy given what they're putting on the ice.