• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Especially after already paying for him as a rental. A first, a 4th, an AHL d man, Goodrow and Miller or Lafrenière for 2 years of Tarasenko?  It's a bit much. 

I'm only interested if he signed a Wheeler like deal.  Him and Kane fucking owe US. Nevermind that they need to accept that they'd be middle 6 players if they come here. 

Lol!

For what do they owe, exactly? 

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Lol!

For what do they owe, exactly? 

Well, for starters, I got dragged up to Boston hungover as all holy hell for a Ranger game back in like 2009. Didn’t want to go, yet was given a free ticket and asked to drive. So I went. Miserable. And we lost 1-0 on an early goal by, you guessed it, Blake Wheeler. Blew a slapper right by Hanky. Turned right around and drove home the same day. Never felt more hungover in my life and no idea why I ever took the ticket. But yeah, he owes me specifically for that. You are on notice, Blake. Understood?

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

For what it’s worth, it’s not a long walk for Kane to be a Ranger this year, depending.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I do expect Kane to be here at some point again. I like this team as is, and I could be wrong. But I think a healthy Kane, in a walk year, could be a huge home run for us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I do expect Kane to be here at some point again. I like this team as is, and I could be wrong. But I think a healthy Kane, in a walk year, could be a huge home run for us.

Wherever he lands, I think he comes back duly healthy, and accounting for the inevitable adjustment period, he does very well. 

• Keeps it 100 1

https://theathletic.com/4673772/2023/07/08/nhl-free-agency-2023-team-needs-roster-holes/

New York Rangers

Nothing, really: Maybe this team needs a touch more skill on the right side. But the Rangers can’t afford Vladimir Tarasenko without some roster surgery, and that would be yet another over-30 forward in the mix — they have only three under-30 forwards ticketed for the roster this season. It’s more now about getting what they can out of the current group with a new coaching staff. — Arthur Staple

I don't necessarily disagree, though eeking out that production from Kakko and Laf is questionable at best.

• ALEXIS! 1

Mike Rupp was recently on the Blue Crew podcast and basically said it's sink or swim time with them. Said they were basically both luck and unlucky to get drafted to a team as deep as the Rangers because it put them into a position where they weren't as relied on out of the gate, but that has also kinda hindered their development.

Some league wide 5v5 rankings this year that I found interesting, as it pertains to Lafreniere, Kakko, and Chytil:

5v5 TOI | Points (amongst all F)

49th | 104th - Kakko

70th | 130th - Lafreniere

161st | 78th - Chytil

For interpretation:

First ranking higher than second? Player underperformed usage

First ranking lower than second? Player outperformed usage

1st-96th ~= 1st line ranking

97th-192nd ~= 2nd line ranking

193rd-288th ~= 3rd line ranking

Top 9 * 32 teams = 288 "top 9" players in the league, divide into thirds to get a very rough approximation of rank ranges by line number. This is really dirty since it doesn't take into account injuries and some other stuff, but it's a decent "napkin math" gauge.

Kakko and Lafreniere gave 2nd line 5v5 production, but needed 1st line 5v5 minutes to do it. They gave production below their usage. Chytil got low end 2nd line 5v5 TOI and produced low end 1st line 5v5 numbers. He gave production well above his usage. We need the first two to be more like Chytil, and we need Chytil to continue outperforming usage, or at least performing on par with it.

57 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Some league wide 5v5 rankings this year that I found interesting, as it pertains to Lafreniere, Kakko, and Chytil:

49th | 104th - Kakko

161st | 78th - Chytil

For interpretation:

Top 9 * 32 teams = 288 "top 9" players in the league, divide into thirds to get a very rough approximation of rank ranges by line number. This is really dirty since it doesn't take into account injuries and some other stuff, but it's a decent "napkin math" gauge.

Kakko and Lafreniere gave 2nd line 5v5 production, but needed 1st line 5v5 minutes to do it. They gave production below their usage. Chytil got low end 2nd line 5v5 TOI and produced low end 1st line 5v5 numbers. He gave production well above his usage. We need the first two to be more like Chytil, and we need Chytil to continue outperforming usage, or at least performing on par with it.

Does your boss know you spend this much time completely fabricating metrics to pump Chytils tires? Or, are you actually his agent and this is actually your job? 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

49th | 104th - Kakko

161st | 78th - Chytil

For interpretation:

GIF by Giphy QA

can't even pretend to understand what all that means, but shit, solid work ethic and dedication getting there.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Does your boss know you spend this much time completely fabricating metrics to pump Chytils tires? Or, are you actually his agent and this is actually your job? 

That post took me 5 minutes, and Phil Venmos me cash just to annoy you to keep things spicy on the board during the offseason.

• LMFAO 1
  • VINNY! 1

Still a lot of days until the start of regular season, but I am still underwhelmed by the Rangers. We've changed some names (which looks good, that the front office is trying) without altering the core composition of a flawed team that got bounced in the first round of the playoffs.  We still have an oversupply of puck distributors, and lack players with a shoot first mentality.  Rangers still are a perimeter team.  We lack skilled players who enjoy physical contact, outbattling someone in front of the net, and scoring or negating scoring chances (depending on which end of the ice).  Kreider deflects pucks in front of the net, and Trouba will take out someone with their head down, but that is different from the kind of physical play I am talking about.  The Rangers seem to hope that Gallant's coaching regime was the problem, and that Laviolette can institute a new system that can rejuvenate the core veterans that underperformed in the Devils series and ultimately folded.  Or maybe the front office is hampered by the no-move clauses and the salary cap, and can only make cosmetic rather than substantial changes.  In the end, I still see an early playoff exit as this team's ceiling, with only a slim chance of a deep run with puck luck and some fortunate breaks.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sorry.

I feel great about this season. Can't wait for it to start. They're going to look like a real team and not guys who met the morning of the game. Gonna be fun. 

I was debating starting a “are they better this season than last” thread but sonk any holes got filled this off season I don’t know how you can even debate it. 

I am expecting a much more complete team after the first 15 games or so.

• Believe 1

At worst they are still the 3rd best team in the division and with an actual coach and system they should improve on being the 4th least amount of goals scored.  With any improvement from Donut Hole, Krappo and Shityl they should score more.  And they had role players with experience.  Not sure how we shouldn’t be optimistic about the season.   That being said they are the Rangers and usually find a way to disappoint us.  Now drop the damn puck already.  The off season has been too long already.  

• Believe 1

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

At worst they are still the 3rd best team in the division and with an actual coach and system they should improve on being the 4th least amount of goals scored.  With any improvement from Donut Hole, Krappo and Shityl they should score more.  And they had role players with experience.  Not sure how we shouldn’t be optimistic about the season.   That being said they are the Rangers and usually find a way to disappoint us.  Now drop the damn puck already.  The off season has been too long already.  

Donut Hole, Krappo, Shityl?? Yeah, you’re very optimistic 

The Office Reaction GIF

• LMFAO 3

My basic concerns about the season relate to the core not being good enough and surrounded by young under-achievers and then some real 30-somethings.

I could see them putting up 100 pts and doing 3rd place again however I could also see them catching an unfortunate break or two and struggling for the last wildcard.

My key to the whole season is whether or not Laviolette can unwind Lafreniere and Kakko.  If those guys get rolling it's hard to see the Rangers suffering much this year.

• Believe 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Sorry.

I feel great about this season. Can't wait for it to start. They're going to look like a real team and not guys who met the morning of the game. Gonna be fun. 

Sorry.

We've seen what a core group led by Panarin, Zib, and Kreider can do.  It's not championship-caliber hockey.  And the Rangers are more than one piece away from being a serious contender, which is what the front office continues to do, year after year.

The Rangers are firmly in the category of also-rans.  Too good to get a lottery pick, too flawed to be serious contender.

Just keeping the meter running further away from 1994, and killing time until we can remake the roster.  There's a bunch of players that aren't assistant captain material wearing A's on their jerseys, and that hasn't changed with a new coaching regime.