• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

2 hours ago, siddious said:

When it seems like you’re missing rangers hockey just think about the lack of balls this team had in the playoffs, Panarins lack of point production, zibanajad being MIA, laugh being laugh, the 5v5 play, etc… then go to the beach and have a nice drink 

We all know how this works.  For about a week after elimination you dwell on all those negatives and say "good riddance, team."   Then you spend the rest of the summer pining for the first miserable pre-season game, where you will be glued to MSG to see which PTO or AHLer gets the last roster spot.

• Like 4
  • Bullseye 2

14 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

We all know how this works.  For about a week after elimination you dwell on all those negatives and say "good riddance, team."   Then you spend the rest of the summer pining for the first miserable pre-season game, where you will be glued to MSG to see which PTO or AHLer gets the last roster spot.

The only thing worse than pre-season games are no games at all.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Shut up you don’t know me.

damnit you’re right!

• LMFAO 2

I don’t think I am mentally ready for our potential impending collapse.

Small sad rant.

We wasted so many years of Hank and I’m getting depressed thinking we are about to waste Igor’s best years.

We are about to enter cap hell.

Our 1st and 2nd overall picks havent made a dent.

$12 million dollars on Panarin who doesnt try in the playoffs.

Retread coach hire.

Slim prospect pool besides Othmann.

Jack and Luke Hughes about to explode across the river. They will 100% acquire Quinn in a few years as well. If not sooner. That team is going to friggin rip soon.

Maybe I am just getting fan depressed but I am honestly dreading the next 5 years or more as a Ranger fan.

Can anyone inject some hope and talk me off the hockey ledge?

4 minutes ago, Butcher Icebone said:

Small sad rant.

We wasted so many years of Hank and I’m getting depressed thinking we are about to waste Igor’s best years.

Retread coach hire.

Jack and Luke Hughes about to explode across the river. They will 100% acquire Quinn in a few years as well. If not sooner. That team is going to friggin rip soon.

Maybe I am just getting fan depressed but I am honestly dreading the next 5 years or more as a Ranger fan.

It’s all mostly conjecture.

cap hell ends this off coming off season when the cap goes up significantly.

Laviolette is one of the most winningest coaches of the last 20 years… and the staff he’s putting together has potential. 

Panarin is good enough to give the benefit of the doubt to. 

we don’t need prospects right now with where this team is… Laf kakko Chytil miller Schneider is already arguably too much youth. 

this team is closer to a serious contender with one or two changes than to collapsing. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 4

22 minutes ago, Butcher Icebone said:

Small sad rant.

Retread coach hire.

He does try…the same thing over and over. Here’s some hope. Hope that maybe he’s traded and the org can move on. His contract is reason #1 why they are in a light version of cap…purgatory I’ll call it. True cap hell is Minnesota.

A little more patience on the other stuff. A lot can change in a year or two.

10 hours ago, Butcher Icebone said:

Small sad rant.

Retread coach hire.

I also hope that Shesterkin's best years are still when he's here long term and not a cap casualty, unlike Lundqvist.

"Panarin doesn't try"... Almost as laughable as "impending collapse".

This team will always be a playoff team as long as PANARIN, Zib (You know, the guys everyone whines about), Kreider, Fox, and Shesterkin perform.

How far they go with actual coaching remains to be seen.

But if you're a masochist, which it appears some people are because they love to wallow in the negative, go follow a team that never makes the playoffs. See what that's like. 

The team is competitive. Florida barely made the playoffs and went to the final, and don't tell me it was because they have "jam!" They had luck and they rode a hot goalie. 

• Like 2
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

"Panarin doesn't try"... Almost as laughable as "impending collapse".

This team will always be a playoff team as long as PANARIN, Zib (You know, the guys everyone whines about), Kreider, Fox, and Shesterkin perform.

How far they go with actual coaching remains to be seen.

But if you're a masochist, which it appears some people are because they love to wallow in the negative, go follow a team that never makes the playoffs. See what that's like. 

The team is competitive. Florida barely made the playoffs and went to the final, and don't tell me it was because they have "jam!" They had luck and they rode a hot goalie. 

Where that Bell .gif??

Oh here it is!!!

Ringing London GIF by Lord's Cricket Ground

44 minutes ago, siddious said:

Also to throw more of a fire extinguisher on the Panarin sucks fire;

Where’s the postseason stats? 😆

I don’t think I’ve read anyone here say he sucks except for one or two posters who don’t post anymore.

He’s one of the best regular season UFA signings in history. On the contrary, he’s one of the worst postseason UFA signings in history weighting production against cost. That’s why this guy left out those stats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t think I’ve read anyone here say he sucks except for one or two posters who don’t post anymore.

He’s one of the best regular season UFA signings in history. On the contrary, he’s one of the worst postseason UFA signings in history weighting production against cost. That’s why this guy left out those stats.

Frankly that's a ridiculous statement.

While not a free agent signing, Rick Nash was way worse in the postseason.

And here's the thing, you have to get to the postseason by going through the regular season, and there are way more regular season games.

You can continue to beat the drum around the cap and whatnot, but the fact is the cap doesn't matter in the playoffs and his cap hit has never stopped them from adding what they needed at the deadline.

So really, this is a complete non-point that just gets way more attention than it should. 

• Like 1
  • JIMMY! 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Come on, man, this is a take. I'm all aboard the send Panarin packing train, but there's no way what you wrote maps to reality.

As @Pete just noted, that crown is melted onto Rick Nash's skull like Drogo on Viserys.

• LMFAO 1

37 minutes ago, Phil said:

Come on, man, this is a take. I'm all aboard the send Panarin packing train, but there's no way what you wrote maps to reality.

As @Pete just noted, that crown is melted onto Rick Nash's skull like Drogo on Viserys.

It's not. For one, I said one of the worst. For two, Rick Nash wasn't a UFA signing, but since he's been brought up, here's a comparison of their regular season to post season performance difference.

Rick Nash

Cap hit to upper cap limit % (at time of contract signing): 13.7%

Reg season: .672 ppg

Post season: .52 ppg

23% decrease in production.

Artemi Panarin for Rangers

Cap hit to upper cap limit %: 14.2%

Reg season: 1.27 ppg

Post season: .67 ppg

47% decrease in production.

For all of Nash's warts, he was much closer to who he was in the regular season than Panarin. I always felt Nash was overrated in general. He was a pretty good goal scorer, but only crossed 70 points once. Good, but nothing special. Panarin is special in the regular season. He's the opposite in the playoffs. He's half the player production-wise in the postseason, and that's not even taking into account the complete negative he is defensively. We are talking a regular season Huberdeau with the Panthers to Huberdeau with the Flames kind of drop off. It's astounding.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Bullseye 1
  • JIMMY! 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

He scored 16 pts in 20 games in last years playoffs.

he’s capable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's not. For one, I said one of the worst. For two, Rick Nash wasn't a UFA signing, but since he's been brought up, here's a comparison of their regular season to post season performance difference.

Rick Nash

Cap hit to upper cap limit % (at time of contract signing): 13.7%

Reg season: .672 ppg

Post season: .52 ppg

23% decrease in production.

Artemi Panarin for Rangers

Cap hit to upper cap limit %: 14.2%

Reg season: 1.27 ppg

Post season: .67 ppg

47% decrease in production.

For all of Nash's warts, he was much closer to who he was in the regular season than Panarin. I always felt Nash was overrated in general. He was a pretty good goal scorer, but only crossed 70 points once. Good, but nothing special. Panarin is special in the regular season. He's the opposite in the playoffs. He's half the player production-wise in the postseason, and that's not even taking into account the complete negative he is defensively. We are talking a regular season Huberdeau with the Panthers to Huberdeau with the Flames kind of drop off. It's astounding.

Interesting.  On one hand, you bring up ppg drop-off.  Then you go on to say Nash was a goal scorer, not a points guy.  Regular season Nash scored .41 goals per game.  That's 36.5 goals over 89 games.  In 89 playoff games, Nash scored 18 goals, so half his regular season production.

Then factor in sample size.  Panarin's teams had one true playoff run, 1 first-round loss, and a Covid play-in for 30 games.  Nash had 2 deep runs and 2nd rounds for 73 games.  One good run for Panarin with an actual coach would disrupt your entire argument because the ppg would change drastically.  Oh wait I forgot, I can't mention that Panarin had 1.13 ppg in the playoffs under Torts.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Interesting.  On one hand, you bring up ppg drop-off.  Then you go on to say Nash was a goal scorer, not a points guy.  Regular season Nash scored .41 goals per game.  That's 36.5 goals over 89 games.  In 89 playoff games, Nash scored 18 goals, so half his regular season production.

Then factor in sample size.  Panarin's teams had one true playoff run, 1 first-round loss, and a Covid play-in for 30 games.  Nash had 2 deep runs and 2nd rounds for 73 games.  One good run for Panarin with an actual coach would disrupt your entire argument because the ppg would change drastically.  Oh wait I forgot, I can't mention that Panarin had 1.13 ppg in the playoffs under Torts.

You're conflating things. The topic was the result of UFA signings. What happened before the signing, or trade in Nash's case, is inconsequential. At best, you've found an alternative way to say Nash was as bad as Panarin in the playoffs. Is that what you're hanging your hat on? I'm not sure how that helps your case.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

You're conflating things. The topic was the result of UFA signings. What happened before the signing, or trade in Nash's case, is inconsequential. At best, you've found an alternative way to say Nash was as bad as Panarin in the playoffs. Is that what you're hanging your hat on? I'm not sure how that helps your case.

I'm not hanging my hat on anything.  I don't give a fuck about Nash or any other UFA signings.  I'm excited to see this team, Panarin included, have an actual coaching staff.