• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Devils Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. LGR!

43 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I can definitely say that I was overconfident going into this series solely labeling the Devils' playoff inexperience as a major roadblock for them. But the Jekyll n Hyde Rangers are back and never make things easy. 

Going up 2-0 at the rock gave me an inflated sense of confidence, but going back to what I actually chose in my bracket (not the thread lol), I have Rangers in 7 and now that I've slept on last night's loss, I can say that I definitely didn't think this series was going to be easy. 

The stifled offense in games 3 and 4 though...OOF. 

Stone Cold Steve Austin Beer GIF

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Exactly!  This new dude's got the right idea....(as long as you're not booking any flights that is!!!  Sorry, a little inside joke for @Phil and the mods!  LOL)

...and welcome to the site!!!!  This crew is fabulous...we just get a little emotional when our team plays like a bunch of window-lickers! 

But yeah!  Welcome aboard!

Hey thanks! I’ve actually been a member for about 12 years. But more of a lurker :)

• Cheers 1

Just now, Butcher Icebone said:

Hey thanks! I’ve actually been a member for about 12 years. But more of a lurker 🙂

Ahh yeah, I didn't see that!  I saw the low post count/rank and just assumed you were a newbie.  😉

Well, 'tis the season to come outta the shadows!  Join us for yet another kick at the can! 

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Shesterkin has let up 6 goals in 4 games.  Can't blame him at all.  Team needs to score some goals.

If I told you that after game 4, the Devils would have scored only 7 goals, you'd have thought we'd be talking about waiting for the winner of NYI-CAR for a week. 

The defensive job the Devils have been doing since game 2 ended is tremendous, and it's on Gallant and the players to break their system down.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

If I told you that after game 4, the Devils would have scored only 7 goals, you'd have thought we'd be talking about waiting for the winner of NYI-CAR for a week. 

The defensive job the Devils have been doing since game 2 ended is tremendous, and it's on Gallant and the players to break their system down.

I'll trust the "players" in that one, G Man!!!  The words "Gallant" and "SYSTEM" go together like the phrase "JUMBO SHRIMP"!!!  LOL

4 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

You’re right about scoring. We have to score more than one to win. but the goaltending problem is that we, too, have done a tremendous job on defense. It’s not like the team is leaving him out to dry, they’re playing fantastic defense. You expect Igor to make one more save than Akira Schmid on a low danger chance, but it hasn’t happened last two games. 

5 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Shesterkin has let up 6 goals in 4 games.  Can't blame him at all.  Team needs to score some goals.

If I hadn't watched all the the games, I might not have commented on this...And I really had to think about it. While on the surface, this could be true, I think both goals on Saturday night were very stoppable. That was a winnable game.

So I don't fully blame him for it being 2-2, he certainly played his part and I don't think he's blame free.

The goalie sporting a 1.44 GAA and .941 sv pct is now being blamed. 

Once Lindy Ruff is blamed at end of series, we'll have come full circle, and can send out another letter.

Edited by Dunny
  • Like 1
  • LMFAO 4

If Rangers score first and are tied or have the lead going into the third period of Game 5 things will work out.   Scoreboard allows team in lead to dictate play.

I know the Rangers scored first in game 3 but it was a low chance game.  In game 4 the Devils scored early and were comfortable following the script with both teams neutralizing chances.  After Trocheck scored in the third period of game 4 you could see the game open up with chances traded at both ends…. until the Devils retook the lead.  Then they could revert to neutralizing with the 1-2-2.

Rangers can be more physical, forecheck hard with forwards in the offensive zone, crash the net, screen, and play direct hockey rather than all the cross ice passes and perimeter play.  I don’t think either team has had to grind, check, or work very hard this series compared to the other series I’ve seen around the league.  A few skirmishes and fights but for actual on ice play it’s been pretty chill for the playoffs.

• Bullseye 1

21 minutes ago, Dunny said:

The goalie sporting a 1.44 GAA and .941 sv pct is now being blamed. 

Once Lindy Ruff is blamed at end of series, we'll have come full circle, and can send out another letter.

Well, he let in 2 stoppable shot all series, both happened to be in the same game.

Not sure what you think I'm "blaming him" for. Everyone has played their part to get here. The coach, the skaters, and the goalie.

17 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Hughes goal in Game 3 was soft, considering distance and angle and short side.  Other three Devils goals in Games 3-4 not soft but stoppable.  Need more from Sheshty.

Yea ,he needs to shut out the devils every game ,or maybe start Panarin in  goal  because he sure isn't doing dog shit anywhere on the ice 

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Well, he let in 2 stoppable shot all series, both happened to be in the same game.

Not sure what you think I'm "blaming him" for. Everyone has played their part to get here. The coach, the skaters, and the goalie.

This is true. The goalie stopping low danger chances is paramount. Regardless of the unbelievable stops, the job is to definitely stop the gimmes. He owns part of the losses as does the offense. They all did part of their jobs. Defending Shestys GAA and SV% is akin to defending the offense saying we have scored 12 goals this series.  

• Bullseye 1

To me, the most disappointing player in this series has been Zibanejad. We are at our best when he’s at his, and he’s just not right now. Across 4 games, he only has 2 assists which is just not good enough. In addition, it seems like he can’t win an offensive zone face off if his life depended on it. We saw this act last year against Pittsburgh when he was ice cold until late in the series. But we need him. Now. No more waiting. He needs to show up starting tomorrow night.

• Keeps it 100 2

14 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

To me, the most disappointing player in this series has been Zibanejad. We are at our best when he’s at his, and he’s just not right now. Across 4 games, he only has 2 assists which is just not good enough. In addition, it seems like he can’t win an offensive zone face off if his life depended on it. We saw this act last year against Pittsburgh when he was ice cold until late in the series. But we need him. Now. No more waiting. He needs to show up starting tomorrow night.

I'm not disappointed at all. He's held Hughes and Hischier to 2 points each through 4 games. He's done a phenomenal job defensively. There are about eight other guys who should be capable of producing offense while he's busy shutting down the opposition's best players. 

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not disappointed at all. He's held Hughes and Hischier to 2 points each through 4 games. He's done a phenomenal job defensively. There are about eight other guys who should be capable of producing offense while he's busy shutting down the opposition's best players. 

If he were Blair Betts, I’d be content. But he’s not. He’s a near 40 Goal 1C with a track record of playing his best in big spots. And he isn’t right now. If anything, he and Hischier are canceling one another out. Hughes has gotten his looks the last 2 games, and has goals in back to back games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

It has been an equally shared team effort to try and stifle Hughes and Hischier.

G1 (forward opposition TOI against at 5v5 w/ 4 minutes or more):

Hughes against: Panarin 7:01, Tro 6:30, Tarasenko 6:18, Kakko 4:37, Chytil 4:27, Laf 4:16 (Zib 3:25)

Hischier against: Kane 4:51, Laf 4:42, Kakko 4:33, Kreider 4:31, Chytil 4:31, Zib 4:16

G2

Hughes against: Tro 5:16, Panarin 4:52, Tarsenko 4:28, Chytil 4:12, Motte 4:09, Goodrow 4:01 (Zib 1:55)

Hischier against: Kane 5:01, Kreider 4:52, Zib 4:49

G3:

Hughes against: Goodrow 5:43, Kreider 5:19, Zib 5:10, Tro 5:01, Panarin 5:00, Kane 4:58, Tarasenko 4:40, Motte 4:34, Vesey 4:30 

Hischier against: Tro 6:10, Panarin 5:52, Zib 5:42, Kreider 5:37, Tarasenko 4:31, Chytil 4:21

G4

Hughes against: Tro 8:28, Panarin 7:55, Kane 6:48, Kreider 6:28, Tarasenko 6:22, Zib 5:13, Goodrow 4:16

Hischier against: Zib 4:43, Panarin 4:37, Kane 4:21, Laf 4:03

Zibanejad gets no more credit than anyone else for it. It is major copium to be satisfied with a 40 goal 90 point #1 C being JAG in the game plan. It is simply not enough and he's choking. Panarin too. Inexcusable offensive production and it is very disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If he were Blair Betts, I’d be content. But he’s not. He’s a near 40 Goal 1C with a track record of playing his best in big spots. And he isn’t right now. If anything, he and Hischier are canceling one another out. Hughes has gotten his looks the last 2 games, and has goals in back to back games.

Blair Betts wouldn't be able to hold those guys to 2 points, is my point.

Yes, often the top guys cancel each other rout. That's normal. Where's the Trocheck line? Where's the kid line?

Edited by Pete