• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Where the Fuck Am I Gonna Move?

phillyb

1 hour ago, siddious said:

The most expensive room to renovate but also the most fun. 

Definitely going to do some custom work that fit my specific needs. 

31 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I bet those cabinets are all built out of good quality lumber rather than shit particle board that everything is made of these days.  Can chance you can save yourself some money and keep some of them and just get new doors for them?

So...they're the old school metal cabinets. Not sure how much wood there is on them. Nonetheless, they could actually be kind of cool if they're cleaned up. So to your point, that's likely where I'll start - cleaning them and using them as is. 

I want to be in the space (the whole apartment, not just kitchen) to let it dictate to me what it needs before I start ripping into shit. 

I redid my stairs last year and then also did my bedroom floor so I'd like to think I can likely tackle most of what the kitchen will eventually need. 

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

3 hours ago, phillyb said:

@siddious

No appliances and the cabinets and countertops are old, though functional. I'ma get an oven/stove/range and fridge in there and then figure out what the space needs and dictates to me over time. But yeah, I went into it kinda knowing that it needs a full kitchen renovation. 

WOvfg1Y.jpg

Wpe7eBw.jpg

rwZlXMG.jpg

WY2RSZC.jpg

HfVuHm3.jpg

That shit looks gross. Definitely get an electrician in there to add some outlets. If not .. swap them old ones for GFI outlets. Please recaulk the top of the counters. Maybe add some backsplash tile? 

I'm more confused as to what went where. What's the slit in the corner/ not corner of the counter? Whats with the wood?  

Double din sinks are stupid and that one looks like someone was disintegrating body parts in it. That faucet is for a Dr's office/ laboratory. 

But who am I kidding? My kitchen stinks. Hate my countertop - and layout, need backsplash, overdue for new stove. Too lazy to put in hood microwave I bought a month ago.  

But that open living area you have is fucking awesome. 

Congrats. 

32 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That shit looks gross. Definitely get an electrician in there to add some outlets. If not .. swap them old ones for GFI outlets. Please recaulk the top of the counters. Maybe add some backsplash tile? 

I'm more confused as to what went where. What's the slit in the corner/ not corner of the counter? Whats with the wood?  

Double din sinks are stupid and that one looks like someone was disintegrating body parts in it. That faucet is for a Dr's office/ laboratory. 

But who am I kidding? My kitchen stinks. Hate my countertop - and layout, need backsplash, overdue for new stove. Too lazy to put in hood microwave I bought a month ago.  

Congrats. 

No GFCIs in kitchen or either bathroom. One switch is literally hanging in one of the closets with about 6' of BX wiring. Every single outlet, switch, and cover has been painted. I'm buying it from a person who's lived there since 1988 and my guess is that they did very little to update, let alone maintain, the unit over the years. 

These countertops are very...interesting. I almost want to keep em and put like...clear epoxy on top? Is that a thing? But yeah, they're filthy, the sink? Filthy. Gonna hire a cleaning crew before I even put my shit in there. 

Backsplash - breh, I need appliances and you're talking to me about lack of backsplash lol. 

Yeah, the living space is real large, big solarium, lots of charm, and cheeky bullshit that I like. 

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

What is this?

The Dude also asked...it's a cutout for a base that can be used as a blender, mixer, and other items. 

Edited by phillyb

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Congrats. 

🤣🤣🤣

sounds like me everytime I walk into my kitchen. It’s the only room in the house that wasn’t touched when we bought it simply for budget reasson. Can’t wait till I’m not in debt to re-do it.

and yea I forgot to say congrats philly

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phillyb said:

No GFCIs in kitchen or either bathroom. One switch is literally hanging in one of the closets with about 6' of BX wiring. Every single outlet, switch, and cover has been painted. I'm buying it from a person who's lived there since 1988 and my guess is that they did very little to update, let alone maintain, the unit over the years. 

These countertops are very...interesting. I almost want to keep em and put like...clear epoxy on top? Is that a thing? But yeah, they're filthy, the sink? Filthy. Gonna hire a cleaning crew before I even put my shit in there. 

Backsplash - breh, I need appliances and you're talking to me about lack of backsplash lol. 

Yeah, the living space is real large, big solarium, lots of charm, and cheeky bullshit that I like. 

The Dude also asked...it's a cutout for a base that can be used as a blender, mixer, and other items. 

I mentioned the backsplash, because it's something I should have done when I replaced my sink and faucet. Just something I hate myself for not doing.  Was even thinking of buying some of the cheap stick on fake sheets of stone... 

Good luck man. You did really good when you did your stairs, so you probably got this cosmetic stuff. 

Are you going stainless appliances? I saw they make some flat/matte black appliances that look pretty bad ass. 

Just stay the fuck away from Samsung.  

Edit, oh and that old school all in one machine looks... interesting.  Is it still there? Like all the attachments and stuff? 

Edited by The Dude

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Why do you say that? Just curious because it's a very polarizing brand. People love them or hate them. 

I have a Samsung Washer and Dryer. They are decent front loading machines. Don't love em or hate em but for what it's worth, I don't know I could find a washer/dryer that I would love. Does the job. Haha

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Why do you say that? Just curious because it's a very polarizing brand. People love them or hate them. 

Their kitchen appliances are junk. The last maybe 2-4 years if you're lucky. I believe their washers and dryers are deemed not too bad. 

They make great TVs and cellphones, but their refrigerators, stoves, hoods and dishwashers are crap. High failure rate and I'm pretty sure they rate very low in customer satisfaction. 

I bought a Samsung fridge for my last house and that lasted maybe 2 years. Kept freezing up then overheating. Guy I worked with bought one a month or so after I did.  Same issue. 

Bought my new house 4 year's ago. It came with a pretty new Samsung fridge. Dead in a year with compressor failure and control panel issues. 

Most everyone I know who has bought Samsung has regretted it quickly. Friends and family who install fir a living also say to stay away from their stuff. 

Generally most of this crap is built to fail. A few brands are pretty much the same product with a different brand sticker on them. Maytag is the same as Whirlpool and I think GE, but you get a better warranty with a Maytag (most of their stuff comes with factory 10 year I think).

Nothing is built like they used to be. I'm pretty sure my parents old Kenmore fridge is going strong 20 years now. 

But Samsung has been really bad for roughly 8 years now. 

Edited by The Dude

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Their kitchen appliances are junk. The last maybe 2-4 years if you're lucky. I believe their washers and dryers are deemed not too bad. 

They make great TVs and cellphones, but their refrigerators, stoves, hoods and dishwashers are crap. High failure rate and I'm pretty sure they rate very low in customer satisfaction. 

I bought a Samsung fridge for my last house and that lasted maybe 2 years. Kept freezing up then overheating. Guy I worked with bought one a month or so after I did.  Same issue. 

Bought my new house 4 year's ago. It came with a pretty new Samsung fridge. Dead in a year with compressor failure and control panel issues. 

Most everyone I know who has bought Samsung has regretted it quickly. Friends and family who install fir a living also say to stay away from their stuff. 

Generally most of this crap is built to fail. A few brands are pretty much the same product with a different brand sticker on them. Maytag is the same as Whirlpool and I think GE, but you get a better warranty with a Maytag (most of their stuff comes with factory 10 year I think).

Nothing is built like they used to be. I'm pretty sure my parents old Kenmore fridge is going strong 20 years now. 

But Samsung has been really bad for roughly 8 years now. 

Got it, yeah I know people who install who crap on Samsung and will only buy GE...

• TroCheckmark 1

• 4 weeks later...

I close tomorrow. I'm fucking beat. I slept through periods 1 and 2 of game 6 cause I was packing all of Friday, all of Friday night and movers came Saturday. Movers left at like 3pm and I passed the fuckkkkkkk out. 

There have been so many hurdles that have come up along the way of this purchase and the most recent was not being clear to close until Friday. First the condo didn't appraise at value, it actually appraised 45k under value, which...is...just...fuck off. It's worth the price we agreed on, but my neighborhood is weird: half a mile one way is not desirable, everything to going to the other side is very desirable. The comparable units on the appraisal were all over the place - 210k, 140k, 200k, 167k, etc. and it ended up being appraised at 155k...

Fuck. Off. 

The bank ordered another appraisal but this was only last week and May 1st has been my close date for about 4-5 weeks, so we're really up against the clock here. Thankfully the second appraisal came back at value and here's how that convo went: 

"Great news, phillyb™ - it appraised at value, but I have some bad news..."

Of course you do...

"There are enough units delinquent in their HOA fees that we need more money down"

Of course you do...

I don't want to get into the details, I'm just agreeing to things left and right lol. 

Movers were here yesterday and took all my shit from my house onto their truck. It comes to my new place on Tuesday. 

Buyers did walkthrough this evening - excellent. We're good. 

Junk hauled away this evening. 

Sleeping on an air mattress with my gf, three cats, and dog this evening. 

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

ghtyrMN.jpg

thXgMz1.jpg

GKrUMDY.jpg

P9Gpspd.jpg

Ba9RPA0.jpg

Yep! All closed and moved in. Got tons of unpacking to do and tons of shit to get the place, not to mention clean. It needs cleaning bad. 

My new washer and dryer come on Tuesday (LG cheapies) and we’re gonna use the Instapot for now. I’ll prob need to get a mini fridge before splurging for a real refrigerator because I don’t know if I want to live with the kitchen as is or redo it soon. 

It took five guys to bring my piano upstairs. The only casualty of the move was a floor lamp - fine. Not bad. 

My dog is so happy. She gets to go on walks again (I got lazy at the house having a yard to let her go piss and shit in). 
The condo is all on one fucking level - my house was so odd, it had three levels above ground and a basement. 

The bathrooms are better. 

My sunroom is amazing. 

I have parking. 

I have honeycomb tile in the bathroom which is a personal preference. 

I fucking love this place - now to fix it up and make it mine. 

• Applause 4
  • Keeps it 100 1