• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Where the Fuck Am I Gonna Move?

phillyb

58 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I'll look. The thought of moving back to NY is always appealing. My mom is in Manhattan and any chance/excuse I can use to see her is always great. 

I mean, then maybe actually consider LI? Just understand that the real estate market there is incredibly inflated for obvious reasons. My brother just bought a house in Medford — population of like 24K, median age of 42, median salary of around 99K, median property value of $335K — for like $425K.

It's a nice house. Good yard. But it's... a house. For nearly half a million.

Same is true of another college buddy of mine. They bought in Patchogue for I think just under $500K.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, then maybe actually consider LI? Just understand that the real estate market there is incredibly inflated for obvious reasons. My brother just bought a house in Medford — population of like 24K, median age of 42, median salary of around 99K, median property value of $335K — for like $425K.

Same is true of another college buddy of mine. They bought in Patchogue for I think just under $500K.

I paid just a little bit more in 2020 for my house in Chicago, so that number doesn't keep me away per se. 

1 minute ago, phillyb said:

I paid just a little bit more in 2020 for my house in Chicago, so that number doesn't keep me away per se. 

Well, that's the median/sale for Medford, which is your run-of-the-mill, generic suburban LI town. Has a Starbucks, has a couple hotels, has a Target and a Sam's Club. That's ... about it.

So, depending on where else you look, if you do, expect those numbers to go much higher. Especially if you are poking around the north shore at all.

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

IL/Chicago has been ramming me hard in the ass regarding taxes so it'd be nice to take a break from getting rammed in the fucking ass on this topic. 

I would think this would eliminate LI

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

Fuckkkkkkk cars. 

You're going to have to decide if you want space, or if you want to be car free. It's not going to be easy to get space but not have to drive everywhere. I moved from BK to NJ for space, and also didn't want to drive for milk. Now I'm realizing that space is much more important and driving to the store for milk isn't so bad.

• Like 1

Fair. And when I say space, I don't mean 5 acres. I mean a place for the dog to piss, shit, and run around. My postage-stamp-sized yard accomplishes this goal for the most part and I just a little bit more space so she can really stretch her legs. 

Interior space is more important. I don’t need 4 bedrooms, but I need a music room where I can turn my shit the fuck up and not worry about neighbors, etc. This is quite easily accomplished with planning and sound-proofing material but I don't want to share walls with anyone. 

I think I just mean "a little bit more space" than what I have now. 

Edited by phillyb

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:
  • I would think this would eliminate LI

Yup, taxes and the car issue are major impediments. But he did say his mom is in Manhattan, so I figured OK, I can at least explain what I know about it and let him make the decision.

1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Yeah this is a pretty good one too. I visited there once and I really liked it. 

Yeah, we love Maine as a whole and Portland is such an up and coming downtown. Definitely not a conservative stuffy area by any means. Great food scene, near water, Maine is called Vacationland for a reason, and there is a great night life there especially in warmer months. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I need to have the museums nearby too, but I sure as shit don't go to them. And when I realize I'm out of ice cream, it takes me 90 minutes to get my whole ass ready to go to the store lol

It feels like you live in the middle of a poppy field that's forever on fire.

I honestly can't imagine why you would want to move.