• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECSF #1: (2M) Rangers at (1M) Carolina Hurricanes — Ay Tone

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Language thing, "throwing the game" means you lost intentionally.

He means “threw it away”, which I’d say is cherry picking moments somewhat. Yes, they controlled the game in the first 40 and had the game on Kakko’s stick. But they were utterly dominated for the entire 3rd and the Canes hit two pipes themselves. I think “threw it away” is a bit strong.

• Thanks 1

They definitely pissed it away lol

Lafreniere rang iron, too.

Ultimately they were leading with 3 minutes left in the hockey game, and had lost the game in short order after that. If that's not pissing the game, and a golden opportunity away, I dunno what is.

Edited by Dunny
  • Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Confidence is contagious, but it can't be manufactured, either. His problem is that he doesn't score often enough to build it naturally. Not sure what a psychologist is going to be able to do to remedy that. He simply needs to score more.

It's all part of the learning process, sometimes you make those layups, sometimes you don't.  Have to learn to shake it off and move on, good lesson for a 21 year old.....

• Keeps it 100 1

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Language thing, "throwing the game" means you lost intentionally.

Honestly I've looked at that Kakko miss 50 times today and I'm struggling to see how he did that unintentionally.

Yes I know he didn't miss on purpose, but it feels like it.

13 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

He means “threw it away”, which I’d say is cherry picking moments somewhat. Yes, they controlled the game in the first 40 and had the game on Kakko’s stick. But they were utterly dominated for the entire 3rd and the Canes hit two pipes themselves. I think “threw it away” is a bit strong.

I wouldn't say that. Hitting the post is the same as shooting wide. Don't even know if it would've went in even if he hit the net. Missing two clear open nets (Ranta's pad was in the way for Chytil, but still) and not bother back-checking with 2 minutes left is simple things you just have to do if you want to win in the playoffs. Pucks hitting the post happens basically ever game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cr00zng said:

Missing the empty net happens and in Kakko's case, it probably wouldn't count anyway even if he puts it in. The left goalpost was off its mooring about foot and the Canegers could have challanged it. In either case, come on Kakko, you have to put that in...

As many times as I saw the replay, I hadn't noticed that.  Good catch!!!

19 minutes ago, Dr. Jimmy said:

It's all part of the learning process, sometimes you make those layups, sometimes you don't.  Have to learn to shake it off and move on, good lesson for a 21 year old.....

This is what this whole thing is about to me, Jimmy.  This team and especially these young players are just cutting their teeth on what's going to be an "open window" at taking a bunch of shots at winning a Stanley Cup.

I realize that we have some veterans mixed in, but that will always be the case as teams will look for depth and experience at the deadline.

The core of this team is eventually going to be these kids, and the more situations like this they encounter will definitely pay huge dividends in the not too distant future.  Hell, we may even see benefits from these types of games later in this playoff run!  I for one, am very happy with the way we've handled ourselves so far.

This one loss doesn't change anything.  We put this one behind us and move on to the next one! 

Edited by Ozzy
  • Bullseye 1

If our players have to learn how to hit a wide open net, we have a long way to go gents. Might as well pack this season up and go home.

I do think it’s worse because it happened to be Kakko with the miss. He’s running out of excuses if he hasn’t already.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

They definitely pissed it away lol

Lafreniere rang iron, too.

Ultimately they were leading with 3 minutes left in the hockey game, and had lost the game in short order after that. If that's not pissing the game, and a golden opportunity away, I dunno what is.

Not that it matters, but I’m not entirely sure how you “piss away” a 1-0 game in which you have been comprehensively outplayed in the final 20. If they had carried a 3 goal lead into the 3rd period then sure. A missed opportunity, absolutely. Might be semantics, but I certainly wouldn’t classify what happened last night as pissing it away. 
Although I guess Panarin’s “back checking” on one skate and one hand on the stick comes close to qualifying.

5 hours ago, Cr00zng said:

Missing the empty net happens and in Kakko's case, it probably wouldn't count anyway even if he puts it in. The left goalpost was off its mooring about foot and the Canegers could have challanged it. In either case, come on Kakko, you have to put that in...

Good catch, my guess is they would of gone back and figured out who was responsibility for it coming off. If the Canes knocked it off I believe it would of counted if he buried it into the net. Kakko made sure that wasn't an issue of dispute.  I agree with you also if the net was on it's still a miss.  Lot's of what if's but it would of been interesting to hear that horn blow 90 seconds after the miss when Toronto figured out it would of been in had he made a better shot crossing over the goal line.

But we move on having said no thank you to a team who's now awake after trying to give one away. 

8 hours ago, Cr00zng said:

if that net was on I think it’s in

damn the luck

8 hours ago, Cr00zng said: