• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECSF: (1A) Florida Panthers vs. (3A) Tampa Bay Lightning

Phil

Who wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

BSBH Game Day Thread Logo
(1A) Florida Panthers vs. (3A) Tampa Bay Lightning

FS5neveXsAExRlu?format=jpg&name=medium

REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS:

Panthers: 58-18-6, 122 points

Lightning: 51-23-8, 110 points

SEASON SERIES:

FLA 2-1-1; WAS 2-2-0

GAME BREAKERS:

Panthers: Carter Verhaeghe had a first round to remember, outshining big-name teammates such as Aleksander Barkov, Jonathan Huberdeau, Giroux and Aaron Ekblad by setting Panthers playoff records with six goals and 12 points in six games against the Capitals. The forward scored two goals, including the overtime winner, in Game 4, had five points (two goals, three assists), including the winning goal, in Game 5 and scored another overtime winner and had an assist in Game 6.

Lightning: Nikita Kucherov led the Lightning with eight points (two goals, six assists) in the first round, including the tying 5-on-3 goal in third period of their 4-3 overtime victory in Game 6. Kucherov led the League with 32 points (eight goals, 24 assists) in 23 playoff games last season and is fourth among active players with 135 points (46 goals, 89 assists) in 120 playoff games. That includes 11 points (three goals, eight assists) in six games against Florida last postseason.

GOALTENDING:

Panthers: Sergei Bobrovsky was solid and made timely saves in the first round, finishing with a 2.79 goal-against average and .906 save percentage to win the second postseason series when he played more than two games in his 12 NHL seasons (nine seasons in the playoffs). Bobrovsky was 39-7-3 with a 2.67 GAA, .913 save percentage and three shutouts during the regular season. Rookie backup Spencer Knight didn't play against the Capitals but started the final two games of the series against the Lightning last season, including a 36-save performance in a 4-1 win in Game 5.

Lightning: Andrei Vasilevskiy has played every minute of every playoff game for Tampa Bay during its run of nine consecutive series victories. Vasilevskiy's numbers were pedestrian in the first round (3.04 GAA, .897 save percentage), but he further fortified his big-game resume by making 30 saves in Tampa Bay's 2-1 series-clinching win in Game 7 against Toronto on Saturday. Vasilevskiy was 39-18-5 with a 2.49 GAA, .916 save percentage and two shutouts during the regular season. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy voted to the most valuable player in the playoffs last season when he was 16-7 with a 1.99 GAA, .937 save percentage and five shutouts.

X FACTORS:

Panthers: Ekblad appeared to find his legs and timing as the first round progressed after the defenseman missed the final 20 games of the regular season with a lower-body injury. Ekblad had five points (one goal, four assists) in the six games against Washington and his skating and passing skill were keys to starting Florida's quick-strike transition game.

Lightning: Forward Nicholas Paul scored the first two NHL playoff goals of his career in Game 7 against Toronto and might be more important against Florida with Brayden Point's status uncertain after sustaining an apparent lower-body injury Saturday. Paul had 14 points (five goals, nine assists) in 21 regular-season games with the Lightning after being acquired in a trade with the Ottawa Senators on March 20.

WILL WIN IF:

Panthers: Bobrovsky continues to make timely saves, Huberdeau breaks out after a quiet first round (one goal, two assists) and they get off to better starts. Comebacks are the Panthers' specialty but chasing games usually isn't a blueprint for long playoff runs.

Lightning: They play team defense like they did in Game 7 against the Maple Leafs (26 blocked shots), Vasilevskiy continues his big-game ways, and they don't run out of gas after playing 55 playoff games over the past three postseasons. But Point's injury is a concern.

MORE:

The breakdowns have Caps instead of Lightning.

This one will come down to goaltending.  All season long, and in round one, Bob lets in a slew of goals and the Panthers make a huge comeback to win.  I don't see Tampa letting off the gas if they jump out to a big lead.  Only issue I have with Tampa is them coming off a hard played seven game series whereas FL had a few more days of rest.  Tampa in seven.

Going to be quite busy in South Florida the next couple of weeks.  

Pretty ballsy by the NHL to schedule the Panthers to play on the same nights at the Heat (Heat schedule came out first).  One good thing for the Panthers is that their games start at 7:00 while the Heat games start at 8:30, but will people tune out of the Panthers games in the 3rd period to watch the Heat?  

I want the cats to win and have to play our NYR in the Finals. Both teams have no quit and have come from behind for their wins. This would be exciting from puck drop to final buzzer every game.

With that said, watching Tampa cement their dynasty as a 3-peat would also be really cool to witness. History in the making!

This series will be worth watching!!

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I want the cats to win and have to play our NYR in the Finals. Both teams have no quit and have come from behind for their wins. This would be exciting from puck drop to final buzzer every game.

With that said, watching Tampa cement their dynasty as a 3-peat would also be really cool to witness. History in the making!

This series will be worth watching!!

Shit if the Lightning 3-peat, might as well go for a 4-peat so we don’t have to hear Islander fans say that no team will ever 4-peat again 

This ought to be a reasonably close series but I just don't see TBL having enough gas to overcome FLA's relentless firepower although I expect all that Cup experience should allow them to take this to the limit. FLA in 7. 

5 hours ago, Karan said:

This ought to be a reasonably close series but I just don't see TBL having enough gas to overcome FLA's relentless firepower although I expect all that Cup experience should allow them to take this to the limit. FLA in 7. 

The defense for both teams concern me, since FLA gave up six goals in a game against Washington and TB gave up five goals twice against Toronto.  It's most likely going to come down to goaltending and scoring depth. 

The officiating in this game has made it virtually impossible to watch. I mean they missed  puck out of play in the net (it wasn't even close) where they had to go back and take  a goal off the board (rightly so).  It wasn't just our series it's dreadful throughout the league.

• Bullseye 1

I know Weegar and Ekblad are supposedly two of the best defenders in the league but I feel like whenever I watch the Panthers they're always getting walked. Especially Weegar, he was so awful in that Caps series and I feel like you can make a decently long lowlight video of his defensive mishaps this year