• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Justin Braun From PHI for 3rd-Round Pick

Phil

3 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I think the hesitance is he's a RHD and that means replacing Fox, Trouba, or Schneider. Schneider has played well, but I could see wanting more experience in that slot. Unless he plays both sides, we're still gonna see Nemeth and I don't think any of us want that. More moves to come, fingers crossed, that don't involve Schneider going the other way. 

Schneider is a rookie. I have no issue putting a more experienced defensive player in his place especially in the playoffs. It would've been nice to upgrade upon Nemeth, but I don't think there were better options out there for cheap.

• TroCheckmark 1

4 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Schneider is a rookie. I have no issue putting a more experienced defensive player in his place especially in the playoffs. It would've been nice to upgrade upon Nemeth, but I don't think there were better options out there for cheap.

I have a huge problem with this if that’s who doesn’t play. Schneider is fine. He’s NHL ready.  These guys have to learn somehow what they need to work on, improve on, and get experience. He hasn’t been out of place at all. 

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Schneider will the casualty here, I think.

Might be good with that depending on who it is for. Rangers sitting on Lundkvist to slide up later too.

Schneider looks good, but I think Rangers fans are overrating him a bit. He looks like he might be a steady 2nd pairing guy down the road. Limited offense, but has decent speed and can use his body well. Not sure why it’s “untradeable”.

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I have a huge problem with this if that’s who doesn’t play. Schneider is fine. He’s NHL ready.  These guys have to learn somehow what they need to work on, improve on, and get experience. He hasn’t been out of place at all. 

Nemeth and Trouba are the only Rangers defensemen with playoff experience. Schneider barely has NHL experience, while he has shown that he's NHL ready, does that mean playoff ready? Those are not the same thing. 

• TroCheckmark 2

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Might be good with that depending on who it is for. Rangers sitting on Lundkvist to slide up later too.

Schneider looks good, but I think Rangers fans are overrating him a bit. He looks like he might be a steady 2nd pairing guy down the road. Limited offense, but has decent speed and can use his body well. Not sure why it’s “untradeable”.

I don't think he's untradable, but it's nice to get some value out of an ELC, for once.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

What makes him untradeable is that his combination of skill and talent along with him being a cap hit of 925k (+400k max if all performance bonuses are met) is carried until 24/25. We need that value contract and if he’s a second pair ? That’s huge. 

• Like 2

Just now, rmc51 said:

Untradeable maybe cause our other "deep pool of top defensive prospects" have come in and underwhelmed. Schneider came in and looked like he's been in the NHL for years. That combined with his cap hit to ice him and the fact he's got a more physical game which can't really be taught and which I think we're going to see more of as he gets more comfortable.

At the same time, if we have an opportunity to "sell high" on someone before their potential sophomore slump and bring back a game changer going into the playoffs (and I would hope someone we could have for next season or more as well) then I'm not totally opposed at all

1 minute ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Nemeth and Trouba are the only Rangers defensemen with playoff experience. Schneider barely has NHL experience, while he has shown that he's NHL ready, does that mean playoff ready? Those are not the same thing. 

Well if you don’t play him, you’ll never know if he’s not playoff ready. Plus, with his contract being so low until 24/25 , he will be playoff ready sooner rather than later if he gets experience this may. 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

Well if you don’t play him, you’ll never know if he’s not playoff ready. Plus, with his contract being so low until 24/25 , he will be playoff ready sooner rather than later if he gets experience this may. 

So he can play in the playoffs next year when he's got more NHL experience under his belt. He hasn't been so spectacular that you need to question replacing him with a reliable veteran with 100 playoff games experience.

8 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

So he can play in the playoffs next year when he's got more NHL experience under his belt. He hasn't been so spectacular that you need to question replacing him with a reliable veteran with 100 playoff games experience.

But that doesn’t help him get playoff experience until next year then. He doesn’t need a full regular season to deserve the chance to show he also can play in the playoffs. 

I think he has been pretty good. The last 26 games he’s played, he’s been the constant on the third pair regardless of who he’s played with. He has carried Nemeths anchor around or Jones “shakiness.” 

maybe he plays both because Nemeth is the guy to replace, not Schneider at all.p in my opinion. 

Just now, Keirik said:

But that doesn’t help him get playoff experience until next year then. He doesn’t need a full regular season to deserve the chance to show he also can play in the playoffs. 

I think he has been pretty good. The last 26 games he’s played, he’s been the constant on the third pair regardless of who he’s played with. He has carried Nemeths anchor around or Jones “shakiness.” 

maybe he plays both because Nemeth is the guy to replace, not Schneider at all.p in my opinion. 

Miller, Lindgren and Fox don't have playoff experience either. You don't need 4/6 of your defense experiencing playoff hockey for the first time together. Schneider's time will come. I don't even think it's fair to say he's carried Nemeth.

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Nemeth is this year’s whipping boy. I think he’s actually been pretty good lately especially last night. I won’t have issues if he plays in the playoffs.

No one was good last night… but he’s been better since he returned from the COVID/personal stuff scratching.

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Nemeth is this year’s whipping boy. I think he’s actually been pretty good lately especially last night. I won’t have issues if he plays in the playoffs.

That's because he was in the box for the majority of last night. There's "unnoticeable because he's steady" and "unnoticeable because he isn't on the ice". It's the latter. 

5 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

That's because he was in the box for the majority of last night. There's "unnoticeable because he's steady" and "unnoticeable because he isn't on the ice". It's the latter. 

lol he had 2 pim.  He played a solid 14 minutes. Much better than he was earlier in the year.