• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Signs 1-Year $6.1M Offer Sheet — What Would You Do?

BrooksBurner

What Would You Do: Kaapo Kakko signs a 1 yr 6.1M offer sheet  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Match
    • Take compensation (1st, 3rd)
  2. 2. What would the Rangers do?

• Match
    • Take compensation (1st, 3rd)

53 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Wow, the stock on a number 2 pick in the draft has fallen,if I  asked this a few  years ago,you guys would chewd me up and spit me out in a second.

Not just Kakko’s stock. The majority wouldn’t have traded Lafreniere for Brady Tkachuk and #3 or #5 that year either. Rip.

38 minutes ago, Phil said:

Proudly not among that group. I said 1 for Tkachuk and 3 or 5, no problem.

Same here. I couldn’t believe how many wouldn’t trade the #1 for literally anything.

But I’d be lying if I didn’t say other’s convictions about Laf had my head in the clouds with respect to expectations. Still remember “60 pts easy year one”

Edited by rmc51

The Alf conversation about not trading him for anything is just because we never had our own 1st overall.we never had that “our guy” stud since Leetch in terms of expectations so no one wanted to think we wait this long to get that bonafide drafted generational guy so many other teams get every so often. Alf wasn’t projected to be Crosby level but still. He was projected to be an impact player from day one. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Id let him go and sign the guys who have played since the deadline who have made this team look like they could bring home that coveted trophy. Good luck Kakko. And I truly mean that. Im asking someone to please offer sheet kakko so we can keep this lineup.

He isnt going to be generational folks; he may put it together at some point but our window is the next 5 years and we have a group that looks great together!

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Id let him go and sign the guys who have played since the deadline who have made this team look like they could bring home that coveted trophy. Good luck Kakko. And I truly mean that. Im asking someone to please offer sheet kakko so we can keep this lineup.

He isnt going to be generational folks; he may put it together at some point but our window is the next 5 years and we have a group that looks great together!

Nah. Not walking away from a 2OA who's development has been so awkwardly laid out. Really don't want him offersheeted, despite how big of a let down his progression has been.

But if someone does, I can't say I blame them for not matching. Rather see Kakko get another opportunity here. 

8 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

He was never supposed to be generational.  

3 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm aware of what he was billed as and he hasn't shown what was promised. Im saying he hasn't progressed where im spending a significant part of this cap for a hope and a dream. No thanks. Want to win now with the team that has a solid core and promise. 

Let's face it though, no team is giving him 5+ mil because he was a #2 OA. Cmon, let's be real.

• VINNY! 1

29 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm aware of what he was billed as and he hasn't shown what was promised. Im saying he hasn't progressed where im spending a significant part of this cap for a hope and a dream. No thanks. Want to win now with the team that has a solid core and promise. 

Let's face it though, no team is giving him 5+ mil because he was a #2 OA. Cmon, let's be real.

I agree I don't think he deserves a big bump simply because he was drafted 2OA.  I think that should push him down since he hasn't lived up to the draft spot.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

No, he was supposed to be dominant, and he isn't that, either.

But there's absolutely a monetary breaking point on this. I wouldn't even be comfortable paying him anything north of $3 million right now, let alone $4–5 million. I'd probably keep him, then trade him after a year, because that's the other thing to remember here: players who sign offer sheets are telling you they want out. I'd grant that request at the first opportunity and take what comes of it.

• Keeps it 100 1