• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Signs 1-Year $6.1M Offer Sheet — What Would You Do?

BrooksBurner

What Would You Do: Kaapo Kakko signs a 1 yr 6.1M offer sheet  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Match
    • Take compensation (1st, 3rd)
  2. 2. What would the Rangers do?

• Match
    • Take compensation (1st, 3rd)

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I really don't see this happening, but if it did I think I'd go the Pete and Phil route.

I love the kid, but $6 million for him??  No dice, baby!  I can't see us putting ourselves in hot water, cap-wise by signing a guy that's...to tell you quite honestly...not worth it....not yet anyway.  Maybe/hopefully in a few years he is worth that much....but not now.

Right, and therein lies the rub. An offer sheet can only be matched, so if someone offers Kakko $6.1 with a contract extension for the year after in the desk drawer for $4x6yr, then that a total of $30M...Rangers can't come in and offer 8 years at $3.5 after the fact, to bring the total value closer at $28M....The 6M next year already fucked us. The Devil is in the details.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

Right, and therein lies the rub. An offer sheet can only be matched, so if someone offers Kakko $6.1 with a contract extension for the year after in the desk drawer for $4x6yr, then that a total of $30M...Rangers can't come in and offer 8 years at $3.5 after the fact, to bring the total value closer at $28M....The 6M next year already fucked us. The Devil is in the details.

...and you know I love the kid too!!  I'd still wave bye-bye to that one.  No chance!  They'd do more damage by matching that, in my eyes!

19 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm aware of what he was billed as and he hasn't shown what was promised. Im saying he hasn't progressed where im spending a significant part of this cap for a hope and a dream. No thanks. Want to win now with the team that has a solid core and promise. 

Let's face it though, no team is giving him 5+ mil because he was a #2 OA. Cmon, let's be real.

I absolutely think a bottom dwelling team would throw such an offersheet at him. Seattle,  Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit  and so on. Anyone with loads of capspace could and SHOULD  take a stab at a mishandled 2OA. Especially if the penalty isn't even a 1st rounder. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I absolutely think a bottom dwelling team would throw such an offersheet at him. Seattle,  Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit  and so on. Anyone with loads of capspace could and SHOULD  take a stab at a mishandled 2OA. Especially if the penalty isn't even a 1st rounder. 

It sure would solve some cap issues if they did!!