• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Signs 1-Year $6.1M Offer Sheet — What Would You Do?

BrooksBurner

What Would You Do: Kaapo Kakko signs a 1 yr 6.1M offer sheet  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Match
    • Take compensation (1st, 3rd)
  2. 2. What would the Rangers do?

• Match
    • Take compensation (1st, 3rd)

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Same. If someone wants to steal Kakko, go for it. That's reserved money down the line that can go to a Zegras or Caufield offer sheet. I'm highly doubtful GMs around the league start poaching, though. Kotkaniemi was partly a revenge play.

Yeah probably. But it only takes one and the NHL should have a better grasp on the possibility in the next bargaining agreement. I’d like to see compensation also be changed to include draft position of the guy being poached as well as the money offered. 

13 minutes ago, Keirik said:

No I get that how offer sheets work and how it plays out for the team that’s attempted to be poached from. I’m just using Zegras as an example. There will be other guys as well. 

Yeah, like Lafreniere, Miller, Schneider lol

We best not mess around too much, or at least have a good strategy around handling our upcoming RFAs. There might not be a reason to panic about it given how rare offer sheets have been, but I also don’t want the Rangers to be the first team that gets seized upon and opens those flood gates right at the beginning of our window.

9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

We best not mess around too much, or at least have a good strategy around handling our upcoming RFAs. There might not be a reason to panic about it given how rare offer sheets have been, but I also don’t want the Rangers to be the first team that gets seized upon and opens those flood gates right at the beginning of our window.

This is the sole reason why we just don’t see them. 
You try to poach a guy off another roster when you have the cap space for it, it gets reciprocated upon you when the situation is reversed.

14 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

This is the sole reason why we just don’t see them. 
You try to poach a guy off another roster when you have the cap space for it, it gets reciprocated upon you when the situation is reversed.

Yeah, true, but it feels like the Rangers might be sitting ducks here given cap situation and the sheer number of RFAs coming up. They won’t be in a position to take advantage of the reverse scenario for many years down the line.

I could be overthinking it. Everyone thought Tampa was going to get screwed with their RFAs and nothing really happened. Or at least nothing we heard about. Maybe teams did try to offer sheet a Point or Cirelli or Sergachev but just weren’t aggressive enough to get them to sign it.

Edited by rmc51

44 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I mean if the Rangers off sheet anyone then wait for offseason to reup any of the guys u listed above, it's on the organization. They can be reupped mid season. 

47 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Yeah, true, but it feels like the Rangers might be sitting ducks here given cap situation and the sheer number of RFAs coming up. They won’t be in a position to take advantage of the reverse scenario for many years down the line.

I could be overthinking it. Everyone thought Tampa was going to get screwed with their RFAs and nothing really happened. Or at least nothing we heard about. Maybe teams did try to offer sheet a Point or Cirelli or Sergachev but just weren’t aggressive enough to get them to sign it.

I wouldn’t worry about it because of the other reason why you don’t see many offer sheets:

The seemingly silent agreement of not to do that, that the old boys network of NHL GM’s abide by.

It doesn’t go over well when teams do it. So… teams don’t do it.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind, even if the Rangers offer sheetfed someone and we are worried of retribution, we wound be the 4th team doing it and I doubt we would be vilified much. Montreal did it with Aho, Carolina revenge did it, team x did it to us with Kakko, and we would be team 4 in the process.  

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Also keep in mind, even if the Rangers offer sheetfed someone and we are worried of retribution, we wound be the 4th team doing it and I doubt we would be vilified much. Montreal did it with Aho, Carolina revenge did it, team x did it to us with Kakko, and we would be team 4 in the process.  

You have the best typos. 

are you on a Samsung? I always get random shit on my s10e. This new iPhone is a bit better, but hard as fuck to edit anything 

• LMFAO 1

17 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I REALLY wanna say match on both sides but like, I don’t know if the team would and I can’t exactly justify it. 

for people hating on anyone signing an offer sheet, I disagree entirely. Guys are gonna want to get paid as much as they can in a career and I don’t fault them for it 

Cool. I prefer guys that want the cup. 

4 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

Personally, I'd keep him. I dunno know why anyone would be interested in picks at this point.

It's not a matter of being interested in picks. It's a matter of not rat fucking your cap to keep players at three times their value.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, josh said:

You have the best typos. 

are you on a Samsung? I always get random shit on my s10e. This new iPhone is a bit better, but hard as fuck to edit anything 

Either my iPad or my LG. It’s just that I type fast and big hands and press send before I ever read what I wrote lol

i think most of the time you can tell what I’m saying though so why bother fixing it. Yolo lol 

• VINNY! 1

36 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Either my iPad or my LG. It’s just that I type fast and big hands and press send before I ever read what I wrote lol

i think most of the time you can tell what I’m saying though so why bother fixing it. Yolo lol 

I have little girl fingers, type slow, and have the same issues.

Old platform id edit after posting. Now - fuck it. 

• LOL 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 hours ago, Keirik said:

I think the part we're not talking about is that offer sheets require signatures from players to actually work. We could say "oh they'll offer sheet so and so" but few if any organizations can match the grandeur of playing for the Rangers, and players know it. 

• Applause 1

2 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I mean, yeah, so do I. And Im sure every player does. But they also have every right to get paid as much as they can over a relatively short career so I don't think its fair to fault guys for getting their bag.

And that's fine but doesn't change that I'm not gonna match, nor should the Rangers. 

The assumption is that the player is signing a deal in a city he wants to play for, so then he should just go play for them. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

you may like the company you work for but if another company comes in and offers you double the salary your current company would, what do you do?

Not arguing the Rangers should match, just against this assumption that we should lambast any  player who signs an offer sheet. 

Who's getting lambasted? Saying if a player signed a deal with a club, he should go play on the club he signed with is "lamabasting"?