• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Signs 1-Year $6.1M Offer Sheet — What Would You Do?

BrooksBurner

What Would You Do: Kaapo Kakko signs a 1 yr 6.1M offer sheet  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Match
    • Take compensation (1st, 3rd)
  2. 2. What would the Rangers do?

• Match
    • Take compensation (1st, 3rd)

Phil
This post was recognized by Phil!

BrooksBurner was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

Let’s say Kakko signs a 1 year, $6.1M offer sheet, which I think is a very possible scenario. It just happened last year with Kotkaniemi. 6.1M is the max within the compensation threshold for a 1st and 3rd, before it becomes a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

What would you do?

What would the Rangers do?

Edited by rmc51
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to What Would You Do?: Kakko Signs 1 Yr 6.1m Offer Sheet
9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Follow up questions:

Does this have a reasonable chance of happening?

If so, would you rather pursue a trade before it has a chance of happening? Or chance it that it does not?

Don't know about the first question, but I'll answer the second.

No. If I want anything it's an unprotected chance at any of the top picks in next years draft. A trade can ensure the other team gets protection. Screw that. Look at the last two drafts and how the Sharks pick last year and the Senators pick the year before poorly ended up in another teams hands. If some middle of the pack team wants to throw an unprotected first at Kakko only to crash and burn, you gladly take that. Now if it's a team like the Avalanche making that offer then you're fucked.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

8 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Don't know about the first question, but I'll answer the second.

No. If I want anything it's an unprotected chance at any of the top picks in next years draft. A trade can ensure the other team gets protection. Screw that. Look at the last two drafts and how the Sharks pick last year and the Senators pick the year before poorly ended up in another teams hands. If some middle of the pack team wants to throw an unprotected first at Kakko only to crash and burn, you gladly take that.

Good point

If a player signs an offer sheet, they don’t want to be here. Fuck them.

If the rangers match, you are losing Lafreniere to an offer sheet the following season, and unable to re-sign Miller. 1st and a 3rd is a shit return, but it’s better than losing multiple guys (when Kakko isn’t doing much) 

Edited by josh

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Follow up questions:

Does this have a reasonable chance of happening?

If so, would you rather pursue a trade before it has a chance of happening? Or chance it that it does not?

All kidding aside, why in the world would somebody offer him a 6.1M contract?

53 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Same reason Canes did it for Kotkaniemi

Wasn't there a backstory there? 

13 minutes ago, josh said:

Other than Nolan Patrick, that will be the cheapest 2nd contract a top draft pick has signed in a decade. 

Okay, great them have at it. Nolan Patrick and Kakko certainly worth overpaying for what they've done. I would drive Kappo to the airport. Kid isn't worth half of that 6M for what he does. 

1 minute ago, siddious said:

But he’s not worth 6mil lol

Maybe not to you, but I bet several other organizations still see him as a #2 overall pick with #2 overall pick potential. If you’re a middle of the road squad that has some picks and cap space, it’s a worthwhile risk. 

Montreal will attack one or both, or maybe more. Columbus, too. 

6 minutes ago, josh said:

Maybe not to you, but I bet several other organizations still see him as a #2 overall pick with #2 overall pick potential. If you’re a middle of the road squad that has some picks and cap space, it’s a worthwhile risk. 

Montreal will attack one or both, or maybe more. Columbus, too. 

Yup. Columbus in particular. To @Drew a Penalty’s point though, for teams in rough shape like Montreal, losing an unprotected 1st is a big risk.

• Phil changed the title to Kakko Signs 1-Year $6.1M Offer Sheet — What Would You Do?
6 hours ago, Pete said:

I'd take the comp. Players who sign offer sheets with other teams don't want to play here.

The Rangers should also take the comp, with that kind of money you can buy an effective winger. 

This, and this.

I'm not paying Kakko nearly 3x his actual worth just because he was drafted. Enjoy Anaheim, or wherever.

• Applause 2