• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin: Vezina/Hart Frontrunner?

Phil

I counted 3 good chances last night...not including the goal.  Saves that he'd usually make anyway, and he did....rather easily too.

Vezina should be a slam-dunk....I'm seriously looking at the Hart trophy. 

By the way, that shot, even though it would've been after the clock expired was dead center of that empty net!  He's gonna score one day, and I'll probably pee my pants!!  ....again!  😉

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

There are lot of chatter in the media about Shesty and trophies. That's pretty much a good thing, the more the merrier, quote:

With 26 games remaining, Shesterkin could further supplant himself in hockey history as the third goalie to ever win the Ted Linsday, Vezina, and Hart Memorial trophy in the same season. Only Carey Price (2014-15) and Dominik Hasek (1996-97/1997-98) have accomplished this trifecta. So, sit back and enjoy the ride. We’re witnessing hockey history before our eyes; Igor’s time is now.

Source

9 minutes ago, Valriera said:

It's warranted at this point and they're all his to lose really. The guy has put together one of the most dominant seasons in memory. My biggest worry is it's not sustainable into the postseason. 

Nah, if it will be sustainable during the next 20+ games, I don't see why it would not be sustainable during the playoff. Yes, the game will get faster, more intense, everyone plays better, etc. Now, can you imagine Shesty playing better? 😉🤣

Just semi-kidding...

I know Price has gotten it in recent memory, but he NHL has seemed stingy in the past on giving the Hart to goaltenders. But, yeah, the media talking it up only helps his case, and he's certainly deserving of it. Watching him play sometimes, even when facing a ton of shots, he almost looks bored at times. It's like he has the league figured out already.

Seems like all the talk now is Matthews for the Hart from the Athletic to canadian reporters on twitter.   Seemed like just 3-4 days ago it was all Shesterkin.  

Wonder if Shesterkin is also going to lose Hart votes b/c of the Russia/Ukraine conflict.  

Here's a list of the "non-forwards" who've won the Hart in the last 52 years....I'm thinking this is predominantly an award for forwards, for the most part.  Igor has been exemplary this season, no doubt.  But I'd be ecstatic if he even wins the Vezina!

***Holy shit!  I just realized a defenseman has only won it one time since Bobby Orr had a crush on it!!  WOW!!  Hat's off to you Chris Pronger!!!

• 2021: Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers
  • 2020: Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton Oilers
  • 2019: Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay Lightning
  • 2018: Taylor Hall, New Jersey Devils
  • 2017: Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers
  • 2016: Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks
  • 2015: Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens
  • 2014: Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 2013: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
  • 2012: Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 2011: Corey Perry, Anaheim Ducks
  • 2010: Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
  • 2009: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
  • 2008: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
  • 2007: Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 2006: Joe Thornton, Boston Bruins/San Jose Sharks
  • 2004: Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning
  • 2003: Peter Forsberg, Colorado Avalanche
  • 2002: Jose Theodore, Montreal Canadiens
  • 2001: Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche
  • 2000: Chris Pronger, St. Louis Blues
  • 1999: Jaromir Jagr, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 1998: Dominik Hasek, Buffalo Sabres
  • 1997: Dominik Hasek, Buffalo Sabres
  • 1996: Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 1995: Eric Lindros, Philadelphia Flyers
  • 1994: Sergei Fedorov, Detroit Red Wings
  • 1993: Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 1992: Mark Messier, New York Rangers
  • 1991: Brett Hull, St. Louis Blues
  • 1990: Mark Messier, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1989: Wayne Gretzky, Los Angeles Kings
  • 1988: Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 1987: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1986: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1985: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1984: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1983: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1982: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1981: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1980: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
  • 1979: Bryan Trottier, New York Islanders
  • 1978: Guy Lafleur, Montreal Canadiens
  • 1977: Guy Lafleur, Montreal Canadiens
  • 1976: Bobby Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers
  • 1975: Bobby Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers
  • 1974: Phil Esposito, Boston Bruins
  • 1973: Bobby Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers
  • 1972: Bobby Orr, Boston Bruins
  • 1971: Bobby Orr, Boston Bruins
  • 1970: Bobby Orr, Boston Bruins
Edited by Ozzy

ESPN+ did an early voting unanimously of the Professional Hockey Writers Association voters. Here is the result for the Hart Trophy:

Leader: Auston Matthews, C, Toronto Maple Leafs
Finalists: Jonathan Huberdeau, LW, Florida Panthers; Igor Shesterkin, G, New York Rangers

The Rangers goalie is having one of the most dominant seasons we've ever seen. He has a .942 save percentage, 1.93 goals-against average and a 28-6-3 record, a.k.a. being responsible for 78% of the Rangers' wins this season through 56 games.

The Rangers' underlying numbers for most of the season were a horror show, ranking near the bottom of the league in 5-on-5 metrics like percentage shares of shot attempts and scoring chances. They've nudged up a little bit in recent weeks, but that doesn't do anything to dispel the notion that Shesterkin has carried them to a playoff seed this season -- despite some outstanding seasons from players like goal-scoring forward Chris Kreider and reigning Norris winner Adam Fox.

But that impact hasn't translated to Hart Trophy support. Shesterkin appeared atop just two of our voters' ballots for MVP. A few of our respondents noted that his work rate was a consideration. That's quickly become the focal point of the Shesterkin Hart Trophy debate: How many games does a goalie need to play in order to be considered for MVP honors?

Two questions will ultimately determine his worthiness for the Hart. First, if the enormity of his statistical achievements trumps those games-played concerns. His .942 save percentage would be the second highest in NHL history for goalies with at least 40 games played, behind Toronto's Hockey Hall of Famer Jacques Plante in 1970-71 (.944).

I mean, if you want a narrative, there's your narrative.

Results for the Vezina Tropy, GMs voted for this trophy:

Leader: Igor Shesterkin, New York Rangers
Finalists: Frederik Andersen, Carolina Hurricanes; Jacob Markstrom, Calgary Flames

Shesterkin was the only goalie named on our voters' ballots. Will Shesterkin be a unanimous winner of the Vezina Trophy?

The goalie that came closest to that feat recently was Carey Price in his Hart Trophy-winning 2014-15 season, when he led the league in save percentage (.933) and goals-against average (1.96). Even then, he earned 27 of 30 possible first-place votes.

But Shesterkin is a slam dunk to win the Vezina at this point. One more note on the Rangers' goalie: Occasionally, you can make the argument that a goalie is the product of his team's system. To prove this point, one just has to look at the backup goalie's numbers to see if they're getting similar results. Well, Alexandar Georgiev has a .897 save percentage with a 3.05 goals-against average.

So, in summary: Shesterkin for Vezina.

Source

It's nice to be voted for the Hart Trophy, even as a finalist, but that's unlikely to happen this season for Shesty. On the other hand, Vezina is his, provided he'll continue to play lights out for the next 20 or so games...

16 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I still think Hank should've won in 2012, I guess 3rd place for a goalie isn't too shabby though.

I knew he wasn’t going to win. Malkin carried that Penguins team with Crosby missing most of the season. It was Lundqvist at the height of his powers, but it was also Malkin at the height of his. That was the best I’ve seen either of them ever play. 

I think this year it’s a little more wide open. Shesterkin should cruise to the Vezina at this point. The MVP may be a bit more difficult. But if Edmonton continues to crash and burn, McDavid shouldn’t get it. So then it comes down to Matthews and Igor. And its not as if Matthews is short of talent up in Toronto as far as scoring goes. Whereas down here, Igor faces a ton of chances, and is a large part of why the Rangers are where they are. So, bias aside, he most definitely has a major opportunity here to grab both. He’s having a historic year, and though others stars are having good years, none have been head and shoulders above where you’d expect them to be. 

Just now, Morphinity said:

Afraid of what? He wouldn't be other-worldly for a 5 game stretch? 

Well that's the playoffs isn't it?

And they simply have no shot at all to win unless he is otherworldly. 

Edited by Pete