• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin: Vezina/Hart Frontrunner?

Phil

5 hours ago, Cr00zng said:

Jarry played 38 games, won 24, winning % of 0.632. Shesty on the other hand played 29 games, winning % of 0.759. Unless staying healthy and play the majority of the regular season games is a criteria, Jarry cannot hold a candle to Shasty...

If the staying healthy is part of the evaluation, Andersen with his winning % of 0.774 in 31 games runs circle around Jarry. Even Vasilevsky's winning % of 0.694 in 36 games would be a better finalist than Jarry in my view...

Nothing against Jarry, he's a good goalie and if he improves his record, he could be one of the finalists...

But it is a criteria to play games in the league. I'm not saying they are anywhere near the same level, but if Jarry is pushing 70 games pushing 45 wins or so he is going to get considered. Hr basically plays every game. Shesty doesn't.  I never said it’s the ONLY criteria but games played and work load certainly  is. So is strength and important to team. Carolina  is a stacked team. Andersen will be a consideration as well. There is no way however that Andersen “runs circles around” Jarry. None of them really run circles around each other in the top goalie stats. Shesty probably would and still can if Gallant starts him in 90% of games for the rest of this season. I’m hoping he does and he continues this night after night. 

Jarry 36 starts 

24-8-6 2.21 .925% 3 SO

Shesterkin  28 starts

22-5-2 2.10 .937%  3 SO

Andersen 30 starts

24-6-1 2.08 .927% 1 SO

they are all right there with each other. Obviously Shesty has the better save % and is a much better goalie than either. He’s also more important to our success than Andersen is. Maybe Jarry but Pitt doesn’t exactly have a stellar defense and they had Mallon and Crosby both miss decent time. 

Edited by Keirik

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

But it is a criteria to play games in the league. I'm not saying they are anywhere near the same level, but if Jarry is pushing 70 games pushing 45 wins or so he is going to get considered. Hr basically plays every game. Shesty doesn't.  I never said it’s the ONLY criteria but games played and work load certainly  is. So is strength and important to team. Carolina  is a stacked team. Andersen will be a consideration as well. There is no way however that Andersen “runs circles around” Jarry. None of them really run circles around each other in the top goalie stats. Shesty probably would and still can if Gallant starts him in 90% of games for the rest of this season. I’m hoping he does and he continues this night after night. 

Jarry 36 starts 

24-8-6 2.21 .925% 3 SO

Shesterkin  28 starts

22-5-2 2.10 .937%  3 SO

Andersen 30 starts

24-6-1 2.08 .927% 1 SO

they are all right there with each other. Obviously Shesty has the better save % and is a much better goalie than either. He’s also more important to our success than Andersen is. Maybe Jarry but Pitt doesn’t exactly have a stellar defense and they had Mallon and Crosby both miss decent time. 

Actually...

The Vezina Trophy is an annual award given "to the goalkeeper adjudged to be the best at this position" as voted by the general managers of all NHL clubs.

The voting is conducted at the end of the regular season; each individual voter ranks the top three candidates on a 5-3-1 points system. Three finalists are named and the trophy is handed out at the NHL Awards after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Source....

How the GMs evaluate the goalies it's up to them, there are no established criteria, like winning, saving, etc. percentage, since 1981. Nor were the goalies evaluated prior to that.

For me, the winning % had been criteria to rank them, where Anderson "runs circle around" everyone, including Shesty. Was this the right statistics to ranked them? Probably not, since the winning % is more of a team statistics, than goalie stat, despite Shesty "stealing games" all season long. One could also make an argument that the saving % is a team stats as well, or at the very least the Ds is certainly part of that stat.

I agree that Shesty is better than either one of them, but consider the partiality in this statement. I am certain that the Pittsburgh, or Carolina fans place their goalie ahead of Shesty too and cannot blame them.

If I recall correctly, the most games Shesty played in a full season is 45. Let's hope he'll be in 18 - 20 games in the remaining season...

36 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

Actually...

Source....

How the GMs evaluate the goalies it's up to them, there are no established criteria, like winning, saving, etc. percentage, since 1981. Nor were the goalies evaluated prior to that.

For me, the winning % had been criteria to rank them, where Anderson "runs circle around" everyone, including Shesty. Was this the right statistics to ranked them? Probably not, since the winning % is more of a team statistics, than goalie stat, despite Shesty "stealing games" all season long. One could also make an argument that the saving % is a team stats as well, or at the very least the Ds is certainly part of that stat.

I agree that Shesty is better than either one of them, but consider the partiality in this statement. I am certain that the Pittsburgh, or Carolina fans place their goalie ahead of Shesty too and cannot blame them.

If I recall correctly, the most games Shesty played in a full season is 45. Let's hope he'll be in 18 - 20 games in the remaining season...

Come on. You're taking what in saying way too literal. It's not the Jennings. I'm not saying that. I don't need a source on what's qualified for awards like a vezina or Norris or hart. We all know that. 

However, those responsible for voting do take a totality and factor in statistics when making their decision. I thought that was pretty obvious. 

16 hours ago, Keirik said:

Come on. You're taking what in saying way too literal. It's not the Jennings. I'm not saying that. I don't need a source on what's qualified for awards like a vezina or Norris or hart. We all know that. 

However, those responsible for voting do take a totality and factor in statistics when making their decision. I thought that was pretty obvious. 

Well, not everyone... While I knew about the awards, like Vezina, but didn't know about the process of awarding the trophy. It was news for me that the GMs vote for the winner and was surprised to see, that the evaluation criteria isn't well defined. In addition, some of the sites question the GMs voting, like this influenced my view.

11 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

Well, not everyone... While I knew about the awards, like Vezina, but didn't know about the process of awarding the trophy. It was news for me that the GMs vote for the winner and was surprised to see, that the evaluation criteria isn't well defined. In addition, some of the sites question the GMs voting, like this influenced my view.

Sorry then. I just assumed it was common knowledge. There is the same problem often with the Hart trophy and even the Norris.  In the end, they go off of statistic’s unofficially with subjective opinions sprinkled in. 

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Sorry then. I just assumed it was common knowledge. There is the same problem often with the Hart trophy and even the Norris.  In the end, they go off of statistic’s unofficially with subjective opinions sprinkled in. 

No need to be sorry, my fault; you guy did teach me more about hockey, stats, etc., that I've ever knew. It's much appreciated....👍

• Cheers 1

At this point, he’s the one making the most noise across the NHL IMO. If you listen to podcasts or even NHL Network, a lot of the talk is about Shesterkin and not only the Vezina, but the Hart. No disrespect to other contenders who are having amazing years (like Andersen), but you’re not hearing as much noise around him as you do around Igor. At this point, barring any unforeseen injuries or a drop off, I do feel it’s his award to lose. Igors also doing this behind a worse team as far team defense goes than any of his competitors.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

[Feb 7]: Igor Shesterkin has completely taken over the Vezina Trophy race. Shesterkin’s odds have improved from +525 to +188, and is now the favorite to win the league’s best goaltender.

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nhl/vezina-trophy-odds/

2022 Vezina Trophy Odds

Goalie Odds
Igor Shesterkin (Rangers) +175
Andrei Vasilevskiy (Lightning) +550
Frederik Andersen (Hurricanes) +650
Jack Campbell (Maple Leafs) +800
Juuse Saros (Predators) +1200
Sergei Bobrovsky (Panthers) +1500
Jacob Markstrom (Flames) +2000
Tristan Jarry (Penguins) +2500
Jonathan Quick (Kings) +2900
Ville Husso (Blues) +2900
John Gibson (Ducks) +3000
Ilya Sorokin (Islanders) +3400
Connor Hellebuyck (Jets) +3500
Darcy Kuemper (Avalanche) +4000
Robin Lehner (Golden Knights) +4000
Thatcher Demko (Canucks) +5000
Marc-Andre Fleury (Blackhawks) +5000
Cam Talbot (Wild) +5000
Alex Nedeljkovic (Red Wings) +5000
Elvis Merzlikins (Blue Jackets)

+5000

Edited by VegasRanger
  • Like 1

It’s the hart trophy now and, in my opinion, I don’t know that there’s another player who deserves that. We always talk about the “in it to win it” clause and surely, with any one of those other goalies, the rangers would not even be in it or would be fighting for it. Is there anyone else who claims that? Nobody in the east, MAYBE mcdavid or draisaitl but shesty is at least up there with those guys for single most valuable. Numbers don’t lie

• Keeps it 100 1

He's up to a.939 SV%. Tim Thomas hold the record for highest SV% with 50+ starts at .938 in 57 GP. Dominik Hasek is next with a .937 in 66.

I'm assuming Shesterkin starts another 25 games. There's tough competition down the stretch, but he might put up the best save percentage we've seen from a full on starter.

I hope he gets the recognition. He should be a hart finalist, and a vexina contender. But we know how these people vote. It’s not about a season, but everything else you’ve done, too. I think we got lucky with Fox winning the Norris. It even took Lundqvist way too long to win the vezina. 
hart McDavid or ovechkin

norris Hedman Josi

vezina vasy and brodeur 

For some reason, the voters can only look at one guy that doesn’t play in their hometown, and I hope it’s Shesterkin this season.