• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin: Vezina/Hart Frontrunner?

Phil

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Teams need great goalies to win. Somehow we have had back to back phenomenal backstops. This one specifically on an amazingly team friendly contract. Cheers and congrats Shesty!

For 2 more years,  you take out Price, Vasilevskiy, and Bobrovsky who contracts are mind-boggling, Shesty's contract is pretty much on the high end.  When Shesty's contract expires when he's 29, hopefully he'll have the resume of Vasilevskiy to warrant a big contract. 

Vasilevskiys contract is probably the only contract that may warrant a $9.5 million cap hit since he's a winner, but lets revisit it again in about 3 years.  

I know Shesty has played in the KHL for a while, but damn he's already 26 and Vasilevskiy is 27 and has 2 Cups, played in 3 SCF already....

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

For 2 more years,  you take out Price, Vasilevskiy, and Bobrovsky who contracts are mind-boggling, Shesty's contract is pretty much on the high end.  When Shesty's contract expires when he's 29, hopefully he'll have the resume of Vasilevskiy to warrant a big contract. 

Vasilevskiys contract is probably the only contract that may warrant a $9.5 million cap hit since he's a winner, but lets revisit it again in about 3 years.  

I know Shesty has played in the KHL for a while, but damn he's already 26 and Vasilevskiy is 27 and has 2 Cups, played in 3 SCF already....

I think playing in the KHL for as long as he did really helped him. But, I still can't help but think if he came over here with the Rangers about 2-3 years sooner. lol As you said he's already 26. I still think we can get a great decade or so out of him, though. 😏

• Believe 1

34 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think playing in the KHL for as long as he did really helped him. But, I still can't help but think if he came over here with the Rangers about 2-3 years sooner. lol As you said he's already 26. I still think we can get a great decade or so out of him, though. 😏

Hank was still here...

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I realize that. I meant it would have been nice if he was the started two or three years sooner since Lundqivst hadn't been great for the last two or three years of his career.

They were rebuilding and the D corps was trash.  Not a great situation for a rookie goalkeeper.

3 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

They were rebuilding and the D corps was trash.  Not a great situation for a rookie goalkeeper.

They still kind of are, and the defense wasn't that great for a lot of the season anyway. He would have been fine.

Edited by Sharpshooter