• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin: Vezina/Hart Frontrunner?

Phil

I think he’s front runner for sure. If not for a few injuries, it’s possible he could be sniffing 30 wins already. I think the only challenge he’ll face is his durability. Coming down the stretch, I’d expect (and certainly hope) he’ll get ridden a little more than we’ve seen. I’m not saying to burn him out but the reason you play Georgiev as often as you did when Shesterkin was healthy was to give him a rest, and you give him a rest so come the stretch run he still has a lot left in the tank, which he surely does.

Provided he doesn’t suffer any catastrophic injury, I do think he’ll get it. We have 35 games left. He may be staring at a 40 win season if the team keeps performing well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Sod16 said:

The narrative that the Rangers are not that good but have had their record boosted by the goaltender is so pervasive in the hockey media that it will create inertia for Sheshty winning the Vezina.

There's usually anti Rangers bias in the media anyway, but this season it's been overkill. They're just totally harping on the fact that the Rangers aren't very good and it's just Igor. I won't deny that he's been a huge factor and a big part of the success, but you'd think this team is a bunch of absolute nobodies. They have several point per game players on their team, Adam Fox, and a young core on defense. They are an up and coming team. There were years during the Lundqvist Era where they weren't that great and were primarily led by him, and even then the media really didn't harp on it as much as they've done with Shesterkin and this year's Rangers team.

17 hours ago, Sod16 said:

The narrative that the Rangers are not that good but have had their record boosted by the goaltender is so pervasive in the hockey media that it will create inertia for Sheshty winning the Vezina.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

There's usually anti Rangers bias in the media anyway, but this season it's been overkill. They're just totally harping on the fact that the Rangers aren't very good and it's just Igor. I won't deny that he's been a huge factor and a big part of the success, but you'd think this team is a bunch of absolute nobodies. They have several point per game players on their team, Adam Fox, and a young core on defense. They are an up and coming team. There were years during the Lundqvist Era where they weren't that great and were primarily led by him, and even then the media really didn't harp on it as much as they've done with Shesterkin and this year's Rangers team.

Lol stop. There is no bias or narrative. People are simply looking at the numbers.

• Keeps it 100 1

What troubles me most is the spelling of "offense" and "defense" in that tweet!!  LOL

Seriously though, those shortcomings listed are really where it's at for us.  We gotta shore up that kind of crap the rest of the 2nd half.  No Shit!!!  Being 31st in anything listed up there is REALLY testing your goalie.  I watch mostly for turnovers in the D Zone and Neutral zone more than anything, and we have NOT been good with those.  I didn't even know we were ranked so low in these!!  Shit!!!

...better check Sheterkin's tee shirt under that jersey!!  It may very well have an "S" on it!!!

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What troubles me most is the spelling of "offense" and "defense" in that tweet!!  LOL

Seriously though, those shortcomings listed are really where it's at for us.  We gotta shore up that kind of crap the rest of the 2nd half.  No Shit!!!  Being 31st in anything listed up there is REALLY testing your goalie.  I watch mostly for turnovers in the D Zone and Neutral zone more than anything, and we have NOT been good with those.  I didn't even know we were ranked so low in these!!  Shit!!!

...better check Sheterkin's tee shirt under that jersey!!  It may very well have an "S" on it!!!

And that's really the right way to approach this discussion. It's clear where improvements are needed. The stats don't lie, the Rangers hover between middle of the pack in most categories, and pretty bad in 5v5 specific categories. It's just something that needs to be improved, so you really can't fault the commentary around "The team is not as good as the record, and Shesterkin is their difference maker."

It's quite an accurate statement.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

And that's really the right way to approach this discussion. It's clear where improvements are needed. The stats don't lie, the Rangers hover between middle of the pack in most categories, and pretty bad in 5v5 specific categories. It's just something that needs to be improved, so you really can't fault the commentary around "The team is not as good as the record, and Shesterkin is their difference maker."

It's quite an accurate statement.

It's like..."we see it", just how much we see it is the issue...yeah Pete!  I just usually eyeball turnovers and shit like that, but these stats identify where we're misfiring.

Again, I think it's something that can and will be resolved, or at least mitigated somewhat with a few smart moves/trades.

I never said there weren't legit flaws. I still think there's a narrative, though. Like, I still think they're a little too negative about the Rangers in certain places. Like on ESPN they failed to mention that Adam Fox was hurt and they were still finding ways to win, until that woman brought it up and they didn't even respond to it. Again, they are pointing out the flaws and there are plenty of them, but just going out of their way to be a little too negative, I think.

They do need to get better five on five and improve their bottom six depth, but they're not far off regardless. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

I honestly think Jarry probably gets the vezina just because by seasons end, the wins might be much higher than Shesty. Unless Shesty really start playing more often. 

Jarry played 38 games, won 24, winning % of 0.632. Shesty on the other hand played 29 games, winning % of 0.759. Unless staying healthy and play the majority of the regular season games is a criteria, Jarry cannot hold a candle to Shasty...

If the staying healthy is part of the evaluation, Andersen with his winning % of 0.774 in 31 games runs circle around Jarry. Even Vasilevsky's winning % of 0.694 in 36 games would be a better finalist than Jarry in my view...

Nothing against Jarry, he's a good goalie and if he improves his record, he could be one of the finalists...

Edited by Cr00zng