• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

Okay, unpopular opinion here, but everything closes up in the playoffs. Mika and Bread were cooking earlier this month but have gone silent. Tarasenko hasn't added much. He primarily scores off the rush anyway, which is also shut down significantly in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Igor is off, we're continuing to give up 3-4 goals a game, and we're in the middle of a 3-game skid with some eminently winnable games (like last night) in there. We're also starting Mikkola.

I know it's a lot of "well he decides where he goes and we can make it work cap wise so why the hell not" mentality primarily, but uh, serious question here: what need does Kane solve, exactly? Remember when we got manhandled by the Caps and spent a summer getting tougher, and now the only remnant of that is Goodrow? What happened to that? Where's the defense been? 

This kind of reeks to me of adding Jagr to a roster that had Bure, Kovalev, etc. without any real plan in place. I know Kravtsov wants out, but trading him for a 3 month rental (when we already dealt a 1st rounder for a 3 month rental who was, ostensibly, supposed to generate more offense) and potentially including a 2nd rounder and/or Zac Jones just seems like poor asset management. 

I guess the answer to my above question is puck possession solves a lot of problems and Kane's good at that? 

Gotta be honest, I don't really get it. 

Edited by Ranger Lothbrok
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 minute ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

Okay, unpopular opinion here, but everything closes up in the playoffs. Mika and Bread were cooking earlier this month but have gone silent. Tarasenko hasn't add much. He primarily scores off the rush anyway, which is also shut down significantly in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Igor is off, we're continuing to give up 3-4 goals a game, and we're in the middle of a 3-game skid with some eminently winnable games (like last night) in there. We're also starting Mikkola.

I know it's a lot of "well he decides where he goes and we can make it work cap wise so why the hell not" mentality primarily, but uh, serious question here: what need does Kane solve, exactly? Remember when we got manhandled by the Caps and spent a summer getting tougher, and now the only remnant of that is Goodrow? What happened to that? Where's the defense been? 

This kind of reeks to me of adding Jagr to a roster that had Bure, Kovalev, etc. without any real plan in place. I know Kravtsov wants out, but trading him for a 3 month rental (when we already dealt a 1st rounder for a 3 month rental who was, ostensibly, supposed to generate more offense) and potentially including a 2nd rounder and/or Zac Jones just seems like poor asset management. 

I guess the answer to my above question is puck possession solves a lot of problems and Kane's good at that? 

Gotta be honest, I don't really get it. 

I second this mentality. Feels like we are just putting together an all star team in hopes they gel and work together. I don't love it either. Will this team be more than the sum of it's parts? We shall see.

I was inclined for a versatile player who can play up and down the lineup but can slot into a shut down role. Our top 9 is pretty damn good or at least has been recently.

We are always in on the shiny toy that has lost some sheen because they are in decline. Gretzky, Lindross, Lafontaine, Jagr worked out thankfully but the common theme is none of those teams won cups. 

I guess if we aren't giving up much of anything then I'm okay with it but I just hate to waste team chemistry on trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

On paper getting Kane makes the Rangers the best team in the league.

But can they gel and make it work is another question.

Lots of teams in the past have made deadline deals that should've made them the team to beat only to have it not work out.

If you can get Kane for 2 guys who probably will never play here and 2 non first round picks you have to make that trade though.

• Like 2

Look...in theory, this roster +Pat Kane is the single most talented roster we will ever have. Go back to 1926. Go forward to 2050. The chances that the roster you pull is more talented than this team + Kane is literally zero.

I'm not excited because this is shiny new toy. I'm not excited because I love Patrick Kane. I'm excited because this is a move that a team going all in and gunning for the Cup right now, this year - this is the kind of move that team makes. And goddamnit, that feels good.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 3

2 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Look...in theory, this roster +Pat Kane is the single most talented roster we will ever have. Go back to 1926. Go forward to 2050. The chances that the roster you pull is more talented than this team + Kane is literally zero.

I'm not excited because this is shiny new toy. I'm not excited because I love Patrick Kane. I'm excited because this is a move that a team going all in and gunning for the Cup right now, this year - this is the kind of move that team makes. And goddamnit, that feels good.

...I'm buying you a beer right now!

• Cheers 1

Absolutely. I'll be pumped like everyone else here when it goes down, but the concerns I mentioned are legitimate. I think they can gel just fine, it's more the last two I'm worried about. They're going to need to get better or else it's going to be an issue in the playoffs when things tighten up. Everyone knows how to play the Rangers now, that they're basically all offense all the time and everything else has been suspect.

42 minutes ago, Phil said:

They don't need to be. Tomorrow is the "deadline" for that. They have time, so they're probably using it to see if they can work a trade first.

How's this make sense? What's the big deal if Chicago takes back Loosey and Kravy, or if we waive them? None of this delay makes any sense at all. It should be clear with Chicago by now, can't imagine the Rangers come out of this with Kravstov...At least waive Loosey. They are literally burning cap for no reason.

• Applause 1

There's so many different thoughts on when is the soonest they can make the money work. Vince posted earlier it couldn't happen until next week and Gallant seems to confirm here it's not happening in the next day or two as well. Craziness.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

How's this make sense? What's the big deal if Chicago takes back Loosey and Kravy, or if we waive them? None of this delay makes any sense at all. It should be clear with Chicago by now, can't imagine the Rangers come out of this with Kravstov...At least waive Loosey. They are literally burning cap for no reason.

I have no idea why they're doing it this way. I'd never have claimed Lysol in the first place, so I would have waived him a long time ago, but technically/presumably, they're burning cap they can burn while they work a separate trade for Kravtsov, would be my guess. I feel like Gorton is the only GM/exec in the league who gives a shit about him, so they're probably asking MTL to give them whatever their best offer is, then they can just dump Lysol or trade him separately before the final deadline tomorrow to place him on waivers where they lose him for nothing (if he's even claimed).

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I have no idea why they're doing it this way. I'd never have claimed Lysol in the first place, so I would have waived him a long time ago, but technically/presumably, they're burning cap they can burn while they work a separate trade for Kravtsov, would be my guess. I feel like Gorton is the only GM/exec in the league who gives a shit about him, so they're probably asking MTL to give them whatever their best offer is, then they can just dump Lysol or trade him separately before the final deadline tomorrow to place him on waivers where they lose him for nothing (if he's even claimed).

I honestly wonder if it's a priority thing. Getting Kravtsov off is more of a priority because he makes more, and therefore getting rid of him first would accrue more cap?

Either that, or....can you trade a waived player? Wonder if there's something close enough that they opted to keep him off waivers?

I get the concerns from people about building a “super team” and in short order.

But, Kane is coming here (presumably) as someone with known chemistry with Panarin and as someone who, like Tarasenko, is an awful lot to handle in a playoff series. Kane is one of the best clutch performers of this generation. And Tarasenko has been a goal scoring freak come the postseason.

• VINNY! 1
  • Believe 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Why wouldnt Chicago just take Kravtsov back?  He would be a low risk/high reward type of player for them.  They're going to suck for a few years and he will get the ice time that he wants.  Is Kravtsov's stock so low that Chicago doesnt even want him? 

8 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Why wouldnt Chicago just take Kravtsov back?  He would be a low risk/high reward type of player for them.  They're going to suck for a few years and he will get the ice time that he wants.  Is Kravtsov's stock so low that Chicago doesnt even want him? 

I have no idea. The only thing I can say is that I believe it was Staple who mentioned a little while back before the Tarasenko deal went down that he was told CHI had little to no interest in him. The talk then was that they wanted one of the Kid Line players in exchange for Kane.

We've also heard from Friedman, if my memory serves, that the league largely sees him as a KHL defection threat, which makes complete sense given it's exactly what he did last season, so yeah, his stock may be so low that even CHI doesn't want him. It's why I keep coming back to JG/MTL given he drafted him and how low expectations are for that entire roster.

Just now, Phil said:

I have no idea. The only thing I can say is that I believe it was Staple who mentioned a little while back before the Tarasenko deal went down that he was told CHI had little to no interest in him. The talk then was that they wanted one of the Kid Line players in exchange for Kane.

We've also heard from Friedman, if my memory serves, that the league largely sees him as a KHL defection threat, which makes complete sense given it's exactly what he did last season, so yeah, his stock may be so low that even CHI doesn't want him. It's why I keep coming back to JG/MTL given he drafted him and how low expectations are for that entire roster.

but it should be no sweat off chicago's back if they take Kravtsovs back even if he bolts.  They're doing Kane a solid.  

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

but it should be no sweat off chicago's back if they take Kravtsovs back even if he bolts.  They're doing Kane a solid.  

I mean, technically, no, but they're going to want something to hang their hats on. There's only so many "just take this shit and throw it away later" you can take. They're going to want something in the deal that they can parlay into potential future success.

I'd imagine they're really only interested in one of Krav or Lysol in this case, as the "throw in," with whatever else going their way stuff they actually have interest in.

But again, I'm gleaning all of this based on the deluge of "information" we're getting, none of which is very detailed at all. It's total conjecture.

• Bullseye 1

1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

I dunno about that one, sure on the solid but you would be failing miserably if you didn't get something back in return. 

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

But if Kane is strong arming CHI, then we can just tell them they're taking back VK and they can waive him if they want to. What's the alternative? He's a throw-in at this point.