• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Remains to Improve to Be a Legit Cup Contender This Year?

Shesty Cola

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Holy shit man!!  I didn't wanna say it because I thought I'd get beer spilled on my head at the next meet-up, but Staal might be a really good fit for the rest of this season.

You probably will, but the idea for your 6D is "stable, smart, simple" - Staal can do that.

• VINNY! 1

44 minutes ago, Phil said:

Might even be able to kill two birds with one stone if they acquire a C/RW like Pavelski or Miller.

Double dip with Vanny: Miller and Halak. Send them Georgiev, Kravstov, one of our many young Dmen on the farm, another forward and a pick. Don't know if it will work cap wise though or if we need them to pick up part of the cost or add salary going back.

Edited by Shesty Cola

3 minutes ago, Shesty Cola said:

Double dip with Vanny: Miller and Halak. Send them Georgiev, Kravstov, one of our many young Dmen on the farm, another forward and a pick. Don't know if it will work cap wise though or if we need them to pick up part of the cost or add salary going back.

It'll work capwise; Geo and Halak are a wash and assuming no changes we'll finish the season with ~7m in space.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, josh said:

Ok, so Miller, Staal and Talbot.

Believe it or not, I think even those 3 would get some serious gas mileage in the playoffs!!!  I'm sure some other names will surface as well as we get closer to the deadline too, Josh.

While a face off guy is part of the need, I don't mess with the Chytil line right now. 

The affordable target and a solid fit as a straight up winger is Reilly Smith. 

But the guy that fills multiple needs and potentially works as a guy that can be moved all around the lineup, as well as being able to play wing, but take draws (leaving the Chytil line alone) is JT Miller. The cost in trade just doesn't make sense to me as he'd be a year and a half rental. 

To get him it's going to take one of Jones, Schneider or Lundkvist, along with Kravstov . That's a bit much. Plus, supposed attitude problem... 2 teams already dumping him since he left NY. 

I'm interested in Pavelski on the cheap. But Miller has more in the tank. 

Can I nicely ask why anyone thinks Fluery is a fit?  Salary alone and cost in trade would be a turn off, nevermind the impact it would have on Shestyorkin. Kids on fire and you wanna bring in competition? 

I go with Kinkaid, or try to get Halak, Reimer or Craig Anderson.  Sticktly back up material.  Georgiev is addition by subtraction.  

I'm still holding out hope Hajek gets ATLEAST a look before they make a trade for a vet. If such a trade is made, are they looking to upgrade Nemeth or Lundkvist? Neither have been much to speak of so far. 

Edited by The Dude

2 hours ago, Phil said:

There's a combo approach to be had with multiple teams:

Halak + Miller or Horvat
Holtby + Pavelski
Fleury + Dylan Strome or Khaira

I want to go for it this year and next so Miller+Halak are the 2 I likely go for. The other name out there I love is Tarasenko if we want to add scoring punch and maybe open up some more ice for Zib to do his thing. How we fit the contract for next year I don't know but would love another sniper on the team.

I really do think the bones of the team are strong. As Phil said, it's about experience now. Most of these guys haven't even played an 82 game season, let alone made a deep run in the playoffs. IMO, they're a ways off from winning, but not because the team is lacking all that much, more so because they haven't even been to the dance. There are going to be lows this season. I'm curious to see how they handle those. I'm curious to see what happens when they have a COVID outbreak. Or a serious injury to a top player. 

These are all things that will make or break and open the door for Kakko or Lafreniere to truly step up.

Shesty is talking about being nervous after 4 days off, lol. What's he gonna feel like game 1 on the road in some raucous environment? 

3 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I really do think the bones of the team are strong. As Phil said, it's about experience now. Most of these guys haven't even played an 82 game season, let alone made a deep run in the playoffs. IMO, they're a ways off from winning, but not because the team is lacking all that much, more so because they haven't even been to the dance. There are going to be lows this season. I'm curious to see how they handle those. I'm curious to see what happens when they have a COVID outbreak. Or a serious injury to a top player. 

These are all things that will make or break and open the door for Kakko or Lafreniere to truly step up.

Shesty is talking about being nervous after 4 days off, lol. What's he gonna feel like game 1 on the road in some raucous environment? 

He may crap himself again. 

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

While a face off guy is part of the need, I don't mess with the Chytil line right now. 

The affordable target and a solid fit as a straight up winger is Reilly Smith. 

But the guy that fills multiple needs and potentially works as a guy that can be moved all around the lineup, as well as being able to play wing, but take draws (leaving the Chytil line alone) is JT Miller. The cost in trade just doesn't make sense to me as he'd be a year and a half rental. 

To get him it's going to take one of Jones, Schneider or Lundkvist, along with Kravstov . That's a bit much. Plus, supposed attitude problem... 2 teams already dumping him since he left NY. 

I'm interested in Pavelski on the cheap. But Miller has more in the tank. 

Can I nicely ask why anyone thinks Fluery is a fit?  Salary alone and cost in trade would be a turn off, nevermind the impact it would have on Shestyorkin. Kids on fire and you wanna bring in competition? 

I go with Kinkaid, or try to get Halak, Reimer or Craig Anderson.  Sticktly back up material.  Georgiev is addition by subtraction.  

I'm still holding out hope Hajek gets ATLEAST a look before they make a trade for a vet. If such a trade is made, are they looking to upgrade Nemeth or Lundkvist? Neither have been much to speak of so far. 

1. He's a winner

2. He's been in a backup role

3. What happens if Shesterkin goes down

4. Shesterkin has never played more than 39 games in a season, so he can tire out 

5. Experience

6. He's an UFA after this season

A suitable backup has to be #1 priority here. Sure, we have gaps elsewhere in the roster where improvement would be nice, but our bus count is currently 1 in net, and while Shesterkin's play this year will be impossible to replace if he gets injured, we are still competitive with a competent backup in net. We are in deep trouble if that person is Georgiev right now. 

Edited by Valriera
  • VINNY! 1

I would think this is more of a priority than a JT MIller, or 7th defenseman right now.  I'd feel a lot better if we nailed down a solid, veteran, soon-to-be-UFA back up goalie with playoff experience.

....sooner than later I hope.  Pete's right.  This guy goes down, and we can kiss this season ADIOS with "Mr. Swiss Cheese" in goal for us.

Edit:  Hey Val!  We both posted at the same time with the same thought!!   Good call, my brother!!!  😃

Edited by Ozzy

20 hours ago, Phil said:

There's a combo approach to be had with multiple teams:

Halak + Miller or Horvat
Holtby + Pavelski
Fleury + Dylan Strome or Khaira

I always liked Khaira but I don't think he helps down the middle at all.  He certainly makes a team tougher to play against though.

May not be a popular opinion but I dont want to see them go out and get some grizzled vet for a high pick or a prospect when this team in all reality is probably a good 2-3 years from competing for real. We all know how it goes. Takes time to make the playoffs. Then it takes time to learn how to play in the playoffs. 

I'd be okay with someone who;

-Doesnt take time away from any of the "kids"

-Comes really cheap

-Fits a long term role that doesnt change either of the previous two points OR is a goner at the end of this season which is okay because he was so cheap

Even on defense, Nemeth is a place holder for Schneider (wouldnt be surprised if Nemeth is #7 next season). I think Jones vs. Lundkvist is going to play out and one or the other is gone eventually they are redundant players. Would suck to lose Jones for a 38 year old center for 15 games.

I think this is an instance where patience and development should take the fore-front. We aint there yet.

• VINNY! 2

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I always liked Khaira but I don't think he helps down the middle at all.  He certainly makes a team tougher to play against though.

Would be a low-end acquisition. Good fourth-liner and penalty-killer.