• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Remains to Improve to Be a Legit Cup Contender This Year?

Shesty Cola

For me its the scoring going up one more notch (Zibanejad finding his groove, maybe Laffy finally becoming a player, and/or adding a top 6 wing) and not giving up so many odd man rushes.

Gallant had many role players exceeding expectations in Vegas and the team playing a very well rounded game. That certainly looks like what he is establishing here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 4
  • VINNY! 1

4 minutes ago, Shesty Cola said:

For me its the scoring going up one more notch (Zibanejad finding his groove, maybe Laffy finally becoming a player, and/or adding a top 6 wing) and not giving up so many odd man rushes.

Gallant had many role players exceeding expectations in Vegas and the team playing a very well rounded game. That certainly looks like what he is establishing here.

Welcome to the site bro. Great place to post Rangers content 

I would say first and foremost is seeing if Strome resigns becusse if he does, we only have room for rentals. 

We need a better backup, could use another faceoff guy and a rental top 6 who hopefully also is a faceoff guy to kill two birds with one stone. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

13 minutes ago, Shesty Cola said:

Welcome to the site 😀

Much of what you mentioned definitely needs to happen. But I also think they need another RW that can slot into the top 6. I’m still not all that confident in the nemeth/Lundkvist pairing so maybe another 6D too? 

1 minute ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Trading Panarin

Please ignore our resident imbecile. 😬

• Keeps it 100 1

Experience.

Barring anything unforeseen, they will get their first real glimpse of playoff style hockey this year, and intense games in a stretch run. Hopefully they find their way into the actual playoffs and get to experience that atmosphere and get that actual experience too.

But all in all, to win and to understand how to win, you need to atleast dip your toes in the water and get a feel for what the competition and level of play is like. Once they get that taste, I think they’ll thrive. I think playing in some tightly contested games down the stretch and coming up on the winning end of them will do a ton. It’s a young team that rises and falls with its confidence level. This group playing confident hockey can skate with any team in this league in a 7-game series IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Experience.

This group playing confident hockey can skate with any team in this league in a 7-game series IMO.

Welcome Shesty Cola and fasten your seat belt on this bus! LOL

I'm seeing a team that is gaining experience and with that, confidence. I'll place a bet on a 7-game series as long as Igor is in net. Need? Someone capable of consistent face-off wins and and D-man upgrade. Would I like another scorer? Of course. We're on pace to let the current group continue to gel and learn to play as a group. Trade deadline rentals will fill out the holes IMO.

32 minutes ago, Shesty Cola said:

Welcome aboard man!!!  In case you haven't seen already, this is "THE PLACE TO BE" for anything Rangers.   Pretty cool bunch up here!

I'd want a solid backup goalie, and a grizzled veteran 3C with playoff experience, instead of Chytil, that can raise our faceoff win %.

Other than that, I think this team just needs time for kids to mature, grow and keep learning.  The trajectory of this team is headed straight up, and I'm really loving every second of it so far this season!

Anyone can beat anyone in a 7-game series. The playoffs are a different animal where the ice and space shrink more and more each shift. 

Like I said earlier, this is a team that relies on its confidence level. As a group, even back to when Quinn was here, when things were going well, they would fly and they would look good doing it. But the second things went off kilter, it seemed like it took them a little bit to regain their swagger. 

If this team were to begin a 7-game series tomorrow against a team like, say, Carolina that can really suffocate them, I’m not sure they would have the experience or know-how to dig themselves out. That could change in a few months where this group understands even more how to win and what it takes to win against stingy defensive teams like that.

• VINNY! 1

Hard to know because this team has never made it. They're looking like they'll make it this year and you can ask me this question again when they lose in the first or second round, which would be totally fine. What I don't want is another montreal situation, where we surprise into the finals but clearly are outclassed by a hardened playoff team. Let's get our first and second round experience then re-evaluate. 

15 minutes ago, Shesty Cola said:

Hypotethetically speaking, assuming a plateau of where we are at right now.... How good do you think this team is right now compared to the top teams? Can we beat any/all of them in a playoff series? Still a bit short?

We're better...How much better?  We'll find out.  As with most teams that are growing into contenders, I still think there's a level of "scar tissue" needed before they reach the heights we're looking at.  But this team is being created in the image to be one that makes a run, or at least makes some noise, winning a series or maybe 2.

I mean, it's possible that a team can come in and go "zero to hero", I just feel it's more the exception than the rule.

• VINNY! 1

Same as the offseason, someone who checks a bunch of boxes: big, physical, center, wins draws, kills penalty, leadership, can move up/down/around lineup, tough to play against. 

They need 1 more guy like that in the top 9.

Thanks for the replies....We added some key vet guys I think in the offseason and Zibs and Panarin have been around the block a few times. Granted there is some youth on the team but I like their chances to make some noise and even win and series or 2. I mean if a young Shesty continues to play at Vezina level thats like having an top ace Starting Pitcher in the playoffs. Just huge.

Lets not got ahead of ourselves but I love how this team is building and gelling so far under Gallant. Moving on from Quinn was obviously the right move here 

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

A reliable top/middle-six RW and a more reliable backup. After that, it's all about getting to the playoffs and capitalizing.

The Lightning got smoked by the Jackets one year, and lost for years with their core before going back-to-back.

Oh, and add me to the group saying welcome @Shesty Cola!

• VINNY! 1

29 minutes ago, Phil said:

A reliable top/middle-six RW and a more reliable backup. After that, it's all about getting to the playoffs and capitalizing.

The Lightning got smoked by the Jackets one year, and lost for years with their core before going back-to-back.

Oh, and add me to the group saying welcome @Shesty Cola!

This, +3C

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Might even be able to kill two birds with one stone if they acquire a C/RW like Pavelski or Miller.

Ideally, you get a guy that can slot in at C.

Strome/Chytil can always play wing. Smith cant play C or take draws.

I'd say we need three things:

1 - A steady backup/mentor goalie. Ironically, Hank would have been perfect for this but he's too busy being beautiful, so I'd be looking at Halak, Holtby - someone in that group

2 - A mid six C who can win faceoffs. Strome is fine. Chytil is fine. Neither is the guy you want on the ice to take a big draw and make a big defensive play. I'd LOVE JT Miller here, but there will be other options with lesser costs as the season goes on.

3 - A bottom pair D who can play meaningful minutes. Nemeth is fine, but the depth past him is scary. I'd rather him be the depth guy and we bring in a steady greybeard vet who can do the work. May be worth circling back on Giordano here - or hilariously enough, Marc Staal.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I'd say we need three things:

1 - A steady backup/mentor goalie. Ironically, Hank would have been perfect for this but he's too busy being beautiful, so I'd be looking at Halak, Holtby - someone in that group

2 - A mid six C who can win faceoffs. Strome is fine. Chytil is fine. Neither is the guy you want on the ice to take a big draw and make a big defensive play. I'd LOVE JT Miller here, but there will be other options with lesser costs as the season goes on.

3 - A bottom pair D who can play meaningful minutes. Nemeth is fine, but the depth past him is scary. I'd rather him be the depth guy and we bring in a steady greybeard vet who can do the work. May be worth circling back on Giordano here - or hilariously enough, Marc Staal.

Holy shit man!!  I didn't wanna say it because I thought I'd get beer spilled on my head at the next meet-up, but Staal might be a really good fit for the rest of this season.