• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Remains to Improve to Be a Legit Cup Contender This Year?

Shesty Cola

54 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, Kravtsov is already a lost cause, so trading him for a player who actually plays for the Rangers, regardless of the outcome, is more positive than negative. I doubt teams are lining up to offer their top prospects for him.

I dont twitter anymore but isnt he younger than Panarin, Tarasenko, Kaprizov, Buchnevich, et al when they came to the NHL?

I dont sell if the value isnt there.

I think your top trade options are

Chytil/Kavtsov

Schneider/Lundkvist

Jones/Robertson

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Right — this is exactly why I'm saying, if your team is performing, reward them. Get them that experience they can lean on in the playoffs when the games tighten and younger players might struggle.

Getting, let's say, Fleury + Giordano and someone like Marcus Johansson could go a long way.

Sorry, I saw M.A Fleury mentioned in thread earlier and misinterpreted your response.  I don't know enough about Haydn Fleury to respond about his merit.

11 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

1. He's a winner

2. He's been in a backup role

3. What happens if Shesterkin goes down

4. Shesterkin has never played more than 39 games in a season, so he can tire out 

5. Experience

6. He's an UFA after this season

He's a winner. But the only cup win that can really be credited to him was 09. He shit the bed a bunch of years and lost his starting gig in the Eastern conference Finals in 16 or 17.. 

I mean he's been very up and down. He has had a resurgence, but I don't really think he fits as a back up now. Thats kinda been the issue the last 9 years. He can't be a backup. Hes gotta be the starter. Nevermind the 7 mill salary. 

Edited by The Dude

What ever they do, if they deal from strength,  it still has to make sense. You don't give away top prospects for rentals at position of luxury. Back up goalie,  6th D man (when you have the amount  of high end prospects the Rangers have on D), and checking line forwards, ARENT worth dealing some of the names being tossed around.  

If they are dealing  Schneider,  Jones or Kravstov,  it's GOTTA be for a top end player. It would help if said acquisition had term on an affordable contract too. 

Seems people are fine with walking away from assets these days. Can't keep doing that. I get that you can't keep them all, but I don't see the team as ready to make a decision yet on which D man has to go. I'm seriously not impressed with Lundkvist yet. YET!

I don't think they can or should make that decision this year. I'd like to see these other kids get looks at the NHL level. 

As for Kravstov.  You probably gotta let him stew in the KHL and hope he draws interest if that bridge is truly burned. Maybe he can become a Radulov level player over there, that teams gain interest in. They obviously would need to retain his rights, but you can't just flip him for small pieces. 

If they go for a Reilly Smith and Vegas wants Kravtsov in return,  they HAVE to get more back. Pick, prospects, another player.. Something to make up for that lost future potential that should be playing right now.

• VINNY! 1

4 hours ago, fletch said:

Sorry, I saw M.A Fleury mentioned in thread earlier and misinterpreted your response.  I don't know enough about Haydn Fleury to respond about his merit.

No, I meant Marc-Andre. Two separate trades in this case.

On 12/2/2021 at 4:25 PM, Phil said:

There's a combo approach to be had with multiple teams:

Halak + Miller or Horvat
Holtby + Pavelski
Fleury + Dylan Strome or Khaira

Stars will be a cup contender. Most of their players were playing like ass and still getting points now Hintz/Pav/Robertson line woke up and they're tearing up top teams in the west now they wait for Seguin/Radulov/Klingberg to wake up... Though Dallas could still move someone like Radulov/a Goalie regardless. 

5 minutes ago, Winter said:

Stars will be a cup contender. Most of their players were playing like ass and still getting points now Hintz/Pav/Robertson line woke up and they're tearing up top teams in the west now they wait for Seguin/Radulov/Klingberg to wake up... Though Dallas could still move someone like Radulov/a Goalie regardless. 

Dallas is in that weird spot where they have four goalies. Bishop, Khudobin, Oettinger, and Holtby. Holtby would be the man out but as you said and I agree, they won’t move him as much for futures as they would to bolster a cup run. Pavelski just won’t happen imo. 

4 hours ago, Valriera said:

Miller is the one, if any, that you want, but it doesn't really matter who we get this year because this team needs to have a painful loss or two in the playoffs before they figure it out, like every team that came before them. 

Hoping to make a second round exit this year. That should pour the burn on pretty good. Stoke the flames for next year.

We're 2-5-2 against teams I consider contenders. Can't beat up on the Senators, Blackhawks, Flyers, Sabres, Canadiens and Blue Jackets forever, beating the teams we're suppose to beat is important but we can't ignore we've had a favorable schedule. 

Contenders being Flames, Oilers, Vegas, Stars, Aves, Blues, Wild, Panthers, Leafs, Lightning, Canes, Caps, Jets... I'm waiting this one out a little longer before wanting to make a major move for a "rental" this leads back to JT Miller/Horvat etc. who have next year also.... If obtained there is a chance the cap increase in a couple years is more than the usually $1 or so mil raise.

Canucks also could possibly make a Blues style turnaround with Boudreau already 2-0 lol who knows