• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Chytil is the odd man out and here's why:

Part of the problem with a possible Eichel acquisition is the fact that it doesn't actually address the team need at center. The team needs a 3rd & 4th line center. Presumably heavier players with defensive acumen. They should both be able to win draws and kill penalties. The 3rd line center should have more offensive ability than the 4th...

Fil Chytil does not fit that description. Neither does Howden. Neither does Ryan Strome.

So, say the Rangers acquire Eichel, you'd have to assume Chytil or Strome are going the other way. That pushes Zib down but leaves the same issue:

Eichel

Zib

Strome/Chytil

Howden

On paper this looks great, but it only looks great in the goal scoring department (which the Rangers already have in spades). This doesn't actually fix the issue of being harder to play against.

This is part of the reason I think Chytil is expendable. Rangers are looking to make the playoffs and be a contender next year. Whether or not that's the right move, doesn't matter. Jim Dolan declared it. Ryan Strome is without a doubt better than Chytil. I don't see any scenario that moves Chytil up to 2nd line and removes Strome because it makes the team worse in the short term -- which is the opposite of what they're trying to do.

This means that if the Rangers are looking to get better NEXT SEASON, they have to move Chytil out and bring in a proper 3rd line center (as well as a 4th). Marketing or not, Chyil seems to be the odd man out if the Rangers are actually going to build a team that can compete against the true playoff contenders.

This was my initial line of thinking 2-3 months ago. The plan I actually laid out then was to figure out BOTH 2 and 3 C, meaning Strome AND Chytil out. As of a few weeks ago, I'm not so sure. The production and underlying stats tell a different story for Chytil. As far as playing heavier, he is 6'2 and over 200 pounds. He is only 21. I have no doubt he is capable of using his size better to play heavier, especially with the right coach guiding him. I think we have the right coach now. Of all our centers, he already plays a more straight line game and has a shoot first mentality. You need those. His FO%, while still not good, is moving in the right direction. For the same reason patience is required with Kakko, patience is required with Chytil. He's ready to make significant strides.

The flip side of this is that they may see Chytil as a 2/3 center (regardless of what we think) and so they could move on from Strome and bring in a more physical 2/3 center for Chytil to compete with.

This is more my line of thinking now. I wouldn't even be so quick to say it's necessarily Strome out either. I've mentioned the possibility before, but what if they chose not to give Zibanejad the massive deal he is probably looking for? Instead, maybe they get Strome on a team friendly extension, hold onto Chytil, and bring in another mid 6 C who brings all of the traits we are looking for? It's an interesting concept, though risky because losing Zibanejad, at least on it's face, isn't synonymous with "need to make the playoffs".

I like Barron. I like Fil. I mean Fil is a big boy. He doesn't look like it in his sweater, but he's 6'2" 207. He just doesn't have that 3rd line center's game.

You've mentioned Brett Howden's junior prowess multiple times now, and I don't know how or why it's relevant.

Because he's going to be a different player without the "Make Mistakes Faster" requirement.

Because he's going to be a different player without the "Make Mistakes Faster" requirement.

Maybe. Hopefully. But here's the video of his draft with some relevant quotes:

"Question will be, how much can he score?" "If he doesn't score goals, he will still play in the NHL because of his size... and max effort." "This guy is a coaches dream." "Safe pick." "He will likely be a 3rd line center or a 4th line center."

Quinn played this guy a lot. More the Fil Chytil *at times*. I can't imagine seeing even more of him if/when his role is clearly defined as a 4th line center. Captain or not in junior, he was never projected to be more than what he is currently: a 4th liner who can't score.

Quinn played this guy a lot. More the Fil Chytil. I can't imagine seeing even more of him if/when his role is clearly defined as a 4th line center. Captain or not in junior, he was never projected to be more than what he is currently: a 4th liner who can't score.

This is 100% factually inaccurate, even with Howden getting 2 minutes of pk per game.

Then he's not operating in a President's capacity. You know, Dolan might have gone over Gorton and JD's head with the letter after the Tom Wilson incident, but he's the owner. I don't think Amanda from marketing is negligently operating against the team's vision just to sell season tickets. By the way, I think the stars like Panarin and Fox sell tickets to the types of people and businesses who are buying those, not Filip Chytil.

Like this...

Someone didn't make it onto the limited edition t-shirt...

there were multiple nights Chyit was the lowest TOI on the team. Maybe not over the course of the entire season but that "3rd line" was used like a 4th line on multiple occasions. This speaks to the lack of defined roles. I expect Gallant to have a different philosophy.

Like this...

Someone didn't make it onto the limited edition t-shirt...

Yes, like that. Star power. I don't see Ryan Strome, Pavel Buchnevich, or Brett Howden on the graphic nor the tshirt. I do see Chytil on one of them though :shrug:

Now why would the marketing department leave Strome and Buchnevich out? Are they not marketable? Almost like they were told not to use them.

Maybe. Hopefully. But here's the video of his draft with some relevant quotes:

"Question will be, how much can he score?" "If he doesn't score goals, he will still play in the NHL because of his size... and max effort." "This guy is a coaches dream." "Safe pick." "He will likely be a 3rd line center or a 4th line center."

Quinn played this guy a lot. More the Fil Chytil *at times*. I can't imagine seeing even more of him if/when his role is clearly defined as a 4th line center. Captain or not in junior, he was never projected to be more than what he is currently: a 4th liner who can't score.

Why does a captain need to be on the top line? Or to score a lot?

His past, shows he is capable of potting a goal when necessary. His ability to shift his play style to Quinn, shows his versatility, as does his ability to play all 3 forward positions.

Most of Tampas role players are close to 30. Howden just turned 23.

The teams not looking for more offense, they are looking for solid role players. He's cheap, checks most boxes, and he can only improve from here.

That video literally says his ceiling is 2nd C. Also, it wasnt the following 2 seasons he put up points.

Then he's not operating in a President's capacity. You know, Dolan might have gone over Gorton and JD's head with the letter after the Tom Wilson incident, but he's the owner. I don't think Amanda from marketing is negligently operating against the team's vision just to sell season tickets. By the way, I think the stars like Panarin and Fox sell tickets to the types of people and businesses who are buying those, not Filip Chytil.

Yes, he is. Team Presidents aren't bothering with standard marketing materials. I work in branding every day, trust me. We just completed a University rebrand. Top-to-bottom. Logos, architecture, pillars, positioning, platform, advertising — everything. The University President was involved for a hot second at the tail end of the logo/identity for final approval. That's it.

The t-shirt — the players on it are all signed. No free agents (of any kind). That's why they're on it and, say, Buchnevich isn't.

• Like 1

Yes, he is. Team Presidents aren't bothering with standard marketing materials. I work in branding every day, trust me. We just completed a University rebrand. Top-to-bottom. Logos, architecture, pillars, positioning, platform, advertising — everything. The University President was involved for a hot second at the tail end of the logo/identity for final approval. That's it.

The t-shirt — the players on it are all signed. No free agents (of any kind). That's why they're on it and, say, Buchnevich isn't.

Chytil is a restricted free agent, just like Buch. So is Igor. They used Chytil and Igor no problems. Decided to cold shoulder Buch though I guess.

You're right, but only Chytil fits your model. In what world is Shesterkin even remotely "available" for trade?

My point is that the front office does not bother with decisions on which players to utilize in marketing materials outside of potential do-not-use situations like DeAngelo. It's the same in college athletics, for example, where it's effectively an unwritten rule never to use seniors for anything unless they are "scrubbed" — a technique to disguise their identities and make them "generic" for use in anything. No tattoos, face shields in full effect (often darkened), etc.

Drury, especially, is not operating day-to-day making sure that his personnel decisions line up with whatever the latest email that went out said or featured.

This doesn't look like a statement or a graphic that a team makes if there are any plans to trade any of the players on it. I'll consider all of those players safe, which is a good thing. Especially everyone's favorite trade chip, Chytil.

We know that the PR department and the management team isn't on the same page. Let's not forget the "team statement" towards Parros after the lack of discipline handed out after the Wilson incident. The one both Gorton and JD did not back or take credit for...

We know that the PR department and the management team isn't on the same page. Let's not forget the "team statement" towards Parros after the lack of discipline handed out after the Wilson incident. The one both Gorton and JD did not back or take credit for...

That's the past. That was also the owner going over their heads. Not the PR team.

You don't put a player on a hype poster about "meeting the youth movement" if you don't think he has a role here or you're looking to trade him, in the middle of an expansion draft offseason that is likely to be raging with trades and moves, no less.

You do if you're the Rangers..

That's the past. That was also the owner going over their heads. Not the PR team.

You mean Dolan typed it up and released it to the press? If you're saying the GM has say in who's on promotions, I'd think he'd have say in press releases. Especially if their opinion differs greatly from said release.

I think Drury has nothing to do with marketing. If he did, it would be boring and plain as shit, because he himself is a FUCKING BORE. LOL.

Then again that Fox promo is pretty lame. "Don't you want to see for yourself?"..

Yuck.

You mean Dolan typed it up and released it to the press? If you're saying the GM has say in who's on promotions, I'd think he'd have say in press releases. Especially if their opinion differs greatly from said release.

I think Drury has nothing to do with marketing. If he did, it would be boring and plain as shit, because he himself is a FUCKING BORE. LOL.

Then again that Fox promo is pretty lame. "Don't you want to see for yourself?"..

Yuck.

Nah. I mean Dolan got on the horn with PR and said he wanted them to get a statement together to condemn Parros.

I do think the President of the team signs off on the players that can be used to market the team for next season. It's a pretty quick thing to do. No, I don't think Drury is designing graphics in his office lol

Why does a captain need to be on the top line? Or to score a lot?

His past, shows he is capable of potting a goal when necessary. His ability to shift his play style to Quinn, shows his versatility, as does his ability to play all 3 forward positions.

Most of Tampas role players are close to 30. Howden just turned 23.

The teams not looking for more offense, they are looking for solid role players. He's cheap, checks most boxes, and he can only improve from here.

That video literally says his ceiling is 2nd C. Also, it wasnt the following 2 seasons he put up points.

He’s currently a below replacement level player… his junior career has not translated. Maybe we’re hoping Gallant can make

him an NHL player, but why not just bring someone in who already is? Again the team is looking to make the playoffs now. They don’t really have the time to develop a slow developing 4th line center. They’re a dime a dozen.

I just don’t see how his junior career is relevant to his NHL career when he’s shown less than 0 value through 3 years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1413504967801856008

He’s currently a below replacement level player… his junior career has not translated. Maybe we’re hoping Gallant can make

him an NHL player, but why not just bring someone in who already is? Again the team is looking to make the playoffs now. They don’t really have the time to develop a slow developing 4th line center. They’re a dime a dozen.

I just don’t see how his junior career is relevant to his NHL career when he’s shown less than 0 value through 3 years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1413504967801856008

Josh also thought Andersson was better than Howden and didn't know why Howden was playing over Lee-Ass... So... Yea.

Nah. I mean Dolan got on the horn with PR and said he wanted them to get a statement together to condemn Parros.

I do think the President of the team signs off on the players that can be used to market the team for next season. It's a pretty quick thing to do. No, I don't think Drury is designing graphics in his office lol

No, but I'm betting he has a say in how the budget is used and the general aesthetic/brand of the marketing. Most GMs would.

No, but I'm betting he has a say in how the budget is used and the general aesthetic/brand of the marketing. Most GMs would.

I could see that, but that makes it even more realistic that he knows which groups of players are being marketed. This idea that it is somehow ridiculous for Drury to have his finger on the pulse in terms of marketing is odd. It's one of his jobs, and it's the easiest one to provide feedback: "I'm good with that list of players being marketed." - 5 minute phone call. "I'm good with that design" - 10 minute presentation. He can spend the other 12 hours (probably) in his work day right now budgeting, crunching cap, talking to other GMs, rubbing elbows with Dolan and Slats, syncing up with Gallant, and anything else that won't ruin his summer Christmas here.