• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

This doesn't look like a statement or a graphic that a team makes if there are any plans to trade any of the players on it. I'll consider all of those players safe, which is a good thing. Especially everyone's favorite trade chip, Chytil.

I mean, maybe -- but that's not really how front office discussions work. If the right deal manifests, Drury isn't gonna be like "you know, I would, but we totally sent out a graphic with Chytil in it, so I can't."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think Chytil is guilty of not being the flavor of the month. Since we drafted him, we’ve seen Kravtsov walk in and then Kakko and Lafreniere be gifted to us. At a very young age, Chytil has shown tremendous potential. I know we all, myself included, like to use him in trade scenarios. But to me, that’s a very dangerous game.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I do not envy Drury at the moment. It’s his first few weeks as GM and he has a lot of major decisions to make.

I mean, maybe -- but that's not really how front office discussions work. If the right deal manifests, Drury isn't gonna be like "you know, I would, but we totally sent out a graphic with Chytil in it, so I can't."

Sure, but that's why I said plans.

I don't think Drury is proactively shopping any of those players, despite what seems like a consensus around here where you'd think Chytil has one foot out the door.

Exactly. Let's not confuse marketing with hockey.

Chytil just doesn't have a role. Doesn't make him a bad player. You can't keep everybody.

Exactly. Let's not confuse marketing with hockey.

Chytil just doesn't have a role. Doesn't make him a bad player. You can't keep everybody.

So true. Can't keep em all when you want value back in a trade. Still think Chytil is a casualty of a deal.

You don't put a player on a hype poster about "meeting the youth movement" if you don't think he has a role here or you're looking to trade him, in the middle of an expansion draft offseason that is likely to be raging with trades and moves, no less. That's the point.

It doesn't mean he won't be traded if a deal comes along that's too good for Drury to pass up, but it does indicate that they likely aren't shopping him like everyone is doing on this board. If they are paying attention at all to underlying numbers, like we do with Kakko, Chytil won't be traded. On top of that, he's cheap and has a higher ceiling than our current 2C.

You don't put a player on a hype poster about "meeting the youth movement" if you don't think he has a role here or you're looking to trade him, in the middle of an expansion draft offseason that is likely to be raging with trades and moves, no less. That's the point.

It doesn't mean he won't be traded if a deal comes along that's too good for Drury to pass up, but it does indicate that they likely aren't shopping him like everyone is doing on this board. If they are paying attention at all to underlying numbers, like we do with Kakko, Chytil won't be traded. On top of that, he's cheap and has a higher ceiling than our current 2C.

This is not how this works. "You" is the marketing department. They're trying to sell tickets. They're going to use the players at their disposal. Unless the player is a free agent or clearly in a do-not-use category (DeAngelo), they'll make their way into marketing pieces.

The front office — Drury especially — has nothing to do with this.

Chytil is the odd man out and here's why:

Part of the problem with a possible Eichel acquisition is the fact that it doesn't actually address the team need at center. The team needs a 3rd & 4th line center. Presumably heavier players with defensive acumen. They should both be able to win draws and kill penalties. The 3rd line center should have more offensive ability than the 4th...

Fil Chytil does not fit that description. Neither does Howden. Neither does Ryan Strome.

So, say the Rangers acquire Eichel, you'd have to assume Chytil or Strome are going the other way. That pushes Zib down but leaves the same issue:

Eichel

Zib

Strome/Chytil

Howden

On paper this looks great, but it only looks great in the goal scoring department (which the Rangers already have in spades). This doesn't actually fix the issue of being harder to play against.

This is part of the reason I think Chytil is expendable. Rangers are looking to make the playoffs and be a contender next year. Whether or not that's the right move, doesn't matter. Jim Dolan declared it. Ryan Strome is without a doubt better than Chytil. I don't see any scenario that moves Chytil up to 2nd line and removes Strome because it makes the team worse in the short term -- which is the opposite of what they're trying to do.

This means that if the Rangers are looking to get better NEXT SEASON, they have to move Chytil out and bring in a proper 3rd line center (as well as a 4th). Marketing or not, Chyil seems to be the odd man out if the Rangers are actually going to build a team that can compete against the true playoff contenders.

This is not how this works. "You" is the marketing department. They're trying to sell tickets. They're going to use the players at their disposal. Unless the player is a free agent or clearly in a do-not-use category (DeAngelo), they'll make their way into marketing pieces.

The front office — Drury especially — has nothing to do with this.

Then he's not operating in a President's capacity. You know, Dolan might have gone over Gorton and JD's head with the letter after the Tom Wilson incident, but he's the owner. I don't think Amanda from marketing is negligently operating against the team's vision just to sell season tickets. By the way, I think the stars like Panarin and Fox sell tickets to the types of people and businesses who are buying those, not Filip Chytil.

Chytil is the odd man out and here's why:

Part of the problem with a possible Eichel acquisition is the fact that it doesn't actually address the team need at center. The team needs a 3rd & 4th line center. Presumably heavier players with defensive acumen. They should both be able to win draws and kill penalties. The 3rd line center should have more offensive ability than the 4th...

Fil Chytil does not fit that description. Neither does Howden. Neither does Ryan Strome.

So, say the Rangers acquire Eichel, you'd have to assume Chytil or Strome are going the other way. That pushes Zib down but leaves the same issue:

Eichel

Zib

Strome/Chytil

Howden

On paper this looks great, but it only looks great in the goal scoring department (which the Rangers already have in spades). This doesn't actually fix the issue of being harder to play against.

This is part of the reason I think Chytil is expendable. Rangers are looking to make the playoffs and be a contender next year. Whether or not that's the right move, doesn't matter. Jim Dolan declared it. Ryan Strome is without a doubt better than Chytil. I don't see any scenario that moves Chytil up to 2nd line and removes Strome because it makes the team worse in the short term -- which is the opposite of what they're trying to do.

This means that if the Rangers are looking to get better NEXT SEASON, they have to move Chytil out and bring in a proper 3rd line center (as well as a 4th). Marketing or not, Chyil seems to be the odd man out if the Rangers are actually going to build a team that can compete against the true playoff contenders.

The flip side of this is that they may see Chytil as a 2/3 center (regardless of what we think) and so they could move on from Strome and bring in a more physical 2/3 center for Chytil to compete with.

The flip side of this is that they may see Chytil as a 2/3 center (regardless of what we think) and so they could move on from Strome and bring in a more physical 2/3 center for Chytil to compete with.

That's true. However, I would consider that poor player assessment if they think Chytil is going to do what Strome did over the last two years. Strome simply has a track record that Chytil just does not. Hell, Chytil was often the least TOI last season (not that I agree with that coaching either, but still).

If they could trade Strome and Chytil could replace him without any downturn in production, I'd do that, but I just don't think that's a realistic expectation.

I'm not a huge fan of him at C at the NHL level, but Morgan Barron checks the boxes for that ideal 3C.

If you have less patience, let me introduce you to the guy that took over the C from Point, and put up the equivalent stats for Moose Jaw, Brett Howden.

That's true. However, I would consider that poor player assessment if they think Chytil is going to do what Strome did over the last two years. Strome simply has a track record that Chytil just does not. Hell, Chytil was often the least TOI last season (not that I agree with that coaching either, but still).

If they could trade Strome and Chytil could replace him without any downturn in production, I'd do that, but I just don't think that's a realistic expectation.

And Chytil is still putting up better stats than Strome did prior to coming to the Rangers.

He was also the teams top shooting C 5v5. Something they NEED with all the skilled wingers.

My thought is more that Strome's offense can get replaced by both Chytil's development and the other 2/3 line more gritty center they acquire. One would likely be playing with Panarin, and the other would be with our improving (through development) wing depth.

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Chytil/Other - Kravtsov

Laf - Chytil/Other - Kakko

Howden - Barron - Gauthier

Depending on development and on any given night, those top 3 lines may become largely interchangeable as far as ice time. The 4th line and 2/3 center is where I would focus on adding more size/grit/defense.

I'm not a huge fan of him at C at the NHL level, but Morgan Barron checks the boxes for that ideal 3C.

If you have less patience, let me introduce you to the guy that took over the C from Point, and put up the equivalent stats for Moose Jaw, Brett Howden.

I like Barron. I like Fil. I mean Fil is a big boy. He doesn't look like it in his sweater, but he's 6'2" 207. He just doesn't have that 3rd line center's game.

You've mentioned Brett Howden's junior prowess multiple times now, and I don't know how or why it's relevant.