• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New York Mets Thread

Patrick Bateman

I like the moves you guys made so far.  The Verlander move is perfect!  I don't trust deGrom at all.  If he makes it though even one season without injury, I'll be astonished!

At least Verlander's track record shows he's been a freak in making his starts without missing many at all!

I was wondering what was up with the Giants backing out. I thought maybe they found out he was doing PEDs or something. I wonder what the issue was with his physical. At any rate, that's a boon for the Mets. Unreal!

He's the new George but without all of the antics and suspensions from baseball. I love the guy and I'm not even a Mets fan. If more owners were as committed as he is, the game would be better.

Everyone around the league has laughed at the Mets organization for decades. If these moves blow up in their face, so be it.  I'm glad the organization is going balls to the wall in hopes of a championship in the next few years.  Sure, money doesn't buy championships, but it surely can't hurt to have it for spending while other teams in the division (like the Phillies) drop 300+ millions on guys like Harper and Turner.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Unbelievable job by Cohen. Correa is a near perfect fit. He’s been great in big spots his whole career, great defensively, lengthens out a lineup, moves Escobar into a super utility role. It’s almost surreal seeing the Mets being able to have the resources they do.

I loved the off-season up to this point because they did a great job of retaining a good chunk of a team that won 101 games. That being said, their offense sputtered down the stretch and I have been saying they needed help there. This goes a long, long way. Great job.

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They were asking about a back issue from before he even made the majors

Why was another team concerned tho? I don't have skin in the game, except most of my family are Mets fans. That's what I told them in the group chat lol. 

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Why was another team concerned tho? I don't have skin in the game, except most of my family are Mets fans. That's what I told them in the group chat lol. 

The vibe a lot of the reporters are getting is that the Giants got cold feet about the whole transaction. There was a difference in opinion on something with the physical about an issue that was from long before he even made his big league debut, so it’s coming off as a grasping at straws type of thing. 

• Thanks 1

This offseason was a huge kick in the balls for Giants fans. They thought they had Judge and Correa and wound up with neither. But yeah, unbelievable job by Cohen to swoop in. I wouldn't be too worried about him getting accustomed to playing third base. I'm sure it will happen. The Mets still have some issues at catcher, depending how well the rookie is this upcoming season. Their lineup is stacked and one of the best in the league. The NL East is going to be brutal with the Braves, Mets and Phillies. It's entirely possible the Mets still don't win the division after all of this, but kudos to Cohen for making all of this happen. 

After a medical concern reportedly derailed his contract agreement with the Giants, Correa reportedly agreed to a 12-year, $315 million contract with the New York Mets, only for New York to reportedly have the same medical concern as San Francisco.

Although there reportedly is optimism that Correa and the Mets can overcome the latest snag, the New York Post's Jon Heyman reportedMonday evening that Correa is not open to the idea of restructuring his reported agreement with the Mets, which could derail the agreement if New York wishes to re-negotiate.

One source told Heyman that the likelihood of Correa and the Mets finding common ground and working out a deal is at 55 percent, a rather uninspiring number for Mets fans.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-rumors-carlos-correa-not-033904316.html

On 12/21/2022 at 1:37 PM, Pete said:

"This guy's got got issues with a physical, let's throw gobs of money at him!"

On 12/21/2022 at 2:07 PM, Parsley said:

Everyone around the league has laughed at the Mets organization for decades. If these moves blow up in their face, so be it.  I'm glad the organization is going balls to the wall in hopes of a championship in the next few years.  Sure, money doesn't buy championships, but it surely can't hurt to have it for spending while other teams in the division (like the Phillies) drop 300+ millions on guys like Harper and Turner.  

If we use the Yankees as a case study, since they have often had one of the league's highest payroll.

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/history/year-by-year-results

If you have a top five payroll in the league, you should expect to make the playoffs.  Otherwise, your organization hasn't been efficient with payroll.

A golden age for the Yankees was 1996-2003 https://www.mlb.com/yankees/history/year-by-year-results

1996 Won WS First +4.0 92 70 0 .568 Joe Torre 2,250,877 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
1997 Lost ALDS Second (WC) -2.0 96 66 0 .593 Joe Torre 2,580,445 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
1998 Won WS First +22.0 114 48 0 .704 Joe Torre 2,919,046 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
1999 Won WS First +4.0 98 64 0 .605 Joe Torre 3,292,736 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
2000 Won WS First +2.5 87 74 0 .540 Joe Torre 3,227,657 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
2001 Lost WS First +13.5 95 65 1 .594 Joe Torre 3,264,777 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
2002 Lost ALDS First +10.5 103 58 0 .640 Joe Torre 3,461,644 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
2003 Lost WS First +6.0 101 61 1 .623 Joe Torre 3,465,585 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)

But the last World Series title for the Yankees was 2009.  So given the payroll, should we consider the period 2010-2022 a failure?

It's a relief to be free of the Madoff scandal.  It seemed like the Mets were spending less money on payroll than they should because of the issues with the owners.  But I'm still not convinced the Mets are being particularly efficient with their spending.   The past 5-10 years seems like they are just churning through starting pitchers instead of keeping no. 1 - no. 3 starters.  As always, optimistic that one of these years they are going to get things right, and the Mets can have another deep playoff run.  1986 is becoming a more distant memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Mets_owners_and_executives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Equities

7 hours ago, fletch said:

If we use the Yankees as a case study, since they have often had one of the league's highest payroll.

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/history/year-by-year-results

If you have a top five payroll in the league, you should expect to make the playoffs.  Otherwise, your organization hasn't been efficient with payroll.

A golden age for the Yankees was 1996-2003 https://www.mlb.com/yankees/history/year-by-year-results

1996 Won WS First +4.0 92 70 0 .568 Joe Torre 2,250,877 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
1997 Lost ALDS Second (WC) -2.0 96 66 0 .593 Joe Torre 2,580,445 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
1998 Won WS First +22.0 114 48 0 .704 Joe Torre 2,919,046 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
1999 Won WS First +4.0 98 64 0 .605 Joe Torre 3,292,736 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
2000 Won WS First +2.5 87 74 0 .540 Joe Torre 3,227,657 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
2001 Lost WS First +13.5 95 65 1 .594 Joe Torre 3,264,777 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
2002 Lost ALDS First +10.5 103 58 0 .640 Joe Torre 3,461,644 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)
2003 Lost WS First +6.0 101 61 1 .623 Joe Torre 3,465,585 Orig. Yankee Stad. (R)

But the last World Series title for the Yankees was 2009.  So given the payroll, should we consider the period 2010-2022 a failure?

It's a relief to be free of the Madoff scandal.  It seemed like the Mets were spending less money on payroll than they should because of the issues with the owners.  But I'm still not convinced the Mets are being particularly efficient with their spending.   The past 5-10 years seems like they are just churning through starting pitchers instead of keeping no. 1 - no. 3 starters.  As always, optimistic that one of these years they are going to get things right, and the Mets can have another deep playoff run.  1986 is becoming a more distant memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Mets_owners_and_executives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Equities

Every Yankee fan does consider 2010-2022 a failure with no title during that time. 

• TroCheckmark 2

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

Every Yankee fan does consider 2010-2022 a failure with no title during that time. 

Some of those teams during that stretch weren't that great, some were really good but they (Cashman) didn't do go the extra mile to really become a contender. With their current ownership and management group, the Mets are in far better shape.

7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Some of those teams during that stretch weren't that great, some were really good but they (Cashman) didn't do go the extra mile to really become a contender. With their current ownership and management group, the Mets are in far better shape.

I'd also say that Yankess fans have been spoiled, and therefore feel a little more entitled, and use the word "failure" more frequently than maybe some other sports/franchise fans.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I'd also say that Yankess fans have been spoiled, and therefore feel a little more entitled, and use the word "failure" more frequently than maybe some other sports/franchise fans.

Exactly. That whole thing seemed to start with Jeter when he said the season is a failure if you don't win a championship. Yeah, that is the ultimate goal, but not every season that doesn't end in a championship is a failed one necessarily.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:41 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Exactly. That whole thing seemed to start with Jeter when he said the season is a failure if you don't win a championship. Yeah, that is the ultimate goal, but not every season that doesn't end in a championship is a failed one necessarily.

In an uncapped sport where the team is always top 3-4 in money spent, it is more logical to call out a championshipless season as failure.

14 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

In an uncapped sport where the team is always top 3-4 in money spent, it is more logical to call out a championshipless season as failure.

That is definitely true and to an extent, accurate with some Yankees teams. There have also been plenty of Yankees teams that have had high payrolls, but the roster construction was not very good. That's why I blame Cashman more than anything for their lack of championships despite some of the best resources in the game.

• Keeps it 100 1

19 hours ago, rmc51 said:

19 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

That is definitely true and to an extent, accurate with some Yankees teams. There have also been plenty of Yankees teams that have had high payrolls, but the roster construction was not very good. That's why I blame Cashman more than anything for their lack of championships despite some of the best resources in the game.

Exactly. I'd say in an uncapped sport having the largest payroll is irrelevant when you're just throwing good money at bad players. 

That said when it comes to Yankees fans (and I used to be one, before baseball became unwatchable and the players so unlikeable... So maybe 15 years ago LOL) some of them feel like all the team needs to do is show up and be gifted a Championship. Still gotta play the games, or they'd just give trophies out for payroll.