• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Formula 1 Discussion

Morphinity 2.0

On 4/11/2022 at 12:37 AM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.highlights-watch-the-action-from-a-thrilling-2022-australian-grand-prix.6LAfaKSdPctPaN84Fz904w.html

I watched these highlights and lap 27 restart was hairy - VER was really pushing LEC. Ferrari and LEC certainly having a moment. I read a quote from him that said he really doesn’t feel pressure. If true, he’s going to be headed to a championship as long as equipment doesn’t fail him. McClaren had a favorable track and good for them. Mercedes won’t be held back all season. Glad the cost cap hits them too. Instead of throwing unlimited $$ at a solution, they have to correct incrementally like everyone else. VER? Oh-boy. 

It’s going to be really interesting to see if Merc can come up with a solution under the new regulations.  Using my imagination, I’m having trouble picturing it.  Sure, they can show up with a redesigned floor, but (with my painfully low knowledge of the matter) it appears to be a very complicated and multi-faceted problem.  If they can find the right equation (which they haven’t found yet), yes it could be a game changer, but I just can’t see how that much design time can elapse, yet you can fix such a serious issue in n days and weeks.  ?????  

15 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Cost cap is having a huge impact. Can’t just throw the vault at problems anymore. 

Cost cap and also restricted wind tunnel time based on your championship standing position is having a big impact on changing the pecking order. By winning the constructor's championship, if I'm not mistaken, that means Mercedes will have the least time in the windtunnel to test new parts. Not the end of the world, as they can rely on CFD, but still limits their ability to develop/test new parts. On the contrary, it looks like Ferrari has made the most of their additional time.

Good read about porpoising. 

“What might this have to do with porpoising? There are at least two possibilities:

◦    The wider bodywork at the rear may be contributing towards the airflow restriction of the underbody. The more teardrop-shaped upper bodyworks of the others should be able to exert a more helpful airflow over the top of the diffuser, potentially making the underbody tunnels more stall-resistant.

◦    Where the stall point is relative to the car’s centre of gravity could affect the severity of the bouncing. The short gearbox layout could be putting that centre of gravity at a really awkward point relative to the stall point of the underbody and inducing a leverage effect.

We should emphasise that none of this is anything other than conjecture and that the answers may in reality be very different. But there is something nagging about the correlation between the three cars using the same layout, and the severity of their bouncing problem.”

Gearbox the solution to porpoising?

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Cost cap is having a huge impact. Can’t just throw the vault at problems anymore. 

Russell is apparently answering questions regarding rumors about Mercedes reverting to the Barcelona test car.  He’s saying they have to be careful they “don’t do anything crazy that will be a step backwards, not forwards”.  Is it possible that they have real doubts they can actually get the physics right on this car?  Maybe put it aside and redesign for next year?  🤷🏻‍♂️

It's possible that might be the path of least resistance for them to try and salvage this season.

Have to keep in mind with all the cost cap restrictions, wind tunnel hours and even limitation on manhours the factory can work, the lead team for completing R&D, producing the parts, testing the parts and then implementing the parts on the race car has gone from weeks to months. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Karan said:

It's possible that might be the path of least resistance for them to try and salvage this season.

Have to keep in mind with all the cost cap restrictions, wind tunnel hours and even limitation on manhours the factory can work, the lead team for completing R&D, producing the parts, testing the parts and then implementing the parts on the race car has gone from weeks to months. 

Yeah exactly.  But then what’s the expectation of salvaging or damage limitation for the season?  If they can’t win, if they’re comfortable with 3rd or 4th, then why not test and get on top of this concept all the way to the end?  I’m assuming that whatever the virtual world is showing them has made them abandon the “conventional” car and enthusiastically bring the sidepod-less design this far.  Why stop now?  Spend this year’s budget on next year?  Are they only now realizing it’s too much of a hole to go down??  🤔🤔

Thx for the read, Marc. I was excited when hearing about possible new entrants a year or two ago but didn’t contemplate the challenge which VW Group divisions create. 

Horner’s point is easily understood when you consider established tooling, manufacturing systems and historical build knowledge of established teams. $15M isn’t nearly enough. Wow, talk about discovering a left-handed monkey wrench. This will not be easily sorted. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank
  • Like 1

DVR goof-up so I joined lap 17. VER & PER appeared to have serious pace today. NOR drinks champagne too. RUS v. BOT in the last stint was interesting but just not enough. LEC with a HUGE error late dropped 3——>9 and then managed P7. 

No DRS for much of the race due to wet? Seemed like a dry racing line could have seen it activated earlier, no?

On to Miami. 

Yeah rough weekend for the Ferrari boys. Very unlucky for Sainz once again that Ricciardo overcooked his entry. And I thought Leclerc would've done well to consolidate P3 but they really wanted that P2. He was quicker than Perez at that stage so can't blame him for trying, but just went in too hot. But still salvaging P6 today and P2 yesterday isn't bad for the championship. But more worrying for Ferrari will be Red Bull's improved race pace. If Red Bull have sorted out their reliability issues, they could quickly take over both championships. But have to keep in mind that Ferrari were the only team that didn't bring any upgrades this weekend.

Aside from that it was a decent race, considering Imola is notoriously hard to pass on. A lot of the overtakes were DRS fabricated but I'll take it. 

Hell of a drive by Norris, Russell and Bottas, very impressive performances by all 3. Toto's post-race radio to Hamilton was hilarious, totally kissing his ass apologizing for that "undriveable lump" which Russell was meanwhile able to drag to P4. 🤣

Edited by Karan
  • Cheers 2

Applause to NOR RUS BOT for sure. My son said he heard HAM say the his championship chance was ‘likely over.’ I haven’t read it anywhere and that would be a huge reveal. 

Red Bulls had great pace and yeah, should their reliability be sorted they will be tough. Ferrari needs a boost. 

Any predictions for Miami? I had a friend who had told me last year he was going but when I asked today he said no, tickets were sold out in an hour. 

You'd hope they learn from past mistakes, but seemingly that's not the case. I'm hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

The goal for this race isn't to produce a good race product. It's to create a glamorous, almost Super Bowl-like experience - doesn't have to be a good game/race, it just has to have the cachet. And let's be honest, it won't be alone in being a shit track. There are plenty of those on the F1 calendar. 

Unfortunately money talks and I see more and more of a shift from Liberty Media to create these glamorous races at high profile venues where VIPs/guests will be inclined to travel to. And sprinkled in with a few classic European races to maintain the "history" of F1 for the purists. Most VIPs aren't going to be interested in flying to a classic race track in some rural European town, but they're definitely going to flock to large metropolitan cities like Miami, Las Vegas etc. Which in turn brings more attention to all the sponsors. So I expect we'll be seeing more and more of these in the future 😕 

On 5/3/2022 at 5:46 PM, Karan said:

Unfortunately money talks and I see more and more of a shift from Liberty Media to create these glamorous races at high profile venues where VIPs/guests will be inclined to travel to. And sprinkled in with a few classic European races to maintain the "history" of F1 for the purists. Most VIPs aren't going to be interested in flying to a classic race track in some rural European town, but they're definitely going to flock to large metropolitan cities like Miami, Las Vegas etc. Which in turn brings more attention to all the sponsors. So I expect we'll be seeing more and more of these in the future 😕 

I think the spectacle of F1 is important, and tracks in large cities add to the spectacle even if they don't produce the best racing. I know I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here, but I genuinely believe it. By all measures, a place like Baku produces a shit race. But it's still just cool  to see those cars weave through that tight castle section. And let's not pretend like Monaco hasn't been a car parade for years. But it's one of the coolest races of the year, maybe the pinnacle of the racing calendar. And it never gets old. I'd rather watch a race in the parking lot of Hard Rock Stadium than whatever shit they put on in the outskirts of Shanghai.

So to me, there's space on the F1 calendar for shit races in interesting or exotic locations. 

Yeah Monaco is definitely not ever going to be known for producing good racing, but it's probably the pioneer spectacle event on the calendar that focused primarily on the local/glamour and spectacle of the event to bring in sponsors and eyeballs, which is why it has been retained on the calendar all these years. F1 never really did much to add such events to the calendar prior to Liberty Media but I think they've definitely seen the advantages on cash influx that such events bring hence Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Las Vegas, Miami etc. 

The locale or background or exoticness of the location has never really done much for me. I've always been more of a fan of those classic European tracks and challenging/fun layouts than racing in cool night spectacles like Singapore/Abu Dhabi. Give a race at Mugello or Portimao any day over those. Unfortunately, those type of events are quickly becoming sparse in the current economic climate and that's just the reality of how the business model works now.

Edited by Karan

On 5/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, Karan said:

Nothing like the nostalgia of being back in the US to race in a parking lot.  🙄 Can't even tell it's Miami...

Untitled.png

Sure you can tell it's Miami! Dontcha see the fake marina and drydocked "Monaco" yachts???? 🙄