• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Formula 1 Discussion

Morphinity 2.0

• 4 weeks later...

So, after Andretti was denied even a cursory look the first time, he went back and found some BIG backing with Cadillac and now he's too much of a threat? I understand the slicing of prize money but hasn't the recent FIA emphasis been on growing the North American market (a/k/a/ USA?) If the teams, other than Alpine, manage to stop his entry onto the grid, then F1 has taken a very short-sighted step backwards. 

Side Note: I went back and watched laps 45-48 of Silverstone and marveled again at the battles up front. Stellar driving from all involved.

At this point, I think we've all seen Verstappen's tendency to have well over the top rants when things don't go his way (remember all the expletive laden radio calls when things didn't go his way particularly in 2019/2020?), and I don't think he's going to change who he is.

But I totally get where he's coming from in this case, as a lot of the glitches were avoidable with proper infrastructure and testing, and the organizers don't seem to have put in the necessary quality control on their end given the magnitude of this event. Most of the participants put in months of prep to get ready for it and it just gets drained down the toilet for no real fault of their own.

• 3 weeks later...

RB reveal 2023 livery in NYC. Man I wish they had a public look-see around that event. 

FORD going to provide power to RB in 2026 and beyond. Porsche was thissssssss close to signing the deal according to reports but Ford got it done. I'd love to see Porsche enter the fray. (I want to test-drive the e-Taycan in a couple of weeks since it seems like Jag is taking forever to get the eF-type to market.)

• 1 month later...

F1 2023 starts in Bahrain

Psyched for racing again. We're 6-7 laps in and VER is ahead by over 4.5 seconds. (Update: Lap 10: 6.5 sec)Bull going to be tough again this season. Toto says that MB Engineers need to design something else, "This isn't a championship winning car."

UGH!! My cable service just went into emergency test mode for an hour! Added F1 app for a free trial and we're watching again.

As expected, Red Bull miles ahead of everyone. Mercedes still floundering around with the post-2022 rules. Ferrari come up with another fast car on Saturday only to shoot themselves in the foot on Sunday. The midfield is roughly about where it was last year apart from a huge lead to the front by Aston and McLaren bringing up the rear...ouch. Fun to see Alonso slicing and dicing like a man half his age, well deserved podium. 

13 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

ALO driver of the day! Great work by him and AM to give him a competitive car. 

RB…man they were quick. 

Stroll in the points after breaking his wrist had to have been a tough drive too. Gasly also was great. Almost had fastest lap before Zhou in 16th took it away.

I was hoping we'd see more competition at the top but I think we're in for another RB Run Away

• TroCheckmark 1

22 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The fact Leclerc already took a new PU before the race, and lost power during the race, just about wraps up this season before even the first race. What a shame - hopefully the midfield battles will at least be somewhat interesting.

New PU? I missed that and only saw the batter issue on the grid. Geez, Ferrari with "0" luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp…Ferrari took more PU parts and now LEC has a 10-spot grid penalty. 🤦‍♂️

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.ferrari-confirm-charles-leclerc-will-be-hit-with-grid-penalty-for-saudi.2TMC3MUCnDCBgZQahmyLuC.html

Charles Leclerc will have his work cut out in this weekend’s Saudi Arabian Grand Prix after his Ferrari team were forced to fit another control electronics power unit component, which in turn triggers a grid penalty.

Ferrari replaced the Energy Store and Control Electronics on Leclerc’s engine before the season opening Bahrain Grand Prix. The Monegasque then retired when in contention for a podium behind the two Red Bulls.

Ferrari
It was a tricky opening day for Ferrari. Leclerc knows he has a 10-place grid drop incoming, and then the news broke that the team had decided to change both power units on each car as a precaution. On top of that, Leclerc was struggling with small reliability gremlins in the form of paddle shift issues, while Sainz was baulked by traffic and neither driver managed a fully clean push lap in the representative evening conditions on the soft tyre. More to come from them tomorrow.

F1 Saudi GP - What teams said…

what a shitshow the FIA is lol. reversed decision to give Alonso the podium back. I guess Aston Martin protested, and sent examples of times in previous races where the jack made contact with cars serving a 5 second penalty and no extra penalty was given. So the debate is, does the jack making contact with the car constitute working on it. First they said yes, then then changed it to no

Just make a rule lol. Good for Alonso though. 

I thought we were really gonna have a race when he got the early lead. but this Red Bull is just lightyears ahead of everyone else. 

The Alpines have a really good car though. I wanted to bet both Alpines in the points but unfortunately that doesn't seem like a legal bet in NY. So I cashed on Gasly in the points. I think they're certainly the ' best of the rest' on the grid. 

Logan Sargent looks like a decent driver so far. The Williams looks better than last year, but just not good enough. He'll get points at some point this season though

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

what a shitshow the FIA is lol. reversed decision to give Alonso the podium back. I guess Aston Martin protested, and sent examples of times in previous races where the jack made contact with cars serving a 5 second penalty and no extra penalty was given. So the debate is, does the jack making contact with the car constitute working on it. First they said yes, then then changed it to no

I thought we were really gonna have a race when he got the early lead. but this Red Bull is just lightyears ahead of everyone else. 

The Alpines have a really good car though. I wanted to bet both Alpines in the points but unfortunately that doesn't seem like a legal bet in NY. So I cashed on Gasly in the points. I think they're certainly the ' best of the rest' on the grid. 

Logan Sargent looks like a decent driver so far. The Williams looks better than last year, but just not good enough. He'll get points at some point this season though

Typical FIA buffoonery. But you left out the most comical part. Some unknown source came to them with some "agreement" saying that teams were not allowed to put the jack under the car and the FIA didn't bother to fact check it and ran with it. Only until the protest, they backtracked and claimed oh yeah the source wasn't creditable so we decided to change the penalty based on recent precedent. What a fucking farce. They find new ways to make a complete mockery of themselves each season. 

Edited by Karan
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Yeah agreed Alpine looks like the best of the rest although I think they're a bit disappointed to be that far off Mercedes/Ferrari. I think they were expecting to be closer to the big-3 this year and now Aston Martin has leap frogged the entire midfield to be the 2nd best team. 

Very impressed by Sargeant so far, he's definitely showing some skill and race pace. The jury is still out on Piastri after all his junior category achievements, but he hung in there with Norris which is saying something. 

• 2 weeks later...