• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Formula 1 Discussion

Morphinity 2.0

He won't leave that much money on the table as you said. Plus he's really hungry for that record so he won't go out before then. I think he's just stay silent intentionally to try and make a point. That and he's always been one for the theatrics (Still I Rise?) and so I'm sure he'll make a dramatic return in Bahrain lol

As for how the season ended, the more I think of it now, it was definitely clumsy and inconsistent. Either they allow all the lapped cars through or better yet, I cannot understand why the race was not redflagged. That would've been the cleanest solution. Masi's reasoning was that he wanted to let them race right? Well what better way than redflagging the race, letting them both get fresh tires, having a standing fucking start to decide the title with one lap to go. It wouldn't have gotten more racier than that. 

To your point, I agree now that red flagging would have been the best option and give them 1-3 laps to finish it off. THAT would have been unreal drama! In the heat of the moment, Masi made the call - I think - under pressure from how long it took to clear the wrecked car from the track so they could go green. I think he thought the race might have ended when the incredible optics of a last lap shootout was possibly going to waste. Was it to F-Ham? I don't think that was the plan at all. They wanted a historic ending - something that would have drawn worldwide attention to the sport. Oh they got that, just not in the way they hoped. 

I agree with Toto's overarching thoughts that consistency should be the overall goal race-to-race. Adjudications of on track incidents have been a bit of a crapshoot of late. Drivers have different styles and VER's 'take no prisoners' approach has rubbed the F1 elite the wrong way.

I think Masi genuinely wanted the race to finish under green, rather than under SC which would've been brutal (except for Mercedes). But that was such a messy crash with so much debris. Everyone knew right away it would take a while to clean up, so I don't know why he didn't red flag it immediately. 

Yeah the application of the rules has been pretty poor this year. Granted Verstappen has taken the liberty to stretch the wording of the rules in a way that we haven't seen in a very long time. But the FIA definitely needs to take a global look at what's considered clean and what's over the line. It's really annoying as a fan to have so many penalties muck up the race result.

• TroCheckmark 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading that the other day but still think it would be way too far fetched. I mean I can see why people would feel that it's a possibility but knowing how Hamilton has been in the past, this guy is way too hungry for records and $$$. I think he's just setting himself up for a big dramatic entrance with this self-imposed silence.

Get Excited for New WWE GIFs! by WWE | GIPHY

Edited by Karan

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 7:30 PM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

After a very long break, it’s good to see F1 still in the discussion around here.  

Bahrain and the first practice day will be very interesting.  I personally cannot see Lewis Hamilton entering a drivers meeting chaired by Michael Masi.  Sure there’s money, and that’s a good reason, I think he committed to help Mercedes with the new cars knowing that his time in them will be short, and that would be a noble and worthwhile reason to stay, but Hamilton, Verstappen, Masi, in that first drivers meeting.  What will that look like?  

@CroftyF1 posted this…”Just for clarity, & I’m not sure the FIA statement is totally clear on this. Pole for the sake of the record books will be awarded on Friday. The person who finishes the sprint in first starts the GP first. (But not on pole, unless of course the Sprint winner also won qualifying)”

WTF is this nonsense!

It's only stupid because F1 counts poles as some sort of record worth meaning. Otherwise, I don't care what they classify as "pole". 

The sprint races are whatever. I think they can be somewhat exciting in situations like Brazil last season where you got to see Hamilton carve his way though the field, but that's not necessarily an effect of the sprint races. I'm in the camp that more racing is actually a good thing, so they don't offend me like they do some other people, but I don't really think they serve their intended purpose as currently constructed. 

Maybe this all changes with the new regs. That is the big question surrounding this season, as expected.

Pole is something the team works extremely hard for, so I think it’s right to award pole for qualifying, even though the sprint determines the grid for the GP.  

As far as the sprint races go, I didn’t enjoy the fact that Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are now all must watch events.  I usually give Friday practice a miss and simply check in online and watch highlights later.  Just my personal preference.  I’m not sure a sprint race is the answer for their problem.  

Edited by Marc

11 hours ago, Morphinity said:

Sure, but looking at this (pre-2022), pole means a whole lot less than it used to (races too of course, but in quali where racecraft really isn't a thing, it means even less):

jsv8uvU-Jj6bhzi_Vf3ORq98Ahc5B8TeyI8neWy8

Certainly means nothing as far as the Grand Prix goes.  But it still signifies the team and driver working to put together a “perfect” lap.  I don’t walk away from it feeling that it’s going to have any impact on the race at all, and I don’t understand why commentators and pundits will note that a team wins pole and fails to convert to a win.  

Monaco comes to mind when thinking about pole advantage and even there, mechanical or mental mistakes can affect outcome. I'm still on the fence with the whole idea of sprint race. To me the risk of damage or injury is too high and for what, 3 races this year? What's the impetus behind this anyway? Sell more tickets on the weekend? Add drama? Don't get me wrong, I like those things but I think the big spectacle should remain the Sunday show.

Here are a few goofy ideas to add 'stuff' to the weekend that would help the drivers and give the rest of us something to watch:

1. Fastest pit stop. Teams compete for the fastest 4-tire change at every race weekend. The benefit is obvious and the downside? None.

2. Fastest pit straight speed, then shortest stopping distance. Picture a drag race from the beginning of the pit straight to the start/finish line, then immense breaking. A combination of highest speed and shortest stopping distance wins.

3. Technical skill. I'm thinking about something that mimics the ice skating or skiing competition event where you have to be precise. Using the main straight, establish a series of 'soft' pylons that require quick slalom-like maneuvers over a set distance. Fastest time wins.

Add 1-point to each event above with the first one gaining a 'constructor's point' and you might just spice things up a bit. Too goofy?

Yeah I don’t know about that.  It doesn’t go towards my taste that’s for sure but for others it might be the ticket.

I have always questioned qualifying and it’s validity over the season.  If I was the decision maker in F1 I’d make it so that you have 3 practice sessions, then you have “the perfect lap” competition.  I think adding points for this would be an inspiration to the teams, and I think it would make it necessary because…

… I have always been of the opinion that your starting position in the next Grand Prix should be where you finished the last Grand Prix. 

My primary reason for that is that it becomes one long race in stages.  You become Champion.  That’s more valid in terms of “season” to me.  A hockey teams fight for the championship doesn’t “reset” for every stage.  You’re as good as your last result.  Now, you could finish the race in last place but qualifying means you’re potentially as good as your last lap.  If the best or dominant car is in a collision or has a failure, that will cost the team a race and a start.  It instantly becomes more competitive and gives others opportunities.  

I haven’t convinced many people that this is worthwhile, mostly because people don’t take the time to understand.  I even had someone comment because they thought I meant the same track for every race (🤷🏻‍♂️).  No, I simply want the teams to be seen as as good as their last result.  If they’ve made improvements to the car and feel confident, well now they get to really prove it.  They may not get to first, or even a podium, but this will give a competitor and opportunity and they get to to 5 and the next race they get to compete again.

it seems so logical to me.  And I’ve had people tell me I’m absolutely crazy.  Dems da breaks.  

Pole position is an extremely important and prestigious stat in the history of F1. While it's largely team performance dependent, it's still held in high regard for drivers that are able to dominate over a single lap.

The sprint race has been a gimmick since the beginning that they've been trying to push down the throats of the fans just for more ratings. If you pause and think about it, the sprint race is effectively starting the grand prix on Saturday afternoon. Red flagging it after 30%. Allowing an overnight pitstop to change tires and top up the fuel. And then resume the race on Sunday afternoon. Nothing more.

Now if they really wanted the sprint race to be what the original intent was (to spice up the weekend), they should've done it similar to F2, where the sprint race was reverse order of Friday qualifying. Just imagine how much more entertaining and exciting that would've been, not to mention mixing up the grid for Sunday's race, in case some of the top runners got tripped up trying to overtake slower cars on Saturday. Until then it's just going to be a pointless gimmick. Although I guess at the end of the day I don't mind seeing more racing action on a weekend. It just needs to be better executed.

15 hours ago, Karan said:

Nice, DTS S4 coming out March 11! This should be a good one. 

I’m sure curiosity will get the better of me, but Season 3 DTS had me falling asleep.  It’ll be interesting to see how they handle the drama.  I don’t want to watch a soap opera.