• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Formula 1 Discussion

Morphinity 2.0

Agree Morph that it would be good for the sport if we saw plenty of people on the podium. Seemed to me, and I could be wrong, that there were more laps early on where the field was still pretty much together. Last year I seem to recall that by lap 3-4 the race started taking on the appearance of a marathon with cars trailing one another with big gaps. Let's see what this looks like in race 5 or 6 where teams should begin to find solutions and tweak their competitive setup.

5 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

It's not impossible to overcome, but it's not likely. Last driver to win the Championship after failing to score points in the first race of the season was Hamilton in 2014. But to do that, he finished no lower than P3 in the 16 races he finished and only retired in 3 of the other ones. And I think the hope with the new regulations is there's no dominance like that. 

It makes Verstappen's life much harder for sure cause you know Ferrari and Mercedes will be regularly within the points, so closing that deficit could take a few months. But Red Bull's race pace looked ominous in testing so all it would take is for Verstappen to reel off 3-4 straight wins, which I think is completely doable for him, and he'll be right back in the championship lead.

I don't know if it's just me but I don't see his hopes being dashed at all. I feel like this season will be reminiscent of 2012 where we had like a multitude of winners in the first half and no one really escaped with the championship lead. Leclerc is ultra fast but prone to mistakes and inconsistency. I think Sainz will take quite a few points off him. Similarly, Perez looks quick enough this year to mix it up at the top and will take points off the leaders too. Once Russell gets up to speed, I think he's going to mix it in with Hamilton too. The point being, no clear cut championship favorite in my mind. Thus, once Red Bull sort out their reliability issues, there'll be more than enough time for Verstappen to get back into the hunt. 23 race calendar too, this one's going to be a marathon. 

Edited by Karan
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

This rumour is kind of old news but sounds like it's close to being firmed up. Not sure how I feel about this. From what I've read looks like it'll be an airport/parking lot style circuit. Not exactly the most inspiring setting. Also I get that they're really trying to infiltrate the US market but feels like 3 races might be getting a bit oversaturated. Would much rather see some classic venues like Mugello, Portimao or even Sepang get a permanent spot on the calendar.

I agree with Las Vegas NOT being that exciting as a new venue. Three USA races? It could become a norm in 2-3 years if HAAS becomes Andretti owned and interest here, grows. Watkins Glen would be a wonderful re-boot but there no hotels there and certainly not enough ‘jet set’ amenities like dining, shopping, nightlife. Big hype for Miami but what am I missing? The course layout doesn’t grab me. Admittedly I have to take a closer look since it’s been a while. Vietnam still a consideration?

Lastly, talk of a 30 race calendar. I love F1 but it seems a bit much. I’m concerned for everyone except the drivers and team principals. Being part of the F1 circus is a huge commitment of travel and time away from family. What did Toto say in DTS - that he spent 225 nights in a hotel? While other team members might not have that amount themselves, it’s still quite a lot. Maybe 2 breaks allows it to work? Thoughts?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:34 AM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

I agree with Las Vegas NOT being that exciting as a new venue. Three USA races? It could become a norm in 2-3 years if HAAS becomes Andretti owned and interest here, grows. Watkins Glen would be a wonderful re-boot but there no hotels there and certainly not enough ‘jet set’ amenities like dining, shopping, nightlife. Big hype for Miami but what am I missing? The course layout doesn’t grab me. Admittedly I have to take a closer look since it’s been a while. Vietnam still a consideration?

Lastly, talk of a 30 race calendar. I love F1 but it seems a bit much. I’m concerned for everyone except the drivers and team principals. Being part of the F1 circus is a huge commitment of travel and time away from family. What did Toto say in DTS - that he spent 225 nights in a hotel? While other team members might not have that amount themselves, it’s still quite a lot. Maybe 2 breaks allows it to work? Thoughts?

As a global location for a once yearly sporting event, Las Vegas seems completely obvious.  More obvious than Miami in my opinion.  

The idea of 30 races a year comes with so many questions.  There’s obvious logistical questions.  But before floating ideas like a 30 race schedule, doesn’t Formula 1 have to get a real sense that this bump in popularity is going to be a lasting one?  Forgive me if I’m not completely correct about this but I saw a headline yesterday that Domenicalli and DTS producers were going to be having a meeting regarding them overly using their poetic license and hyping rivalries.  With the current champion saying that “F1 is not the Kardashians”.  If you’re intending to promote 30 races a year, then fierce rivalries, real or hyped, are likely to be the only reliable force in getting people to subscribe and watch.  Just one thought.  

Wow that was an intense qualifying...SERGIO PEREZ get in there! Nice to see him get his first ever pole position. But the top 4 are so closely matched, any one of them could take the race win tomorrow. 
That crash for poor Mick was absolutely violent, so glad he's physically okay though. Real testament to the design of these new cars. Doubt he'll be racing tomorrow though, that chassis is a total write-off.

Highlight of qualifying was definitely Hamilton getting punted in Q1. 😂

18 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Farg! I've been working all day and haven't check updates. Must DVR race due to a rare company meeting on Sunday. I'll catch the news here or watch at night. Glad to see Perez get rewarded.

Sorry about the spoilers man! Enjoy the race today 👍

Yeah would've loved to have seen Leclerc bring home the win today but Verstappen was just a tad quicker today. Also seemed like Leclerc's tire deg was quite severe in that final stint. Still it's great to see Ferrari competitive once again and I'm starting to believe they legit have a car that's championship worthy. Also Verstappen was really getting on my nerves today complaining about Leclerc's tail light, then crossing the pitlane entry line, then closing up behind up...for fuck's sake. I feel like Leclerc being able to stay much more calm/cool will give him a psychological advantage if he can stay in the championship fight.

Tough for Perez to lose out on a podium after starting on pole, SC timing cost him today, but these things balance out over the course of the season.

And what a battle that was between Ocon and Alonso...damn the team must've been on the edge of their seats. 

Can't wait for the re-designed Melbourne! Should be a lot more flowing and setup a few more passes.

Felt like shit for Checo. I think if he stays out one more lap before pitting he ends up winning. Just bad luck. I think he'll get more chances.

Really hoping McLaren can figure their shit out in time for Ricciardo to actually do something relevant in his home race. This has been such a brutal start to a season with some high expectations. 

On 3/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Felt like shit for Checo. I think if he stays out one more lap before pitting he ends up winning. Just bad luck. I think he'll get more chances.

Really hoping McLaren can figure their shit out in time for Ricciardo to actually do something relevant in his home race. This has been such a brutal start to a season with some high expectations. 

It’s really bummed me out.  Lando’s post race interview was heartbreaking.  So much expectation just gone up in smoke.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

A little more reason for optimism this morning.  Will be an interesting race tomorrow, looking forward to it. 

Leclerc has elevated his driving to another level this season, it's really impressive to see. Very few mistakes, pinpoint accuracy and ability to deliver that magic lap just when needed. If Ferrari can keep up with the development race, and solid reliability, I see no reason why Leclerc isn't ready to win his 1st championship. 

Edited by Karan

Very impressive by Charles and his Ferrari.  I know it’s normal to split your strategies but confused as to why Ferrari put Carlos on hards starting from 10th.  That made no sense.  Very good race for Mercedes, and my optimism for McLaren continues despite Lando’s post-race comments.

That race was an absolute clinic by Leclerc...wow. Very Schumacher-esque performance by him. He really looks poised and ready to get into a championship battle.

Huge setback for Red Bull and Verstappen with his 2nd reliability based retirement. Ouch, that deficit is now going to be extremely hard to claw back with Leclerc/Ferrari looking so ominous at various kinds of circuits.

Mercedes, for all their testing struggles, have really impressed to be best-of-the-rest and pick up the points when the top 4 struggle. If they find some speed with their upgrade packages, they're going to be really dangerous. It's a long season.

A solid bounce back race for McLaren but I would tend to agree with Lando's post-race comments. The car they ran is exactly the same as in Bahrain, this circuit just suited them more. Imola will probably be a harder venue for them. They're still firmly in that mid-field battle with Mercedes and Alpine, but I doubt they'll be bothering Ferrari/Red Bull anytime soon. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.highlights-watch-the-action-from-a-thrilling-2022-australian-grand-prix.6LAfaKSdPctPaN84Fz904w.html

I watched these highlights and lap 27 restart was hairy - VER was really pushing LEC. Ferrari and LEC certainly having a moment. I read a quote from him that said he really doesn’t feel pressure. If true, he’s going to be headed to a championship as long as equipment doesn’t fail him. McClaren had a favorable track and good for them. Mercedes won’t be held back all season. Glad the cost cap hits them too. Instead of throwing unlimited $$ at a solution, they have to correct incrementally like everyone else. VER? Oh-boy.