• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Formula 1 Discussion

Morphinity 2.0

Ferrari Subs for Sainz at the last minute P3

Ferrari boss Fred Vasseur has shared further details on the “late call” made to Oliver Bearman to replace the unwell Carlos Sainz on Friday at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, with the teenager informed just hours before jumping into the car for the first time.

Sainz had skipped media duties on Wednesday but returned to action for Thursday’s practice sessions. The Spaniard later described how the day had been his “toughest” in an F1 car to date.

I hope the kid scores points. 

Driver of the day? BEArman doing a great job considering the circumstances. Currently P10 lap 19/50. 👍🏻

Damn! The kid nailed it. Very strong showing for BEA. Getting plenty of praise from others and rightly so. 

Australia next. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank

Bearman Made His Mark

Oliver Bearman wowed the F1 paddock at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix with a spectacular substitute performance in place of the unwell Carlos Sainz at Ferrari, adding a fresh dimension to the start of the 2024 season and putting himself firmly in the mix for a full-time seat next year.

Just one week earlier, the 18-year-old Ferrari starlet had been languishing towards the back of the F2 pack alongside team mate and highly-rated Mercedes junior Andrea Kimi Antonelli – their Prema squad struggling to make an impression around the Bahrain International Circuit.

Man, the gap between the front running teams is just too big at the moment. Red Bull, particularly Max are off by themselves. With Ferrari a distant second. And then another gap down to McLaren/Mercedes/Aston Martin. Luckily, K-Mag's feisty elbows out defending and Bearman's heroics gave us something to watch, otherwise both the races have been snoozefests, particularly up front. 

What a debut by Bearman though, especially on such a challenging track. Since I saw this kid last season, he just seems to have this self confidence where he seems at ease in F1 and doesn't appear intimidated by the cars. And with that Jeddah performance, I'd be shocked if he isn't in a Haas next season.

• Bullseye 1

5 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Finally figured out how to post my ride for F1 Montreal. 

What a beauty! Those F-Types have a mean sounding exhaust. Where are you going to be sitting?

Step up From F2 to F1 is real.

Given the lack of testing in modern Formula 1, it’s arguably never been more difficult for rookies to make the step up to the top category – and 18-year-old Oliver Bearman was thrown in at the deep end last weekend when he was called up by Ferrari at the last minute to deputise for Carlos Sainz.

GP2 champion Jolyon Palmer knows what it’s like to step up to Formula 1 from the second tier – and explains here the challenge Bearman faced in Jeddah…

Helluva job! 

On 3/14/2024 at 2:42 AM, Karan said:

Where are you going to be sitting?

Thx bud - we’re enjoying the ride. The active exhaust is fun too. Pretty solid sound. 

We’re sitting just past the first turn - hoping to look up the straight to the Start/Finish line. Section 11-6. We’re going to arrive Friday morning and take it all in. My son is 24 and we are more than psyched for this. You going too?

The last time I was there in ‘84 we sat at the hairpin. That was pretty cool too seeing the cars flying with vapor trails then slowing into that turn. 

On 3/16/2024 at 3:11 PM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Thx bud - we’re enjoying the ride. The active exhaust is fun too. Pretty solid sound. 

We’re sitting just past the first turn - hoping to look up the straight to the Start/Finish line. Section 11-6. We’re going to arrive Friday morning and take it all in. My son is 24 and we are more than psyched for this. You going too?

The last time I was there in ‘84 we sat at the hairpin. That was pretty cool too seeing the cars flying with vapor trails then slowing into that turn. 

Beautiful machine! I'm sure it's a blast on some twisty winding mountain roads especially.

I think I know the stand you'll be in, I walked the track when I was in Montreal last year. You should have a great view of the pitlane exit, S/F straight and Turn 1. Lots of action down into that corner so should be fun. Unfortunately not this year, actually I've never been to the Canadian GP but it's on my bucket list for sure. Will definitely make it happen in the next year or two.

Photo5417.jpg

Enjoy the Aus GP! If it's anywhere near as eventful as last year, should be decent. Just hoping for some misfortune for Verstappen so that we actually have a fight for the lead for once.

Thx for the pic - great to see we should have a good view. (I sat at the hairpin 35 years ago.) It would have been cool meeting you at the track. 

LEC was leading the parade at the end of FP2…then Quali happened. Yeah, we need a Red Bulls mishap. Or for Ferrari to continue stepping up. Let’s go!

Yes! Finally some misfortune for Verstappen...it happened! And for once Ferrari didn't shoot themselves in the foot. Sainz has been absolutely incredible in his return. Gotta wonder if Ferrari is starting to have buyer's remorse in letting him go. 

A bit surprised to see Alonso got a penalty for slowing prior to a corner apex in order to maximize the exit speed, knowing he would be vulnerable to Russell on the straight. Russell went in too hot, lost front end downforce and spun off. But is that really Alonso's fault? It's not like Russell had to take avoiding action. If he did, then I'd be all for Alonso getting a penalty. But if executed safely, I think it's a bad precedent by the FIA trying to police how drivers should defend positions. Need to keep that aspect of racing pure and organic.

• Bullseye 1

• 3 weeks later...

ALO is going to drive until he's 100! Chatter abounds concerning Vettel returning to F1 - maybe with Mercedes? IDK if I see that since MB has a young gun (Antonelli) in the wings that will get plenty of seat time this year. He drove the 2021 car recently and will get a go at the 2022 over the summer.

Agree about the potential for Seller's remorse at Ferrari. Is it just SAI or has Ferrari given him a more competitive car? 

On a different racing note, do you guys watch IMSA? I went to 6-hours at Watkins Glen last year and am likely to take it in again this year. Watching mixed classes on-track at once is pretty wild. The hybrids are impressively quick when you think that the GTP car going past would be a very, very fun drive.  

• 2 weeks later...

Missed the China GP entirely as we were 'funning' in NYC all weekend for my son's 25th B-day. I watched highlights and see that it was another ho-hum win for Red Bull. SAI & LEC made a good showing but even their good effort was bested by McLaren. Begrudgingly applaud RB for getting this formula right. Was it due to their extra wind tunnel time a couple of years ago? Maybe it was then but I don't think it carries much advantage today.

What was STR thinking? Clearly ruined the Honey Badger's otherwise promising weekend. Ooooof!

Horner throwing shade at Wolff is funny trackside drama. I doubt we'll see VER jump to MB anytime soon...unless they throw uber-stank amount of cash his way.

^That's huge news. Can he put Scuderia over the top? I'd be glad if he joined the Tifosi. 

I've seen articles saying that Newey 'could leave' if Horner was going to leave. Wonder what Newey knows about that whole situation. Is Horner getting canned? Why all the scuttlebutt about VER leaving too? Where there's smoke there is at least heat.

F1 drama never disappoints. *smh*