• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Formula 1 Discussion

Morphinity 2.0

Yeah that was a pretty decent race I have to say, although qualifying was super exciting and a nailbiter right down to the wire.

What an incredible job McLaren have done with their B-spec car though. But I think it will be track specific i.e. high speed tracks only. So they might struggle at low speed circuits. Still, a huge improvement from the start of the reason. It could be a 4-way fight for best-of-the-rest between Aston Martin, Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren.

Ferrari continue to shoot themselves in the foot with disastrous strategies and operational issues on Sunday. I honestly don't know how Leclerc and Sainz aren't completely losing their minds going backwards every Sunday. 

“I am stoked to be back on track with the Red Bull family!” said Ricciardo of his new posting, after impressing in his Silverstone test.
"I’m very pleased to welcome Daniel back into the team,” commented Franz Tost,  AlphaTauri Team Principal. “There’s no doubt about his driving skills, and he already knows many of us, so his integration will be easy and straight forward. The team will also profit a lot from his experience, as he is an eight-time Formula 1 Grand Prix winner."

RIC is back in F1 car!

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank

Incredibly harsh for an F2 and FE champ to be given only half a season to perform in a shitty ass car. Typical Marko operating policy though...

But I feel like this is less about Nyck and more of a political game by Marko to 1) Apply pressure on Perez and keep him on the hot seat if Ricciardo does well at AT and 2) Evaluate Tsunoda against an experienced driver and see if it's worth keeping him or dumping him for another Red Bull junior driver.

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo...RIC had a strong showing for himself without reeling from a shunt or embarrassing gaff. Glad for Daniel! Did you see the start with everyone owning HAM like a cheap date? OOOooofff that must have been frustrating in the car. McLaren is really starting to come on following a 180-degree turn in the development of their car. They are beginning to make some consistent noise at the front of the grid. Maranello continues with the clown car antics. I really feel for LEC and SAI. Stop development this year and focus 110% on next year's car? IDK I cannot see them just throwing in the towel but enough already. 

• 1 month later...

Well, so much for Ricciardo's much hyped return. Looks like he'll be on the shelf for a month or so. My guess is he'll miss Monza and Singapore. Suzuka seems like the optimistic return but likely Qatar. This is what he had feared originally. That if Lawson got the AT seat over him, that he'd impress and completely take him out of the running for 2024, which might still be the case. 

As for Ferrari, my God could this team get anymore operationally bad? Change in management, and they still can't get setups right or race strategy/pitstops. And Leclerc is starting to look pretty overrated. The guy reminds me a bit of Gilles Villeneuve or even Jean Alesi. Wildly fast on a single lap but too erratic to mount a serious championship battle, and I'm starting to believe he's not mentally enough to handle the pressure cooker of Ferrari. 

5 hours ago, Karan said:

Well, so much for Ricciardo's much hyped return. Looks like he'll be on the shelf for a month or so. My guess is he'll miss Monza and Singapore. Suzuka seems like the optimistic return but likely Qatar. This is what he had feared originally. That if Lawson got the AT seat over him, that he'd impress and completely take him out of the running for 2024, which might still be the case. 

As for Ferrari, my God could this team get anymore operationally bad? Change in management, and they still can't get setups right or race strategy/pitstops. And Leclerc is starting to look pretty overrated. The guy reminds me a bit of Gilles Villeneuve or even Jean Alesi. Wildly fast on a single lap but too erratic to mount a serious championship battle, and I'm starting to believe he's not mentally enough to handle the pressure cooker of Ferrari. 

• 2 months later...

Las Vegas? Winning show or BS? 

Reading VER’s comments leading up to the race I thought “meh.” Watched it last night and I was genuinely happy with the race. My boy LEC with a wonderful overtake of PER on the final lap to secure P2! 

SAI got totally fucked by the grid penalty for a track issue. WTF? Not right. 

Good show albeit a very expensive show. Even with ticket prices plummeting this past week, it would have still been a costly event

to attend. I figured $5,000 to fly, stay and watch Saturday. Hmmmm…

• 1 month later...

So, Steiner is finally out at Haas. Gene seems to have come out swinging publicly saying he doesn't want to be 10th anymore and basically throwing Steiner under the bus. Now he probably wasn't the root cause of their issues but like in hockey, sometimes you just need a change of voice behind the bench to get the team to respond. And it's saying something that Steiner seems to be best known for his "starring role in DTS" 😄 Good riddance, not going to miss him having him around...

• 3 weeks later...

So, Hamilton will be in red starting in 2025. Definitely didn't see that coming. He seemed so cemented in Mercedes and looked to finish his career out there. 

Edited by Karan

Unbelievable news. MB just seemed to get their contracts sorted and now this? Maybe he saw the new car and said, “Nah.” IDK other than at some point, everyone wants to drive for the red team. 

Bummer for SAI as he was a great mate and fast too. The car wasn’t up to par for him or LEC. I’m not happy with how they kind of hung Carlos out there but then again, this is a big boy sport. Changes happen. 

Huge Q of course - who gets the MB seat next? Could it be one of the boys from McLaren? Does RIC get a look? How about the return of VET? The usual silly-season erupting over the summer break is well under way now. 

BTW - what are your thoughts about Madrid? I watched a simulator run last night and some parts are intriguing like the long sweeping run turning right, but other areas seem to be a bit constricted. 

Steiner? Haas? Did Gene spend enough? Looking at his company numbers, I don’t see how he could invest at the level F1 demands for podium success. Sponsors help but you need infinity deep pockets even with the spending cap. 

Is Hass going to be the entryway for Andretti? 2028 is a long way off. 

16 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Unbelievable news. MB just seemed to get their contracts sorted and now this? Maybe he saw the new car and said, “Nah.” IDK other than at some point, everyone wants to drive for the red team. 

Bummer for SAI as he was a great mate and fast too. The car wasn’t up to par for him or LEC. I’m not happy with how they kind of hung Carlos out there but then again, this is a big boy sport. Changes happen. 

Huge Q of course - who gets the MB seat next? Could it be one of the boys from McLaren? Does RIC get a look? How about the return of VET? The usual silly-season erupting over the summer break is well under way now. 

BTW - what are your thoughts about Madrid? I watched a simulator run last night and some parts are intriguing like the long sweeping run turning right, but other areas seem to be a bit constricted. 

Yeah as Wolff said the timing of this announcement if surprising. They had only just firmed up the 2-year extension not too long ago. My guess is that Ferrari (who've been pursuing Hamilton for years now), made a much stronger pitch over the winter with an offer he couldn't refuse. I'm sure Mercedes lack of progress had something to do with it too. With this being a multi-year contract with Ferrari, I'm sure Hamilton wants to get settled into the team in 2025 and hope they build a rocket ship for the 2026 rule change.

Yeah agree with you about Sainz. I can't help but feel that Ferrari is letting go the wrong driver. He was just coming into his own and seemed more mentally stronger and less mistake prone than Leclerc. I can see him mounting a title run, not Leclerc yet though. But he's a very capable driver and I'm sure he'll find a good seat. I'm hearing Audi will be targeting him for when they take over Sauber in 2026. Gotta wonder how this makes Leclerc feel. He's supposed to be the poster boy for the team, but now Ferrari are bringing in outside help to secure a championship? 

The 2024 silly season just got a whole lot interesting on who fills that second Mercedes seat. I mean, the options are endless considering how easy it is to get out of a contract in F1 nowadays. But here's my shortlist:

- Albon: Mercedes are going to want someone experienced enough to keep Russell honest, but also quick enough to win when Russell isn't on form. Albon ticks all these boxes and seems ready for a top team seat. Plus, Mercedes may have some pull given they supply engines to Williams.

- Schumacher: This would be an easy decision from Toto, to promote him after 2 years as a reserve driver. I think Mick deserves a second shot in F1 too and see what he's really capable of.

- Vesti: If Mercedes want to go with a rookie, they could go with F2 runner-up Vesti who did a few FP1s this year and was pretty solid in F2. I've heard Antonelli's name thrown around but I think that's just a silly fan rumour. The kid is only 17 and just entering F2. I can't see a top team like Mercedes tossing him into a race seat, over Mick and Vesti.

- Perez: His spot in Red Bull seems to constantly be in threat. And if Red Bull want to put in Tsunoda/Ricciardo alongside Max for 2025, then Perez could be a perfect #2 driver to Russell. 

I don't see either of the McLaren boys ending up with Mercedes. I'm pretty sure Toto has had his eye on them, but they've both locked in long term extensions. 

Vettel is another very juicy prospect. Could be a good experienced driver to backup Russell, show him the championship mentality. Speaking of older experienced drivers, just throwing this out there, but what about Alonso...?

Almost forgot about ALO - he’s certainly talented enough and just needs a great car underneath him. But that could be said about all of the drivers you mentioned. ALB deserves a serious consideration but so does Mick. Geez, these are tough decisions. Hopefully a fun season ahead. 

• 3 weeks later...

2024 Testing Summary

Ferrari topped the timesheets on the final day of pre-season testing in Bahrain – but it was Red Bull that had everyone talking after they completed another silky-smooth day that left their rivals in no doubt they remain the ones to beat in 2024. But did Day 3 give us any signs the chasing pack can give the reigning world champions some grief across a record-breaking 2024 calendar?

Testing Summary

It feels like the winter break was just an extended break between race 22 and 23 of the 2023 season. Can't believe the teams went away and came back with new designs/concepts and the pecking order and gap is still mostly the same. Such a snoozer of a race apart from some spicy shenanigans between Ricciardo and Tsunoda after the race 😂

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4BnKUqMpru/

• LMFAO 1