• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

When we're talking about retention, we're talking about three items:

1 - When are we taking the dead cap hit?

2 - How much?

3 - What's the incentive for retaining?

"Being rid" of ADA is not enough of an incentive. The plan for this year included him from the jump, and the buyout cost is nominal. How much we retain will be 100% about the return coming to the Rangers.

• Like 1

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Tony D thing honestly makes me sad. Kid is loaded with talent and could have helped us if he could keep his anger in check. Honestly his political beliefs didnt bother me since I share many of the same beliefs BUT he obviously has maturity issues and anger issues that he needs to fix otherwise he won’t last in the NHL. Personally I felt it was BS that he was benched after the first game BUT he handled it the wrong way. He should have just moved past it and focused In the next game but like Gorton said he just wouldn’t let it go and led to a bigger issue. So I’m glad this was at least handled swiftly even though it was ugly. I have no ill will toward the kid but this was something that had to be done
  • Like 1

When we're talking about retention, we're talking about three items:

1 - When are we taking the dead cap hit?

2 - How much?

3 - What's the incentive for retaining?

"Being rid" of ADA is not enough of an incentive. The plan for this year included him from the jump, and the buyout cost is nominal. How much we retain will be 100% about the return coming to the Rangers.

Yes, yes, and yes, which is why I don't think he's actually getting traded, because the incentives are incongruous between the Rangers and any team I can think of trading for him given the radioactivity he's emitting. Anyone taking him on right now inherits an insane Geiger count and will immediately be backed into a corner of having to explain why the hell you just traded for him. That's made significantly worse if you can't mitigate it by saying that you took him on in addition to X/Y/Z assets that benefit your future. Very similar to the manner in which the Rangers picked him up in the first place (along with the 7th overall pick). The Rangers aren't going to want to take on more losses here, either, so why would they even entertain this? Are they really going to give up on futures just to be rid of him earlier, or to save $900K three years from now? Seems to strain credulity to me.

The simplest solution — and you know I'm a fan of this particular style of razor ;) — is sending him home for a buyout this summer and him using that time to rehabilitate his image as best he can in the hopes he can convince someone in the NHL that not just his talent, but his rehabilitated image is worth the risk of bringing him in.

The whole Tony D thing honestly makes me sad. Kid is loaded with talent and could have helped us if he could keep his anger in check. Honestly his political beliefs didnt bother me since I share many of the same beliefs BUT he obviously has maturity issues and anger issues that he needs to fix otherwise he won’t last in the NHL. Personally I felt it was BS that he was benched after the first game BUT he handled it the wrong way. He should have just moved past it and focused In the next game but like Gorton said he just wouldn’t let it go and led to a bigger issue. So I’m glad this was at least handled swiftly even though it was ugly. I have no ill will toward the kid but this was something that had to be done

But again its not a one time thing. It wasn't a guy with no history slamming the dorm and yelling at the ref. It was a guy with a history of mouthing off and abusing the officials that was told to knock it off or there would be consequences. He didn't knock it off and got scratched. Then the GM told him he has one more shot or there would be consequences......

Tony's mouth is his worst enemy. I'm sure very few people have ill will towards him. Everyone would be fine with him if he just kept his mouth shut and played hockey.

But again its not a one time thing. It wasn't a guy with no history slamming the dorm and yelling at the ref. It was a guy with a history of mouthing off and abusing the officials that was told to knock it off or there would be consequences. He didn't knock it off and got scratched. Then the GM told him he has one more shot or there would be consequences......

Tony's mouth is his worst enemy. I'm sure very few people have ill will towards him. Everyone would be fine with him if he just kept his mouth shut and played hockey.

Never said it was one thing. I know it was multiple incidents

You have spent a fair amount of time talking about Quinn being such a weak coach that he has lost the room. Yet, when Quinn (by your own narrative) uses the tools available to him to increase his control of the room by cutting out its most disruptive and divisive element, he's a "tattletale," somehow not manly enough to ... do what?

This team needs to get on a new page that is more focused and disciplined but quick. If Quinn being a tattletale achieves that, sounds like the right move to me. Time will tell, but - if last night is an indication - so far, so good.

With or without DeAngelo, this team is not focused and is having a seriously hard time getting back to where they were when the pandemic stuck. That's fact. DeAngelo scratched got them a win against a team that is losing more than the Rangers. The next game they got their asses handed to them . They DO NOT LOOK GOOD and haven't for quite some time. Is that on DeAngelo or the coach?

I'm not sure what you're talking about with my tattletale comment. "Not manly enough to.... do what?"

What are we talking about here?

But you're not necessarily accounting for them if you're continuing to react to his benching as a singular event. The entire frame work of "I felt it was BS that he was benched after the first game," rejects all the disciplinary history that preceded it, even if you didn't intend to.

If anything, it was a microcosm of the reason he's never playing for the Rangers again. He wasn't actually benched after the first game for taking a poor penalty in the same way that fighting Georgiev alone isn't the sole reason he'll never play a game for the Rangers again. His entire professional life to this point is a lesson in cumulative effect.

Never said it was one thing. I know it was multiple incidents

But to say that the benching after the first game was BS is with no knowledge of anything that happened in training camp or what the actual succession of events was. Yes, all things being equal, it was pretty severe. But we don't know that all things were equal.

to the Tony apologists and hangers-on:

Using only the facts that we know to be true (benched for two games and provoked a fight with a teammate less than two weeks later), why you want to keep him around? Is it strictly based on last year's point totals or is it something else?

50+ points and triggers the Libs. Those are my honest to goodness reasons. Great reasons, too, I might add. It's an entertainment business, and he entertained me.

I was also totally on board with moving him, as even if he was a total angel, there didn't seem to be a long term fit. It's not really so much that he's gone, it's that he's gone, they put the work in with him, he produced fantastically, received Norris votes, and they still don't get anything useful out if it, indeed, they hang another sunk cap number around their neck.

They could turn this frown upside down if they swapped him for Bennett. If there's a city that agrees with Tony Deangelo, it's probably Calgary, Alberta.

• Like 1

Using only the facts that we know to be true (benched for two games and provoked a fight with a teammate less than two weeks later), why you want to keep him around? Is it strictly based on last year's point totals or is it something else?

I mean lol dude. Do you believe that every time one teammate has criticizing words it’s provoking a physical altercation? If that were true, 3/4 of the Rangers over the last 10 years would have pummeled Henrik or at the very least shaved his hair by force. Shit happens man and it happened with a guy that was on a short leash with a history especially with Georgiev if rumors are true. Why not just let it go? We all have different opinions of these “facts.”

Think it’s time to move on here.

50+ points and triggers the Libs. Those are my honest to goodness reasons. Great reasons, too, I might add. It's an entertainment business, and he entertained me.

I was also totally on board with moving him, as even if he was a total angel, there didn't seem to be a long term fit. It's not really so much that he's gone, it's that he's gone, they put the work in with him, he produced fantastically, received Norris votes, and they still don't get anything useful out if it, indeed, they hang another sunk cap number around their neck.

They could turn this frown upside down if they swapped him for Bennett. If there's a city that agrees with Tony Deangelo, it's probably Calgary, Alberta.

Funny enough, if a deal could be had, that's exactly the one I think has some merit.

I mean lol dude. Do you believe that every time one teammate has criticizing words it’s provoking a physical altercation? If that were true, 3/4 of the Rangers over the last 10 years would have pummeled Henrik or at the very least shaved his hair by force. Shit happens man and it happened with a guy that was on a short leash with a history especially with Georgiev if rumors are true. Why not just let it go? We all have different opinions of these “facts.”

Need to stop looking at ADA as "one teammate". He's a special case.

Need to stop looking at ADA as "one teammate". He's a special case.

He is yeah. I just think he’s a loud mouth bonehead and like most, his bark is bigger than his bite. Maybe we find out one day he really had Tourette’s. But anyway, we don’t know if he said “make a save ya sieve” or something a bit more (probably). Common sense opinion says if he got Georgiev to throw a punch it was pretty bad but we don’t actually know much at all except a comment made Georgiev throw a punch. And now he’s gone and I’m tired of all of us trying to convince each other to think whatever each individual thinks lol

With or without DeAngelo, this team is not focused and is having a seriously hard time getting back to where they were when the pandemic stuck. That's fact. DeAngelo scratched got them a win against a team that is losing more than the Rangers. The next game they got their asses handed to them . They DO NOT LOOK GOOD and haven't for quite some time. Is that on DeAngelo or the coach?

I'm not sure what you're talking about with my tattletale comment. "Not manly enough to.... do what?"

What are we talking about here?

I don't know what you're talking about. If the shortest route to clean up the dressing room is to let Gorton know that Tony started a fight, why does being a "tattletale" have anything to do with it. Quinn is doing his job. What should he have done? Challenged ADA to duke it out on the loading dock? The effort to make this all Quinn's fault falls pretty flat for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I mean... this whole thing exists because DeAngelo got into a fight with Georgiev. I assumed we all knew that.

You still didn't answer the question. Why do you want him here?

I mean... this whole thing exists because DeAngelo got into a fight with Georgiev. I assumed we all knew that.

You still didn't answer the question. Why do you want him here?

Getting into a fight and saying he provoked it are different things, at least in my opinion. As I said, teammates have words. It’s quite common actually. It’s different because it’s ADA and there’s history and what we know now. Tbh, I’ve said a ton on this board me feelings on ADA plus a very long post on it today on the topic. I don’t know tovto answer it any further.

Folks, there's a new thread specifically for trade talk that's been opened. Talk of trade should go there. If you still want to discuss the incident, Tony's past, whatever, that should go here. Let's keep those conversations separate if we can. Thanks.

As I poiout elsewhere. Fights within a team happen often. Kypreos and Maclean said it was more common than people think. Listed many locations of where they happen. Team dinners, parking lots, hotels... Can we stop acting like the guy did something so out of place with getting punched for a dig?

Benched for two games for showing emotion and bitching about shityy refs? When did this type of stuff become these almighty sins? I WANT players to show emotion and not take shit from refs. Are we forgetting how one sided they were that game? The guy was liked in the locker room. I found his jokes and post game mic work in the locker room as something that binds teams. He had leadership qualities in that he WOULD argue with refs. He WOULD stand up for team mates. He WOULD take over the game late and down by a goal. He was part of a pretty exciting offense.

In the end, I think he was too young and unproven to act the way he did. With all these "terrible" things he's done the last 3 years, if you took his name out of it and replaced with an established vet or former captain, this isn't an issue at all. If Callahan slammed a penalty box door. Its intangibles. If Brad Richard's or McD make a comment about a bad play to a player its leadership. If Avery has an off ice persona, he's a god... If Lundqvist blames his D for blowing coverage he's a King..

I feel that a lot of people couldn't get past his political views and that really drove their dislike of a young rising player and that voice and hatred traveled its way up the complaint department at MSG.

• Like 2

As I poiout elsewhere. Fights within a team happen often. Kypreos and Maclean said it was more common than people think. Listed many locations of where they happen. Team dinners, parking lots, hotels... Can we stop acting like the guy did something so out of place with getting punched for a dig?

Benched for two games for showing emotion and bitching about shityy refs? When did this type of stuff become these almighty sins? I WANT players to show emotion and not take shit from refs. Are we forgetting how one sided they were that game? The guy was liked in the locker room. I found his jokes and post game mic work in the locker room as something that binds teams. He had leadership qualities in that he WOULD argue with refs. He WOULD stand up for team mates. He WOULD take over the game late and down by a goal. He was part of a pretty exciting offense.

In the end, I think he was too young and unproven to act the way he did. With all these "terrible" things he's done the last 3 years, if you took his name out of it and replaced with an established vet or former captain, this isn't an issue at all. If Callahan slammed a penalty box door. Its intangibles. If Brad Richard's or McD make a comment about a bad play to a player its leadership. If Avery has an off ice persona, he's a god... If Lundqvist blames his D for blowing coverage he's a King..

I feel that a lot of people couldn't get past his political views and that really drove their dislike of a young rising player and that voice and hatred traveled its way up the complaint department at MSG.

Got to be smart about doing and saying things, there is a right and wrong time for everything. You can do a thousand things right, and one wrong, that one is what you will be remembered by. The world we live in. The kid has done as much wrong as right.

Honestly, the people who can’t get past his politics are the people who support them. Every thread about Tony turns into this pathetic “woe is me” “cancel culture!” “The world is soft” fake-tough-guy crybaby shit.

I wanted Tony resigned. I think most fans did. Definitely most fans on this board did. I liked him taunting the Bruins and beating the shit out of the other team. I liked his little internet show he had in the room. I liked that he scored fucking goals and looked like Brian Leetch out there at times.

What’s funny is that when I asked why people wanted to keep him, no one mentioned those things...

You mentioned other teammates fighting each other and dropped about 5 “whataboutisms.” Dunny literally said he liked him “because he owns the libs.”

I’m sorry to say but the people who are clinging to Tony as the victim are the people who support his politics. It’s that simple.

And you can say “the voice of hatred traveled up to the complaint department” but you actually can’t prove that.

What you can prove is that Tony has a history of being a piece of shit to his teammates.

• Like 2