• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

It's actually kind of amusing, I'm going through this same exercise with Jays fans and Trevor Bauer.

My take away is that anybody who deviates from approved messaging and behavior is just simply regarded as a "C*NT" or a "POS" and they're simply persona non grata, and they'd rather lose without the player, then win with them. It's a very different sports consumption culture than what it was fairly recently in the past. The players are the same, but the consumer demographic has shifted immensely.

Or it could just be, that where they land when they deviate from approved messaging and behavior is in the land of cuntiness.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I get that, it's just in case of the Rangers, Sean Avery was and is regarded as a cult hero by many of the same people that deride Deangelo. Many of tbe same people cheer for the Yankees and are fine with Aroldis Chapman.

In the case of the Jays, it Dave Stieb and George Bell. Just utterly miserable assholes. More recently, it was Jose Reyes and Roberto Osuna, guys that literally beat the shit out of women.

There's lots of differences and context, of course, but it's just funny to me that some figures are accepted, warts and all, and others are not.

• Like 1

Outside of 1 or 2 games, their forechecking has actually been pretty good this year in my opinion. The problem has been, and will continue to be, subpar to bad defensive structure that has plagued the Quinn era. The goaltending hadn't yet been able to bale them out, but Igor is back to being Igor. It's really that simple.
Disagree. There have been very long stretches in games so far where the Rangers failed to contest the neutral zone - most acutely in the 3rd period. I'm in DC, so it was music to my ears to hear perpetually annoying color dude Craig Laughlin whining last night about the Caps not being able to reach the Rangers blue line. Better performance there would indicate to me that the forwards are being more defensively conscientious and effective as well as the D structure functioning better overall.

As far as I can tell, the Rangers just played their two most focused, disciplined games of the season (perhaps with the exception of the 2nd Isles game). Nobody is happier to see Igor get his mojo back than I am and it is a necessary condition for success overall. But other pieces have started to come together including team composure in tight spots and not so much line juggling (at least in the top 6) from DQ.

I am not saying it's because DeAngelo is gone, though I will argue that Bitetto has quickly (at least temporarily) helped stabilize what had become a catastrophic 3rd pair (in spite of being saddled with Hajek last night).

One could speculate that removing a recurring distraction might help overall team focus, but there would be no factual basis unless someone from the room said it. I'm just saying a variety of things have started to get better along with the goaltending. Whatever is causing it, gimme more.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Disagree. There have been very long stretches in games so far where the Rangers failed to contest the neutral zone - most acutely in the 3rd period. I'm in DC, so it was music to my ears to hear perpetually annoying color dude Craig Laughlin whining last night about the Caps not being able to reach the Rangers blue line. Better performance there would indicate to me that the forwards are being more defensively conscientious and effective as well as the D structure functioning better overall.

As far as I can tell, the Rangers just played their two most focused, disciplined games of the season (perhaps with the exception of the 2nd Isles game). Nobody is happier to see Igor get his mojo back than I am and it is a necessary condition for success overall. But other pieces have started to come together including team composure in tight spots and not so much line juggling (at least in the top 6) from DQ.

I am not saying it's because DeAngelo is gone, though I will argue that Bitetto has quickly (at least temporarily) helped stabilize what had become a catastrophic 3rd pair (in spite of being saddled with Hajek last night).

One could speculate that removing a recurring distraction might help overall team focus, but there would be no factual basis unless someone from the room said it. I'm just saying a variety of things have started to get better along with the goaltending. Whatever is causing it, gimme more.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I mean, we looked like ass against Pittsburgh for most of the game. Pretty much the entire D Corp were taking penalties except Smith who concussed himself and Fox because he's actually good at hockey.

Last night I can understand. Very good game, but we still haven't even strung two good games together. We just happened to get two wins.

I mean, we looked like ass against Pittsburgh for most of the game. Pretty much the entire D Corp were taking penalties except Smith who concussed himself and Fox because he's actually good at hockey.

Last night I can understand. Very good game, but we still haven't even strung two good games together. We just happened to get two wins.

Most importantly against Pittsburgh, we didn't completely fall apart in the 3rd period.

They've all been 1-goal games and even though in a few of them it felt like we were being dominated at times, we still hung in there. A couple of "post-&-in's" or a bounce here or there and that record could look a bit different.

You know what though fellas, I "feel" them playing better for the most part. They look interested....well, the last 4 games anyway. The effort is there. I saw it in the face of Strome when he scored; his face said it all. Dude was pumped! That's the shit I like to see. Kreider too, when he gets all "'roid raged" in the face when he scores, I love that crap! It's contagious I think.

I know I said it before in my last post, but at the stage this team is at right now, as long as the heart, emotion and effort is there, and I can feel it, I could give a shit about wins and losses....at least for this season. The thing is though, I think this team has an absolute metric fuck ton of talent...if they play with heart and soul, the wins will take care of themselves.

It's a long road, and I'm certain we have a lotta hard miles to go yet. Half the fun with this group is gonna be getting there!

I think of it as, "It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase" ;)

• Like 2

Yeah definitely and I admit I was very worried especially with the way the first two periods went lol

Yeah, that game was a step forward more for composure than structure, LOL.

But last night was different. The Caps have more established guns, but they're older. It was one of the most noticeable times so far when our youth and speed seemed to really set what should have been a better team back on its heels. Like I said, gimme more of that!

Yeah, I get that, it's just in case of the Rangers, Sean Avery was and is regarded as a cult hero by many of the same people that deride Deangelo. Many of tbe same people cheer for the Yankees and are fine with Aroldis Chapman.

In the case of the Jays, it Dave Stieb and George Bell. Just utterly miserable assholes. More recently, it was Jose Reyes and Roberto Osuna, guys that literally beat the shit out of women.

There's lots of differences and context, of course, but it's just funny to me that some figures are accepted, warts and all, and others are not.

Well if it makes you feel better, Avery is on parlor too, and no one seems to care lol.

Could just be ADA is a twat rocket.

This. Isn't. What. Happened.

They gave him a one year deal after he held out. He had a great year. They tried to trade him in the offseason. No takers.

Were they supposed to not qualify him or resign him?

They resigned him. Continued to try to trade him. He was on thin ice for months before the season even started.

Now, two games with him gone, it's pretty obvious a weight has been lifted off their shoulders.

It isn't? Odd, management said Tony never got over his benching... Oh, that's right. Management speaks in secret codes. We can't trust what they say.

It isn't? Odd, management said Tony never got over his benching... Oh, that's right. Management speaks in secret codes. We can't trust what they say.

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. An issue that basically boiled down to "well, he never got over strike 30 so we finally chucked him after strike 31" isn't the reason why we're here. It's because there were actually 31 (or whatever) strikes.

Look, push to shove, the best take I've heard so far on DeAngelo was Sean McIndoe - "It's so sad that cancel culture has gotten to the point where being bad at your job and getting in a fistfight with your coworker gets you fired." Because...yeah, he was playing like rotten garbage, and he clearly couldn't compartmentalize it like a professional. His team looks leaps and bounds better without him on the ice. The superstar forward and starting goalie are literally making fun of him and having fake goalie-skater fist fights post-win. Let's not sit here and pretend that his being out of the locker room hasn't fundamentally changed something, because it's painfully obvious it has.

If you don't think what DeAngelo did, even in the short term, was all that bad - just imagine you pulled the same thing at your work - how would your boss handle that?

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. An issue that basically boiled down to "well, he never got over strike 30 so we finally chucked him after strike 31" isn't the reason why we're here. It's because there were actually 31 (or whatever) strikes.

Look, push to shove, the best take I've heard so far on DeAngelo was Sean McIndoe - "It's so sad that cancel culture has gotten to the point where being bad at your job and getting in a fistfight with your coworker gets you fired." Because...yeah, he was playing like rotten garbage, and he clearly couldn't compartmentalize it like a professional. His team looks leaps and bounds better without him on the ice. The superstar forward and starting goalie are literally making fun of him and having fake goalie-skater fist fights post-win. Let's not sit here and pretend that his being out of the locker room hasn't fundamentally changed something, because it's painfully obvious it has.

If you don't think what DeAngelo did, even in the short term, was all that bad - just imagine you pulled the same thing at your work - how would your boss handle that?

Well, here’s the issue with your narrative - Georgiev

Well, here’s the issue with your narrative - Georgiev

We don't know what discipline Georgiev faced, nor do we know what the history is. The only reason we know pieces of DeAngelo's history is because apparently it had gotten bad enough that he's now gone.

Unless, of course, you think it appropriate for organizations to air their HR dirty laundry in the media?

McIndoe is even more of a hack than I thought possible if he thinks this is performance related. Just another The Athletic type cultural zealot with an axe to grind. Dime a dozen at the Jacobin of sports publications.

That's not his argument. His argument is that he was bad at his job. Which - if he can't deal with in-game bad breaks without throwing a tantrum, can't take feedback, he can't control his emotions, he can't not be a dick to his teammates, and apparently, can't even do what we're paying him to do on the ice (seriously, go look at his play this year and tell me he was doing his job with a straight face) - yeah, he's bad at his job.

That's not his argument. His argument is that he was bad at his job. Which - if he can't deal with in-game bad breaks without throwing a tantrum, can't take feedback, he can't control his emotions, he can't not be a dick to his teammates, and apparently, can't even do what we're paying him to do on the ice (seriously, go look at his play this year and tell me he was doing his job with a straight face) - yeah, he's bad at his job.

It was four games lmao.

Isn’t it funny how we see what we want to see? Some see Shesty and breadman as making fun of ADA. Others see it as them making fun of social media for acting like it was a huge deal.

But hey, I guess we know what’s in the mind of the players when they joke around.

It was four games lmao.

It's amazing ain't it? Now he was bad at his job LOL...what in the ever loving fuck? That is exactly why we can't take anyone's word for it when they say it had nothing to do with DeAngelo's off the ice opinions. There's no logical argument to say a 60 point defenseman was bad at his job for 4 games, therefore he gets the boot. Someone only says that when they are looking to back up other narratives (i.e., they hate his opinions and fuel their hatred with anything, including misrepresenting his play on ice).

He's not here anymore for off the ice stuff, both in the locker room AND outside of the locker room. Period. It has zero to do with on ice performance over 4 games given what he accomplished last season.

• Like 1

We don't know what discipline Georgiev faced, nor do we know what the history is. The only reason we know pieces of DeAngelo's history is because apparently it had gotten bad enough that he's now gone.

Unless, of course, you think it appropriate for organizations to air their HR dirty laundry in the media?

Your story is based on two things

1) bad at his job

2) fight with his teammate

Based on sample size, Georgiev is much worse at his job. And started a fight with a teammate.

This is exactly why it’s a bias viewpoint.

If he got waived, fine. Not sure why people keep fabricating these stories to make themselves “I told you so” winners.

Poor management, everything about this is poor management.

• Like 1

Isn’t it funny how we see what we want to see? Some see Shesty and breadman as making fun of ADA. Others see it as them making fun of social media for acting like it was a huge deal.

But hey, I guess we know what’s in the mind of the players when they joke around.

I think it's a little of both, but joking around about it lightens the mood and eases up some tension in my opinion. So good for them.

I think why Josh’s point is, since you keep liking what happens in a hockey club to what happens in “real life jobs” is that if ANY of us decided to clock our coworker even if there was a history of insubordination and he or she was a troubled coworker, we would be likely fired on the spot also. Georgiev isn’t out of a job, thankfully. But you know why? Because the pro sport world isn’t our world so I’m not sure why we keep going back to that.

1) bad at his job

Based on sample size, Georgiev is much worse at his job. And started a fight with a teammate.

If he got waived, fine. Not sure why people keep fabricating these stories to make themselves “I told you so” winners.

You're conveniently ignoring the constant repeated refrain from MSG leadership that this was a long string of events for DeAngelo. And, again, we do not know what happened with Georgiev. He might have been fined. He might have lost starts. We have no idea. DeAngelo might have said something to him that half the team heard and they all agreed Georgiev went lightly on him.

What we do know is this: No guy should be allowed to just go around his workplace talking shit to his co-workers, actively hurting his team outcomes both on-ice and off, acting like a poor teammate when he doesn't get his way, disrespecting his boss, and goading his teammates into fights. You want to work somewhere like that?At your workplace, does that stand? Do you think it should?

It's honestly painful watching some of you twist yourselves into pretzels to defend any of this behavior solely to get angry at...what? Just to stan whatever perception of cancel culture makes it okay to be a dick to all your coworkers with no consequences?

You're conveniently ignoring the constant repeated refrain from MSG leadership that this was a long string of events for DeAngelo. And, again, we do not know what happened with Georgiev. He might have been fined. He might have lost starts. We have no idea. DeAngelo might have said something to him that half the team heard and they all agreed Georgiev went lightly on him.

What we do know is this: No guy should be allowed to just go around his workplace talking shit to his co-workers, actively hurting his team outcomes both on-ice and off, acting like a poor teammate when he doesn't get his way, disrespecting his boss, and goading his teammates into fights. You want to work somewhere like that?At your workplace, does that stand? Do you think it should?

It's honestly painful watching the board right-wing crew twist themselves into pretzels to defend any of this behavior solely to get angry at...what? Just to stan whatever perception of cancel culture makes it okay to be a dick to all your coworkers with no consequences?

Yup, exactly.

1) bad at his job

Horrible management by every party involved. He played what, like 150 or so games for this franchise before this season? Who in this organization didn’t know that he’s mercurial? So you have the opportunity to walk away but you don’t. Why? Because he’s fucking talented. Very talented. It’s 100% understandable to not walk away from that. But Once you don’t, and you sign him to TWO years, drawing that line in the sand after one game is just further mismanagement when you damn well know Quinn and ADA are going to butt heads. They even said ADA couldn’t get over the benching. And apparently they knew it, knew they had drawn the line in the sand, had previously tried unsuccessfully to trade him, possibly BOTH before and after re-upping with no good success. Why, on gods green earth, did the organization decide to NOT step in, sit this guy down long term privately when they knew he wasn’t doing well and it was a matter of time?

Listen I get it’s ultimately ADAs fault. It is. But this organization is ran by a nearly 70 year old President in JD that’s been in every aspect of the game over 50 years and a 50 something old GM in Jeff Gorton that’s been in management since the 1990s. Neither of those two knew this was on its way to happening with all that experience ? Quinn I sort of understand. He doesn’t know wtf to do in day to day management let alone how to handle that also, but the other two didn’t see this?

ADA is a douche, but he’s 24. Not 17 so he should know better but he’s still only 24 and obviously needs some sort of actual help. To me they almost left him to flounder knowing damn well what was on its way to happening and, if some of you guys are right, almost lost a hockey club along the way from handling this whole thing like a circus.

• Like 1