• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NY GIANTS Discussion

Parsley

On 12/16/2023 at 6:42 PM, Bieser said:

Daniel Jones is guaranteed 40 million next year.  Not sure they'd take a qb.  They won't make the playoffs.  They have the Eagles twice.  They'll probably get 8-9-10 and that's fine.

If they would draft properly that would be enough.  3 first round offensive lineman and the O Line stinks.  Taking Jones too early when he's still likely to be there with their next pick. 

If you want a QB I think Jayden Daniels may be there and I have a hunch he's just as good.  Reminds me of Hurts.

Ride the wave and have fun.  Like  Herm Edwards said...." You play to win the game". 

I think you have to take a QB if your guy is there. It's a miracle or a big trade to get Williams or Maye at this point, but I think you're right to think Daniels is there. I'm not sure I am sold on Daniels, but a two year starter in the SEC that turns around and wins a Heisman can't be ignored. That, and if you legitimately think that this team will be worse next season - which feels like a pretty realistic outcome - you have to wonder what you do if you draft Daniels and suddenly sit on a top pick in 2025. It's a very complicated thing, and you couldn't really blame the Giants for thinking "okay, we'll grab a playmaker, ride Jones through next season, and take a swing at the 2025 QB class". It's a rich class, and it'll probably get richer as QBs defer 2024 to try and get the guaranteed money a top-end pick comes with.

The "out" for Jones is there after next season, even if it comes with a significant dead cap hit (22.2M) for just one season, and if the Giants play the cards right, that cap hit fades just about when it's time to hit the accelerator and start contending for titles again. 

Daniel Jones has value for a new QB draftee.  He's like a guarantee the guy will not see the field year one unless he is clearly ready to go.

If I were the Giants I'd draft a QB somewhere in the top 36 picks or so next year.  That's kind of the range where you have a 50/50-ish chance they work out.  After that, with all the teams in the NFL saying no and the worst teams saying no twice, the odds on them working out drops off some.

Giants are fine at QB IMO. If I'm Schoen I'm rolling with Jones as my guy and I don't care what his numbers were without half the offense against top tier teams. That doesn't override last year's performance and playoff performance, and why they gave him a contract in the first place. A top 3 pick on a QB offers very little guarantees and is honestly a desperation move. Build a team. They should still draft a QB in the mid rounds this year who can work through the ranks and doesn't have expectations for the franchise past being a good backup QB. Of course, if Jones doesn't work out, maybe you get lucky with that pick, but I don't see why they should turn down a great player at a premium position (WR, CB in particular) in the draft to chuck a dart in the QB lottery with a premium pick when it's not proven they need it.

Edited by BrooksBurner

$40M a year for a below average QB is a problem for any team.  I'd be looking to make Jones available in a trade and hoping somebody made me an offer.

The NFL paradigm is all wrong right now.  The really good QB's are taking 25% of the cap when they absolutely do not have that impact on their team's chances to win.  Given that circumstance it looks reasonable to give an average guy 20% of the cap but it really is not because you can't win that way either.

Win with a guy on his first contract and in the 4th year of that contra ct you draft his replacement.  That's what the paradigm should be.

• 2 months later...

I think it was a good day for the Giants. Spent the money where it needed to be spent

Couldn't give a fuck where Barkley went. Good for him getting paid - glad it wasn't here. He wasn't going to be part of a solution. RBs rarely are

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Odunze is better in my eye and more mature. Very happy Bears fan here. 

I'd have been happy with Odunze too for the Giants. I agree I think he's more mature, and also more of a prototypical X receiver. I think Nabers is significantly more electric though. Quicker, more explosive, by a large margin.

• Cheers 1

You guys both did really well.  The Giants got a really good player for DJ, now I hope they reset the clock on him and give him a chance to show what he's got, now with at least a solid weapon.

The Raiders got that TE from Georgia (Bowers).  He's a good guy to step right in and add to that offense with Devonte!  Now all we need is someone to throw them the fucking ball!  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

You guys both did really well.  The Giants got a really good player for DJ, now I hope they reset the clock on him and give him a chance to show what he's got, now with at least a solid weapon.

The Raiders got that TE from Georgia (Bowers).  He's a good guy to step right in and add to that offense with Devonte!  Now all we need is someone to throw them the fucking ball!  LOL

I saw Bowers in the top 10 of most drafts. I think the Raiders got good value. There's nothing they can do when there's a blitz of 6 QBs before pick 13 lol

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I saw Bowers in the top 10 of most drafts. I think the Raiders got good value. There's nothing they can do when there's a blitz of 6 QBs before pick 13 lol

We'll get one.  Over the past several years there's been a bunch of teams that have gone QB crazy in the first round, and many haven't worked out so well.  I remember years ago, maybe 1 or 2 went in the first round and most went later in the draft.  It's changed a lot since then.

I'm not relly worried;  I think there's going to be a QB somewhere in the league that can play under Antonio Pierce.  We have a lot of weapons, I just hope we address our defense a little bit more this off season.  I think we will, especially since AP is a defensive kinda guy.

It's still a long road for us to go, but I'm a glutton for punishment!  It's probably the best training in being a Rangers fan!!  Now you see why I can be so resilient!  I've had training with this fucking team since 1974!  LOL

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

Atlanta Falcons lol 

Yeah, it looks like an interesting pick to put it mildly.

The guy Penix really reminds me of is Dan Fouts.  Not adjusted for era or anything he just plays like Fouts did.

No idea if Fouts would be really good in today's NHL.  He was the next evolution of the Namath/Lamonica model and he did really well at the time, but no championships because Chargers.

26 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Yeah, it looks like an interesting pick to put it mildly.

The guy Penix really reminds me of is Dan Fouts.  Not adjusted for era or anything he just plays like Fouts did.

No idea if Fouts would be really good in today's NHL.  He was the next evolution of the Namath/Lamonica model and he did really well at the time, but no championships because Chargers.

He was a good broadcaster too. I liked his commentary.

• Keeps it 100 1