• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NY GIANTS Discussion

Parsley

2 hours ago, Shane Falco said:

I love Barkley. I can understand the argument for letting him walk. I guess it really comes down to the window Schoen and Co have in mind with this rebuild. Because if you let a talent like that walk, you're stuck trying to fill it in with guys in FA who will come up short. Saquon was a huge part of this year's offense. 

Tough choices for a young GM, but I like what he's been saying so far. Seems he's much more level headed then what the Giants have had before (see gettlefuck) Anxious to see how it plays out.

It's a tough call for sure. Barkley is a fan favorite and also a great player. I think the ideal approach this offseason is to re-sign Jones and tag Barkley (I think that's $10M for RBs next year). I'm just not sure how Barkley would take that...

I wouldn't put it past Schoen to go the most non-committal route that he can either, which is to not give a long term deal to either. That would probably be just tagging Jones and letting Barkley walk. The Giants will be incredibly cap strapped for one more season. They have to cut Kenny Golladay, and it's probably in their best long term interest to flat out cut Leonard Williams (his $32M cap hit is 100% not going to happen). A lot of dead cap will be on the books next season.

Edited by rmc51

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Probably about $5-10M more per than anyone was expecting for Jones a couple months ago, but the market absolutely does not lie. 33 year old journeyman Geno Smith got 35 a year off one good season. Derek Carr, who I think DJ is better than, got $37.5 a year. This is what DJ is worth in this market.

I will say Schoen misplayed his hand not picking up the option last spring.

2 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

How in all hell does Daniel Jones get 8-20 million more a year than Lamar?

I like the guy, but come on. This is bonkers.

Lamar got 1 yr franchise tagged. That’s why. He wanted more than Watson’s contract. Something like $250 million, all guaranteed, on an extension. It’s all about the guaranteed money. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a team roll in (Jets?), give it to him, and pay Baltimore the two first round pick compensation.

Hot take: DJ was better than Lamar last year, and if he’s given legitimate weapons I think he continues that trajectory of being a better QB than Lamar.

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lamar got 1 yr franchise tagged. That’s why. He wanted more than Watson’s contract. Something like $250 million, all guaranteed, on an extension. It’s all about the guaranteed money. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a team roll in (Jets?), give it to him, and pay Baltimore the two first round pick compensation.

Hot take: DJ was better than Lamar last year, and if he’s given legitimate weapons I think he continues that trajectory of being a better QB than Lamar.

Jones has surely shut my mouth that's for sure.  I was very anti-Jones.  I didn't think he had It.  I hope to continue to eat crow in the years to come.

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Some details that have leaked:

1 - A year 1 cap hit of 19m. This leaves the Giants with far more flexibility than originally anticipated

2 - A team opt-out after year 2. If it goes tits-up, it's gone.

This makes sense.

Well that’s good. Still need to give this guy some weapons. Can’t be paying him 40 millions to throw to scrubs and scramble for TD’s all season. 

Edited by Parsley
  • Keeps it 100 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Sometimes these kinds of losses are beneficial if they happen early in the season, but the glaring holes at OL that have plagued the team for a decade+ were more present than ever. Schmitz as a rookie C is going to have some stumbles. That's OK. Evan Neal looked terrible and out of place, which is not a good sign because I was looking for an improved sophomore season like what we saw from Andrew Thomas his 2nd year. Seeing less Andrew Thomas and more Ereck Flowers. I'm not sure he's got the chops to be a tackle, and he may be better served moving into the guard position. Not ideal for a 6th overall, and it still leaves a hole at RT, but the guard position on this team stinks too so it at least would fill a need.

I expected some hiccups out of Schmitz, but Thomas is a goddamn All-Pro and Neal was a five-star recruit and three year starter for Alabama. These guys should be so much better than they were last night.

I get that slowing that Dallas D down isn't an easy task, but you gotta do better than whatever that was.