• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn’t Quinn on that team?

As was Laviolette.

Plus:

Doug Weight

Corey Millen

Rob Zamuner

Steven King

Randy Moller

Mark Janssens

Jody Hull

Jeff Bloemberg

And Dan Lacroix

Odd. Lots of coaches came from this group.

All of that team contributed to the Rangers in their own ways and some had decent careers. Hate to nitpick, but that's about the time I started watching.

As was Laviolette.

Plus:

Doug Weight

Corey Millen

Rob Zamuner

Steven King

Randy Moller

Mark Janssens

Jody Hull

Jeff Bloemberg

And Dan Lacroix

Odd. Lots of coaches came from this group.

All of that team contributed to the Rangers in their own ways and some had decent careers. Hate to nitpick, but that's about the time I started watching.

Reminder about losing Fast; Jody Hull, Blair Betts, Jan Erixon, Esa Tikkanen and Freddie Sjostrom were all roughly the same kind of player; very good defense first forwards who don't give you much offensively. If Gorton thinks he can fill that hole, he probably can. It has been done before .

Reminder about losing Fast; Jody Hull, Blair Betts, Jan Erixon, Esa Tikkanen and Freddie Sjostrom were all roughly the same kind of player; very good defense first forwards who don't give you much offensively. If Gorton thinks he can fill that hole, he probably can. It has been done before .

Not to nitpick your point but Tikkanen had over 50 points the year we won the cup. He would have been like 4th or so on our team lol

Not to nitpick your point but Tikkanen had over 50 points the year we won the cup. He would have been like 4th or so on our team lol

Yeah, Tikkanen definitely doesn't belong in that group. But I agree with the point.

I thought Koivu would have been a good fit. Hopefully they can get someone to fill that spot. Who is out there as a free agent to do it?

Don't worry about it fellas, the best is still yet to come. Just have to stay the course and eventually all this will make sense down the road a little bit. Not to follow blindly, but I'm sure they're not just doing this blindly; gotta believe there's a plan in place moving forward.

Good Lord, when do I become the voice of reason??? Oh that's right...I'm not!! :rofl:

No really....These are looking like just 1 and 2 year signings for a team that needs to revamp Hartford, and field a team for next season. We have so much dead cap space next year, and it's going to be another abbreviated season due to this fucking Covid shit anyway. Fuck it...make it a "get experience for the young guns", dump all the rest of the dead weight, cap space burden, and then we're all set moving forward.

It's looking more and more like a 2 year plan, and the fuck with it...I'm on board!

• Like 1

I don’t like losing Fast. Nor do I like the cap situation they are in .

But it’s ok...

The cap cleans up for them after next season

They weren’t going to be contenders this coming season anyway IMO.

They’re still developing young players and waiting for others.

Nothing they did this off-season was going to change any of the above in all likelihood.

A suitable replacement can be found for Fast when the time comes.

They’ll have both dollars and assets to get what they need.

It’s not a player I like losing but it’s not devastating either.

• Like 1

I don’t like losing Fast. Nor do I like the cap situation they are in .

But it’s ok...

The cap cleans up for them after next season

They weren’t going to be contenders this coming season anyway IMO.

They’re still developing young players and waiting for others.

Nothing they did this off-season was going to change any of the above in all likelihood.

A suitable replacement can be found for Fast when the time comes.

They’ll have both dollars and assets to get what they need.

It’s not a player I like losing but it’s not devastating either.

I'm still slightly confused as to the performance bonus aspect of the cap. Do they have to allocate for this for every year of entry-level contracts? I know we have a ton of dead money coming off the books next year but I'm assuming we'll still have to budge for performance bonuses again?

I'm still slightly confused as to the performance bonus aspect of the cap. Do they have to allocate for this for every year of entry-level contracts? I know we have a ton of dead money coming off the books next year but I'm assuming we'll still have to budge for performance bonuses again?

The potential performance bonuses are considered when looking at the summer overage of 7.5%.

Bonus can be applied to current season or next season, but all performance bonuses are counted during the summer cap.

So the Rangers have a shit ton of ELCs w/ bonus money possibly awarded. This is the first time I can remember (my memory is pretty foggy) that this bonus money was ever a concern or even mentioned in passing. So basically they may have enough to pay their FAs and that's about it?

Many people are saying that but i dont see why we can't get a bridge deal for DeAngelo, after the year he had he probably wants long term, hard telling after next year we'll be sitting great cap wise and i think the goal for the front office is to not screw that up..

Many people are saying that but i dont see why we can't get a bridge deal for DeAngelo, after the year he had he probably wants long term, hard telling after next year we'll be sitting great cap wise and i think the goal for the front office is to not screw that up..

Put another way:

We have $18.8M in apparent cap space right now. $10.1M of that is held for performance bonuses.

We have less than half our actual cap space. We have approximately 8.7M to figure out Strome, DeAngelo, Georgiev, Lemieux, and DiGiuseppe.