• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free agency starts today at noon. What will be the first signing for the Rangers? I'm thinking Matt Martin. Where there's smoke, there's fire and it seems like the smoke has picked up considerably on Martin.

Fourth-liner(s) and bottom-pairing D. I've also been told they'll sign an AHL goalie to replace Berube (and to expose to Seattle).

Derek Grant, Nick Cousins, Craig Smith, Vinnie Hinostroza and Cody Eakin could well get a call. Again, though, the Rangers are not in prime position to outbid teams.

There is a need on the back end for a veteran to keep the spot warm for a year or two until the prospects are ready to play. Trevor van Riemsdyk, Troy Stecher, Ron Hainsey, Jon Merrill, Troy Stecher, Slater Koekkoek, Zach Bogosian and Luke Schenn are among the candidates.

Larry's take. I think Eakin would be solid and I like Koekkoek....some of the others don't make much sense to me since they are primarily Right D. I like Stecher a lot but he I don't think he plays the left side at all. Same with van Riemsdyk.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/09/what-rangers-strategy-will-be-as-free-agency-opens/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Is their a way to watch SN coverage online?

Legally? I'm not sure. SN might stream it. They have in the past. But like TSN, they sometimes throw it behind a geo-wall.

We don't allow illegal links to be posted here, but I'm sure you could find one at Reddit pretty quickly if you were so inclined.

Larry's take. I think Eakin would be solid and I like Koekkoek....some of the others don't make much sense to me since they are primarily Right D. I like Stecher a lot but he I don't think he plays the left side at all. Same with van Riemsdyk.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/09/what-rangers-strategy-will-be-as-free-agency-opens/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Troy Stetcher must be really good, he got listed twice.

I don't think today is gonna be wild, like everyone predicted. (which is what everyone predicts every year).

Seems like there's a lot of teams in the same position: trying to trade players and get out from under "bad" contracts. Gorton seemed to indicate that there were a lot of trade talks but nobody actually pulled the trigger. Bobby Mac said that since the early negotiations weren't allowed this year, it just seems like a this offseason with be a slow trickle instead of a tsunami.

Free agency starts today at noon. What will be the first signing for the Rangers? I'm thinking Matt Martin. Where there's smoke, there's fire and it seems like the smoke has picked up considerably on Martin.

Shattenkirk or Namestnikov

They're first signing will be an AHLer we've never heard of.

I don't think today is gonna be wild, like everyone predicted. (which is what everyone predicts every year).

Seems like there's a lot of teams in the same position: trying to trade players and get out from under "bad" contracts. Gorton seemed to indicate that there were a lot of trade talks but nobody actually pulled the trigger. Bobby Mac said that since the early negotiations weren't allowed this year, it just seems like a this offseason with be a slow trickle instead of a tsunami.

But this is exactly why it might be crazy - there are only so many players that can fill holes. You dont want to spend just as much for your third or fourth choice because you wouldnt spend slightly more on your target.

but yeah, I dont think its going to be crazy, Just sayin

Here's what I have so far: I'll update this post as the day moves along for you guys. Saves the trouble of looking anywhere else!!! ...Like there's any other place to be than here.....HA!! :rofl:

Free Agent Signings:

• Montreal Canadiens sign Victor Mete to a one-year, $735,000 contract.

• Chicago Blackhawks sign Dominik Kubalik to a two-year, $7.4 million contract.

• Chicago Blackhawks sign Malcolm Subban to a two-year, $1.7 million contract.

• Toronto Maple Leafs sign Wayne Simmonds to a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

• Detroit Red Wings sign Bobby Ryan to a one-year, $1 million contract.

• Tampa Bay Lightning sign Pat Maroon to a two-year, $1.8 million contract.

• Tampa Bay Lightning sign Luke Schenn to a one-year, $800,000 contract.

• Vancouver Canucks sign Tyler Motte to a two-year, $2.45 million contract.

• Florida Panthers sign Radko Gudas to a three-year, $7.5 million contract.

• Detroit Red Wings sign Jon Merrill to a one-year, $925,000 contract.

• Florida Panthers sign Carter Verhaeghe to a two-year, $2 million contract.

• Washington Capitals sign Henrik Lundqvist to a one-year, $1.5 million contract

• Edmonton Oilers sign Kyle Turrris to a two-year, $3.3 million contract.

• Edmonton Oilers sign Alan Quine to a one-year, $750,000 contract.

• Minnesota Wild signs Cam Talbot to a three-year, $11 million contract.

Source: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/10/09/nhl-free-agency-tracker-2020-taylor-hall-alex-pietrangelo-torey-krug/

Trades:

• The Winnipeg Jets acquired Paul Stastny from the Vegas Golden Knights for Carl Dahlstrom and 2022 fourth round pick

Source: http://puckpedia.com/trades

• Like 2