• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

many of them start a lot younger (Paul Maurice was 28 when he started as an assistant coach in NHL, but already won the Chapionship in OHL just before that as a head coach) in their NHL career or they have accumulated a lot of AHL coaching experience and/or a lot of assistant coach experience in NHL.

Quinn was a head coach in the NCAA which is > than the OHL

He was also a head coach in the AHL and assistant for the avalanche

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quinn was a head coach in the NCAA which is > than the OHL

He was also a head coach in the AHL and assistant for the avalanche

Dude, I am not blind, I can see his record, color me unimpressed. And his choice of assistant coaches unimpressive too.

many of them start a lot younger (Paul Maurice was 28 when he started as an assistant coach in NHL, but already won the Chapionship in OHL just before that as a head coach) in their NHL career or they have accumulated a lot of AHL coaching experience and/or a lot of assistant coach experience in NHL.

You know what?s really cool... when Paul and I grab beers we talk about all of the Stanley Cups we have won combined... which is ZERO.

You need to start making better arguments to support getting rid of Quinn. So far they don?t hold water.

You know what’s really cool... when Paul and I grab beers we talk about all of the Stanley Cups we have won combined... which is ZERO.

You need to start making better arguments to support getting rid of Quinn. So far they don’t hold water.

I never really liked Paul Maurice too much as a coach though. Was just an example of a young coach getting a start in NHL at an actual young age, not 51.

Dude, I am not blind, I can see his record, color me unimpressed. And his choice of assistant coaches unimpressive too.

I was just pointing out your mistake of saying he?s not had any NHL experience.

And somewhat lose as to why you way you want someone with experience, and then reference Maurice?s experience before he came to the NHL.

At this point and time i have no clue as to what your point is.

I was just pointing out your mistake of saying he’s not had any NHL experience.

And somewhat lose as to why you way you want someone with experience, and then reference Maurice’s experience before he came to the NHL.

At this point and time i have no clue as to what your point is.

I think it's missing the point: Quinn isn't here to win....yet.

What brought Quinn to the Rangers is simple: he's got a track record of developing NHL talent out of 18-22 year olds. In five years with BU, he coached:

Matt Gryzleck

Evan Rodrigues

Danny O'Regan

Jack Eichel

Charlie McAvoy

Jordan Greenway

Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dante Fabbro

Clayton Keller

Brady Tkachuk

As well as a few players who should make the NHL in short order:

Kieffer Bellows

Jake Oettinger

Shane Bowers

He's a developmental coach right now - and sure, a few of these guys (Eichel, namely) showed up with the skill, but that's a pretty impressive group of folks making an impact/on the verge here. When you're building from that general talent base of 1st round caliber 18 year olds, you want someone who knows how to handle first round caliber talent like Quinn does.

Next season, he likely needs to start moving the needle from development to winning, and that's going to require a balance that he's not yet been able to, nor has needed to strike.

I think it's missing the point: Quinn isn't here to win....yet.

What brought Quinn to the Rangers is simple: he's got a track record of developing NHL talent out of 18-22 year olds. In five years with BU, he coached:

Matt Gryzleck

Evan Rodrigues

Danny O'Regan

Jack Eichel

Charlie McAvoy

Jordan Greenway

Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dante Fabbro

Clayton Keller

Brady Tkachuk

As well as a few players who should make the NHL in short order:

Kieffer Bellows

Jake Oettinger

Shane Bowers

He's a developmental coach right now - and sure, a few of these guys (Eichel, namely) showed up with the skill, but that's a pretty impressive group of folks making an impact/on the verge here. When you're building from that general talent base of 1st round caliber 18 year olds, you want someone who knows how to handle first round caliber talent like Quinn does.

Next season, he likely needs to start moving the needle from development to winning, and that's going to require a balance that he's not yet been able to, nor has needed to strike.

#1 to Senators for Tkachuk confirmed.

I'm not even listening on Laf unless we're hearing picks and Tkachuk.

Though, rumor is that STHs for the Rangers have already gotten the "come see Lafreniere" marketing stuff, so....

He'll be a Ranger, G-man! He ain't goin' no place, my man!!! :thumbs:

I'm on board the "fuck over Tampa this time" train. Get me Point, Cirelli, or Sergachev. Make them pay for their shitty cap situation. Offer sheet one of the latter two if needed to put them under the gun to make a decision. I'd give them an offer for Point with a window to make a decision or I'm offer sheeting Sergachev or Cirelli, in that order. Fuck that franchise.

I wonder if there was a way to get a second late first or do our later first, next years first, and Lunkvist for Sergachev and Cirelli together since they can’t afford them without getting a main piece. Obviously it means walking away from Strome and ADA but I’m okay with that.

I'm not saying Quinn isn't a developmental guy, but pointing to BU doesn't make sense to me. 1) that's not a developmental league and 2) He got all the plumb recruits by default.

It's not a developmental league for approximately 16 teams (really, more like 8, if we're being honest). For all the others, that's exactly what it is. You're building or competing. There's no third option.

I wonder if there was a way to get a second late first or do our later first, next years first, and Lunkvist for Sergachev and Cirelli together since they can?t afford them without getting a main piece. Obviously it means walking away from Strome and ADA but I?m okay with that.

Im probably the only one, but I would trade Miller before Lundkvist. He most likely has more value and I think Lundkvist will be the better player.

I know we need LD more than RD, but in this scenario (we get a good LD in return) then I think its fine.

Im probably the only one, but I would trade Miller before Lundkvist. He most likely has more value and I think Lundkvist will be the better player.

I know we need LD more than RD, but in this scenario (we get a good LD in return) then I think its fine.

more than likely they would ask for that anways lol

I guess I was wrong:

20th Overall: Four of the New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens, Dallas Stars, Calgary Flames or Vancouver Canucks advancing to the Conference Finals.

21st Overall: Three of the New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens, Dallas Stars, Calgary Flames or Vancouver Canucks advancing to the Conference Finals.

22nd Overall: Two of the New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens, Dallas Stars, Calgary Flames or Vancouver Canucks advancing to the Conference Finals.

23rd Overall: One of the New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens, Dallas Stars, Calgary Flames or Vancouver Canucks advancing to the Conference Finals.

24th Overall: None of the lower seeded teams advance to the Conference Finals, thus resulting in the pick remaining where it started.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2020/8/20/21376846/where-could-the-rangers-other-first-round-selection-end-up-rangers-draft-picks-2020-hurricanes-skjei

As I sit here a bit bored while the better half snores in my ear I started rethinking a bit. You figure Strome is going to sign a 1 year deal since ufa is after next season. ADA has a few more seasons. Maybe you can get him to agree to 6x3 and get Strome for around 6x1. You have to find a taker for Smith to allow a bit more coin to address a 4th line better even if it costs you a b prospect or package with Georgiev. There should be the cheap Brian Boyles out there.

The following offseason for prior to the 21/22 season we have 45m in cap space we lose from Staal, Hank, Buch, chytil, Howden, Gauthier, Lindgren. Staal and Hank are gone so there is plenty of money there and even some to negotiate with Ziby for an extension since he’s going into his last year. It seems we are in pretty good shape.

I mean...the Islanders suddenly look good to make the ECF. Dallas or Vancouver getting an upset isn't out of the question.

We're probably going to pick 23rd.

So at around 23 who are we going to draft? If we draft Laf #1. I would hate to see us draft another LW or D and there is no Goalie at that range. So Center is top choice and and and last choice should be RW, which eliminates the guy I really wanted in Lukas Reichel. What RW and Centers will be available at around 23?